Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Mar 23, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #601 of 19,138
I used to have a Marantz 2230 that sounds like heaven with paired with brighter headphones like Grados. Very good value considering it's also got a great FM tuner, phono pre and other goodies.

- FW

Mar 23, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #603 of 19,138
That -20dB mute button is awesome. Wish all receivers had it.

Mar 24, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #605 of 19,138

Quote:
This is what came today. It on itw way back to the seller and I left negative feedback and opened an Ebay case. Tomorrow I go look at a Luxman 1040 from a local seller, That the best part of it in the picture

Plus I have emails stating no chips no scratches in mint condition. And this is from a 100 percent positive feedback so beware when you looking ebay. This is the worst condition I have ever seen a piece. The dust and cord looked like they been as old as the receiver.

Mar 24, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #607 of 19,138

Quote:
Try using the -20dB mute button.

Does the tuner work?

I saw that button and promptly forgot about it.  It's great.  Now the volume slider's on 3.  The power meters even flicker a little.

The tuner works great.  Stations are at the correct frequency and are very clear even without an antenna.  Seek doesn't work without an antenna, but there's only a few stations I really listen too so that doesn't matter.

Quote:
This is what came today. It on itw way back to the seller and I left negative feedback and opened an Ebay case. Tomorrow I go look at a Luxman 1040 from a local seller, That the best part of it in the picture

The Kyocera has even more damage but it was fully disclosed in the auction with pictures,  It's obviously been dropped more than once but it's a tank.  The wood on the top and bottom left corners has been crushed with only slight damage to the metal on the top left.

Mar 24, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #608 of 19,138
That's a bummer, Frank.  Fortunately the guy who shipped me a Pioneer SX-780 with poor packaging refunded my money without my needing to leave negative feedback or open a case.  But after that I vowed to buy locally only, and the two receivers I bought here in Chicagoland are awesome.

Mar 24, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #609 of 19,138
Rob I had emails from this seller telling me there were no scratching,no chip and it was their personal receiver and no way would I be unhappy with this one. No answers to my emails and frankly people need to know this seller is not selling the proper way. I opened the case because I feel not only should get the money and shipping back plus the return shipping. We live and learn. Negative feedback in this instance was really called for. Local at least you can see it which is the way i bought the 2220B and hopefully find one at the guys home tomorrow that will be as nice. He telling me the Luxman 1040 is super nice.

Mar 24, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #610 of 19,138

Quote:

I saw that button and promptly forgot about it.  It's great.  Now the volume slider's on 3.  The power meters even flicker a little.

The tuner works great.  Stations are at the correct frequency and are very clear even without an antenna.  Seek doesn't work without an antenna, but there's only a few stations I really listen too so that doesn't matter.

The Kyocera has even more damage but it was fully disclosed in the auction with pictures,  It's obviously been dropped more than once but it's a tank.  The wood on the top and bottom left corners has been crushed with only slight damage to the metal on the top left.

If I would seen all the pictures and I ionly showed one (Rob seen them all) the receiver wI got was way worse and when i asked I got an email it no scrates or chip my personal receiver and you will be happy with it. Not only was it misrepresented in ebay add but the pictures I have of the back clearly show it has not even been plugged in in years and so bad i would be afraid to plug it in. Plain simple it should not be sold. At least your selller was honest and it was your choice my seller flat out lied.

Mar 24, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #613 of 19,138
This is my new favorite thread
popcorn.gif
all i can say is wow

Mar 24, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #614 of 19,138

Quote:

The tuner works great.  Seek doesn't work without an antenna, but there's only a few stations I really listen too so that doesn't matter.  It's a tank.

Glad you found the "mute" (we should call it a "pad" but "mute" will do) useful. That volume slider works well but some folks complain that it's difficult to make fine adjustments near the bottom; with sensitive headphones (which didn't exist in 1982) it's true-- you'd be in trouble without that -20dB switch.

Glad also to hear the tuner works. It is an excellent tuner (stick a foot and a half of hookup wire in the center of the 75-ohm antenna terminal and see how many stations you get), but time has for some reason not been kind to many of them. Press the AUTO/MANUAL button and the FM mute will go on and your seek function will come back. Stick a 75-ohm balun on a plain set of VHF rabbit ears and then see how many stations you get.

One of the reasons I like the R-851, aside from the sound and the versatile semiparametric EQ, is the lack of glass windows and protruding knobs. This makes it much easier to pack for shipping and increases the likelihood of its arriving without scathe. Not as sexy and inviting as a Pioneer SX-1250, I admit, but still modern-looking.

Mar 25, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #615 of 19,138
Craps Frank thats one SX in pitiful condition. im glad u\re shipping it back immediately as its a clear case of misrepresentation atbest, at worst its fraud so its good u're giving him neg feedback  to warn others of his shenigans. unfortunetly buying 30+ yrs old vintage (or even just used) equipment can be a bit of a crapshoot & its best to eyeball it personally. even then there's no assurance it wont croak on u.

for sure thats the major drawback to buying vintage but there's some gems & bargains to be had if one's careful. but ofcos, it would be even better if one is adept at EE & have the requisite diy skills. to that effect, i've bought myself a decent soldering station + tools with some cheap receivers/amps to practise on. dismantling, replacing parts & resembling isnt so much an issue as diagnosing - guess i can relate to what House does! LOL!

too bad bout the SX as i think u'd be very impressed with the sonic qualities of the pioneer. again i caution against haste as u already have all the amps for your needs & it seems this acquistion spree is more a factor of curiosity than any real need. unless jersey's an island in the middle of the pacific, im sure there'll be good deals on the rite gear to be had if u can just wait til it come along. goodluck though.

Quote:

Holy Fishcakes Batman, somethings a tad fishy down under! $800 & counting is just bit wack'd IMO. but then again we are talking 'bout an island in the middle of nowhere next to the antarctica! LOL!! jus kiddin but i do feel for u assies & im guessin europeans don have it much better too. but u guys do have nice white sandy beaches & warm temperatures while we canucks have loadsa not so sandy but very white..... snow. did i mention snow? yaaa we have snow & lots & lots & lots of the fluffy stuff. did i say lots? i mean we covered with 'em up to the eyeballs with snow. so whos got it good i wonder. hmmmmmm??!! heh

Quote:
Unfortunately my work schedule the next few weeks will prevent any sort of formal review soon - but my experience with the 3 vintage receivers I have certainly says that if they are in good condition, and that if their size and weight is not an issue for you, and that if you can get one at a good price, that you get WAAAAAY more for your headphone listening dollar this way than by buying dedicated amps.  The Pioneer 1250 blows away any headphone amp I have ever heard for the $600 I paid for it.

Quote:
Here is how good I think the Pioneer SX1250 is as a headphone amp - I just ordered a second pair of LCD-2's so I can have a pair for the office connected to the Pioneer full-time
biggrin.gif

im totally surprised not very many ppl pick'd up on these 2 statements by our resident amp maestro. knowing how politically polite skylab is, me thinks this is as close as we're gonna get from him admitting how awesome vintage gear can double as "dedicated" headamps before feathers starts ruffling.

that said, let me caution that not all vintage gear sounds good which also means a great sounding amp will not neccessarily play nice with any & all headphones. if we take that in consideration plus the age & possible breakdown issues (it is vintage gear afterall), i do believe theres no better deal to be had. plus it does speakers, do radio, play nice with turntables & theres no arguing captain midnite can be mesmerizing. plus i do love the retro look & feel. O & i do use it occasionally to workout the bi tri pecs delts abs hams quads......heh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back