Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Mar 25, 2011 at 5:45 AM Post #617 of 19,139
A pair of fostex r20v2 just showed up at the office today :), courtesy of leeperry from whom I bought these. Plugged them into the Kenwood and instant synergy happened. Fiddling with the tone controls is now even more important, but, boy, do these sound good! the kenwood has tons of power and you can hear that in the way the fostex reproduces the music (fed by a hifiman 602). Detail is even better than on the k500 (never thought I'd say that) and the bass is incredibly deep, detailed and textured. I was listening to Mozart's Requiem and the bass was literally awe-inspiring. Detail, depth and a soundstage that is both intimate and deeper than I expected. I do have to turn the volume knob up a fair bit more than with the k500.

Am debating whether I should buy a sansui g6000 in excellent (revised) condition...

Mar 25, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #620 of 19,139
I went to look at a collection of pretty receiver today. I listened to a vintage sansui 5000X and Marantz 2270 and Luxman 1040 was acting up and the Pioneer SX980. I also seen two Kenwood 11G monster amps. you need a room by itself way too big for my rack. I ended up buying the SX980 80W receiver in very very nice condition I will post pictures and paid 180.00 for it a score. This is one very detailed piece and drives the hE6 out of the headphone jack very easily. I also noticed the Watt meter work and going up to about 8W at points most of the time at around 1W

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #621 of 19,139

Quote:
I went to look at a collection of pretty receiver today. I listened to a vintage sansui 5000X and Marantz 2270 and Luxman 1040 was acting up and the Pioneer SX980. I also seen two Kenwood 11G monster amps. you need a room by itself way too big for my rack. I ended up buying the SX980 80W receiver in very very nice condition I will post pictures and paid 180.00 for it a score. This is one very detailed piece and drives the hE6 out of the headphone jack very easily. I also noticed the Watt meter work and going up to about 8W at points most of the time at around 1W

Was there a grin on your way home?

Mar 25, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #623 of 19,139
Very, very nice Frank!  Love the look of the SX-xx80 series.  Congrats!

Mar 25, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #626 of 19,139
Spending a bunch of hours today with both the D7000 and the hE6 with the Pioneer SX980. All I can say these were the days were receivers were King and this Pioneer is simply amazing. For anyone wanting to get a headamp in the SS variety for the hE6 or anything else for that matter you will be shocked when you hear what these Pioneer sound and look like. Powerful and robust with great detail and musicality. I need no more power for sure and this is the best I have heard my D7000 on every amp I have owned. The HE6 does so well with the headphone jack but I also have the pigtail but have seen very ltitle reason to use it. This receiver has tight and controlled bass and is a marvel to both listen to and look at. Well worth the search for one of these in the Silver series when the receiver were overbuilt and sounded great. I am in agreement with Rob and his is bigger and more powerful and he was so right with this as was Scottie. I do not believe any headamp will compete with these IMO.

Mar 25, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #627 of 19,139
$$$$$$$. That's all I can say. This tread is make people selling vintaged gear very happy. I better go ahead and get one soon! But on a serious note, congrats Frank, it's good to see you've found happiness given what has happened to you lately.

Mar 25, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #629 of 19,139

Quote:
$$$$$$$. That's all I can say. This tread is make people selling vintaged gear very happy. I better go ahead and get one soon! But on a serious note, congrats Frank, it's good to see you've found happiness given what has happened to you lately.

Thanks. The ebay fiasco still not  over. The seller is total fraud had wrong address on the UPS label wont give the new one and ebay is handling it now For anyone interested I will be selling the restored 2220B Marantz and will list it soon if anybody interested send me a pM..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back