Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Sep 26, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #5,956 of 19,145
This is fun, just starting out with vintage receivers.

This past weekend's Craigslist Score

Kenwood KR9600 (close to mint) circa 1977

Klipsch Heresy HBR circa 1975?  Should receive risers for the Heresy in the next day or so.

Can't exceed much more than 1 on the volume control!

Very enamored with this at the moment.

Man that is clean. Wish my fortes were in that nice a condition.
I just picked up that kenwood 9050 2 days ago and I'm using it with my klipsch.

You aren't joking about barely having to exceed 1.
And they play nicely together.
Congrats on the great score.

On the 8080 I noticed that there is a real wood veneer under the vinyl. So I just stripped the vinyl and refinished the real wood. Very easy.

Which do you prefer? The sansui or the Kenny?
That's probably a tough question. I notice I tend to prefer which ever amp is driving my klipsch.
Congrats again. I'm jealous

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #5,957 of 19,145
Hi guys, may I ask if you need a speaker attached to a maratnz 4400 in order to get it to work? I just had mine fixed... and the technician said that it's not advisable to connect the headphones to the marantz, I need to have a speaker attached to it otherwise the amp will not function well? The receiver/amp is designed to send signals to four speakers (or more), and having no speakers attached to it and only the headphone is (as said by our technician) not advisable...? is that true? Thanks.

Sep 27, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #5,958 of 19,145
i know i run my marantz with the speaker switches turned off all the time, playing headphones only.  not sure how that would be any different since it just opens the circuit .  if the speaker selector switch is set to off, i don't think the amp has any idea that there is a speaker load there or not.

but then again im not a tech

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #5,959 of 19,145
Non-OTL tube amps should never be powered up without a load.

Solid state amps are generally tolerant of running without a load, but I'm not knowledgeable about the Marantz 4400 specifically.

For older amps and receivers, headphones are powered by the same amplifier circuit powering the speakers, so even if the amp is not allowed to run unloaded, a pair of headphones should be acceptable. I've run headphones on non-OTL vintage integrated amps multiple times without consequences; the technician I had inspect them didn't see a problem with me doing this.

Sep 27, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #5,960 of 19,145
Quote:
Gorgeous amp!

Note: I'd avoid recapping the tuner board, since there are many capacitors in there that are next to heat sensitive chips, and it';s very easy to mess up some unobtainium parts. Also, for the 2 large, main filter caps, I'd recommend [size=11.0pt]http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UKW1H103MRD/?qs=kArNe9LFxXlXU%2f0N8Vy%252byg%3d%3d[/size]
[size=11.0pt]They are one of the few capacitors that fit the original capacitor lead spacing and still fit next to each other, without having to get creative (and messy) with the mounting.

Have fun and enjoy! I have a 2245 and an SX-780, and I hope to not need to sell either, because I find they compliment each other very well. With the capacitors replaced on my SX780, I noticed the graininess in the highs disapeared, and although sharper than my Marantz, it was more detailed, and through my HE-400's sounds beautiful.[/size]

I won't be touching the tuning sections of either receiver.  I don't have the knowledge or the equipment to fine tune a FM section.  I will be looking to replace the main filter caps and the caps on the amplifier boards.  Thank you for the link to the Nichicon filter caps.  The SX-780 has more power than its 45 watt rating suggests.  It is able to drive my very power hungry DQ-10's as well as my higher end 200 watt mono amps.  I am going to be looking for some different speakers to pair with either the 2250 or the SX-780.  Maybe something like the JBL L100's, 4311 or the Yamaha NS-1000 if I can catch a deal on them.  My dream speakers the Harbeth Compact 7-ES3's are $4K out my reach at this time. 
smile.gif

Sep 27, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #5,961 of 19,145
Quote:
This is fun, just starting out with vintage receivers.

This past weekend's Craigslist Score

Kenwood KR9600 (close to mint) circa 1977

Klipsch Heresy HBR circa 1975?  Should receive risers for the Heresy in the next day or so.

Can't exceed much more than 1 on the volume control!

Very enamored with this at the moment.

Also picked up a Sansui 8080.  Some work being done including new LEDs and new wood veneer casing.  I'll post photos once done.

That's a real pretty Kenny you got there!  Also I have always loved the Heresy's.  Now that I have the vintage receiver bug I will be looking to add some 100+ watt Realistic, Sansui and Kenwood iron to add to my collection. 

Sep 27, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #5,962 of 19,145
Sombody is selling me a [size=12pt]Sansui AU-719[/size] in mint condition for $430. Is that a fair price? It looks like this one in the picture. it seems a little high to me.

719front.jpg

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Sep 27, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #5,963 of 19,145
I picked up a (similar) Sansui AU-D9 for $20 on Craigslist a few weeks ago. I'm still working on getting a recap done and replacing some components. I can tell you that the unit is absolutely a beast and a very high quality vintage amp. The 719 is indeed high end, but I'm not so sure it's worth that price tag. I'd try to negotiate it down.

Sep 27, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #5,964 of 19,145
I think the price is a bit high too from what I have seen. Plus you have to look inside and out to determine if it is mint or not.

Sep 27, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #5,965 of 19,145
Quote:
Man that is clean. Wish my fortes were in that nice a condition.
I just picked up that kenwood 9050 2 days ago and I'm using it with my klipsch.
You aren't joking about barely having to exceed 1.
And they play nicely together.
Congrats on the great score.
On the 8080 I noticed that there is a real wood veneer under the vinyl. So I just stripped the vinyl and refinished the real wood. Very easy.
Which do you prefer? The sansui or the Kenny?
That's probably a tough question. I notice I tend to prefer which ever amp is driving my klipsch.
Congrats again. I'm jealous

Thanks.  The Heresy's were not in great shape cosmetically when I picked them up.  There were water stains, dried paint patches, surface scratches. etc.  After spending about 30 minutes sanding with xtra-fine sandpaper and then applying Howards Restore A Finish, the speakers are now very presentable.  The raw birch is a very easy veneer to spruce up.  Restore A Finish is a great product but only with open grain woods (Oak, Walnut, etc.). 

Only used the Sansui 8080 for a short time, but found the 8080 warmer and darker than the Kenwood.  The Kenwood is very neutral with a driving bass.  I'll post photos of the 8080 when done.  I'm having a Cherry Veneer applied to the case.

Sep 27, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #5,966 of 19,145
OK, went back to the shop and found a Kenwood KR-6030.  This doesn't complete erase my regret for not holding onto the 70's Pioneer my dad handed down to me in the 80's, but man the Japanese made some good amps back then.

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #5,968 of 19,145
Hey guys, a friend of mine found this at his place, a KENWOOD KR 3130
Pic here: http://instagram.com/p/JYJtGQDijG/

Is anything known about it? Is it worth to get cleaned up? (He'd use it with speakers, not headphones)

Sep 28, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #5,969 of 19,145
Has someone an idea how to connect the 7000 and the Six in this way that the Six is the preamp???

Sep 28, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #5,970 of 19,145
Quote:
Has someone an idea how to connect the 7000 and the Six in this way that the Six is the preamp???

If the Six has preamp outs, just pull the jumpers between the 7000's preamp out and preamp in and plug the Six's preamp out to the 7000's preamp in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back