Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Sep 23, 2012 at 6:18 AM Post #5,941 of 19,143
Vinyl sounds great but it's no good in a portable system. Some people simply can't fit full-sized equipment of any kind into their living situation.

For that matter, I have some excellent headphones really only work well on lower-powered dedicated headphone amps. They sound awful through the same receiver that makes my HE-6 sound its best. 

Everything has its place.

Sep 23, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #5,942 of 19,143
how about this one 
angry_face.gif

Sep 23, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #5,943 of 19,143
Quote:
Vinyl sounds great but it's no good in a portable system. Some people simply can't fit full-sized equipment of any kind into their living situation.

For that matter, I have some excellent headphones really only work well on lower-powered dedicated headphone amps. They sound awful through the same receiver that makes my HE-6 sound its best. 

Everything has its place.

My Pioneer is bad for portable use too. I tried rollerskating around with it on a wheeled cart but the cops stopped me for questioning

Sep 24, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #5,944 of 19,143
Quote:
Vinyl sounds great but it's no good in a portable system.

I don't know why. It shouldn't be any problem to hang a turntable off your belt. You just need to walk very slowly so as not to upset the bias compensation, that's all.

Geez, some people, they just want every convenience.

biggrin.gif

Sep 24, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #5,945 of 19,143
Quote:
So far after trying out several headphone amps in the $100-200 range I still prefer my 1984 Pioneer integrated.

People who already own these sorts of amps but ignore them and go out and buy a $50 fiio just because it says "headphone" on the box really don't know what they're missing.

Hell, I'm building a $300+ M^3 amp, and even then it'll be a contest to see if it can outclass my SX-780. These things are impressive

Sep 25, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #5,946 of 19,143
my latest purchase.  I present the mighty McIntosh C-26 pre-amp, needs cleaning and routine maintenance.  I just need an amp worthy.  suggestions please lads.  cheers always.  roger

Sep 26, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #5,948 of 19,143
Picked up this dainty thing today.

the headphone out sounds pretty darn good.

Sep 26, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #5,951 of 19,143
This Pioneer SX-780 showed up from Ebay earlier this week.  The seller said that the volume control was a little scratchy but I cleared that up with some DeOxit.  It has a more forward sound than the Marantz 2250 and lacks its tube-like sound.  But it is clear with very tight bass and little less detailed highs than the Marantz.  I think this will be my first candidate for a re-capping and that should smooth out the highs.

Sep 26, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #5,952 of 19,143
So I found a Rotel RA-1312 at a local store for around $160 so I tried it out.  Unfortunately, when I got it upstairs (the store is downstairs of my apt.) I found the headphone jack wasn't working correctly: I couldn't get sound to the right ear.  This was unfortunate, because the left ear of my LCD-2 sounded awesome.  I took it back for a refund, but I can't stop thinking about that left ear.  I'm thinking about it now, as I listen to the same headphones through my Headroom Micro stack.

I wonder what it would cost to have that repaired?

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #5,953 of 19,143
Gorgeous amp!

Note: I'd avoid recapping the tuner board, since there are many capacitors in there that are next to heat sensitive chips, and it';s very easy to mess up some unobtainium parts. Also, for the 2 large, main filter caps, I'd recommend [size=11.0pt]http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UKW1H103MRD/?qs=kArNe9LFxXlXU%2f0N8Vy%252byg%3d%3d[/size]
[size=11.0pt]They are one of the few capacitors that fit the original capacitor lead spacing and still fit next to each other, without having to get creative (and messy) with the mounting.

Have fun and enjoy! I have a 2245 and an SX-780, and I hope to not need to sell either, because I find they compliment each other very well. With the capacitors replaced on my SX780, I noticed the graininess in the highs disapeared, and although sharper than my Marantz, it was more detailed, and through my HE-400's sounds beautiful.[/size]

Quote:
This Pioneer SX-780 showed up from Ebay earlier this week.  The seller said that the volume control was a little scratchy but I cleared that up with some DeOxit.  It has a more forward sound than the Marantz 2250 and lacks its tube-like sound.  But it is clear with very tight bass and little less detailed highs than the Marantz.  I think this will be my first candidate for a re-capping and that should smooth out the highs.

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #5,954 of 19,143
This is fun, just starting out with vintage receivers.

This past weekend's Craigslist Score

Kenwood KR9600 (close to mint) circa 1977

Klipsch Heresy HBR circa 1975?  Should receive risers for the Heresy in the next day or so.

Can't exceed much more than 1 on the volume control!

Very enamored with this at the moment.

Also picked up a Sansui 8080.  Some work being done including new LEDs and new wood veneer casing.  I'll post photos once done.

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #5,955 of 19,143
Wow, that's a pretty sweet rig right there, Klipsch + Kenwood! Nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back