Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Feb 12, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #4,126 of 19,142
The subwoofer is part of my home theater and it not in this 2-channel system.

Am not sure how to answer either of your questions.  

Feb 12, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #4,127 of 19,142

Quote:
Everytime I see a subwoofer,a scene conjures up from a recent comedy sketch.
A man was arrested for having 5 wives,the comic recanted: "I suppose he wanted to be nagged in surround sound and hear all the complaints travel around his head"
The largest size wife stood near his feet,she was the woofer,all she did was go Bwap Bwap Bwap Blah Blah Blah.
Stand up comics come up with some peculiar outlooks.

biggrin.gif

Feb 12, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #4,129 of 19,142

Quote:
Putting it another way,did you buy the amplifier for the tubes/schematics or the original case/looks?
Using the Marantz as a preamplifier,what volume setting would you normally dial when listening to the PD-10's?

I bought the PD-10s from the seller first......and bought the amp as an after-thought because it is unique.  The seller built it by hand in this old Hewlett-Packard oscillator case.  One day I'd like to turn it into an integrated amp if I can figure out how to make the large round dial on front turn a volume pot.

The preamp volume knob was on about 10-11 o'clock I think this morning when I had it turned up to a nice listening level.  However, that is really a meaningless setting in the overall scheme of things.

Here are a couple of pictures of what it looked like inside as the builder was constructing it.

Feb 12, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #4,130 of 19,142
whats the best way to fashion a homemade FM antennae for a receiver?

Feb 12, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #4,131 of 19,142
Just go buy a folded dipole.  They can be had for just a few dollars.

Feb 12, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #4,132 of 19,142
thanks skylab.  does it matter if i fix it to the 300 or 75 ohm post?

hate to keep asking stupid questions
but is there any reason i shouldn't bi-wire my mission speakers?
i just ran 2 wires out of each + and - for Right and Left channels.
i don't even know if thats how you're supposed to do it.

sounds ok  as long as my pioneer doesn't start smoking tonight

Feb 12, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #4,135 of 19,142

Quote:
thanks skylab.  does it matter if i fix it to the 300 or 75 ohm post?

hate to keep asking stupid questions
but is there any reason i shouldn't bi-wire my mission speakers?
i just ran 2 wires out of each + and - for Right and Left channels.
i don't even know if thats how you're supposed to do it.

sounds ok  as long as my pioneer doesn't start smoking tonight

How is your pioneer hooked up to the speakers using biwiring?  You are not by chance doing this by using both the A and B speaker outputs are you?  If yes, stop now and go back to single wires because you may be bypassing the cross-over in the speakers and sending a full range signal to your tweeters, which will fry them.

Feb 12, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #4,136 of 19,142
im only using speaker A
Right speaker
high + and low +  <-------------------------   pioneer Right +
high- and low- <------------------------------pioneer Right -

Left speaker
H+ and L +  <--------------------------------- pioneer Left+
H- and L- <------------------------------------ pioneer Left-

Feb 12, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #4,137 of 19,142

Quote:
How is your pioneer hooked up to the speakers using biwiring?  You are not by chance doing this by using both the A and B speaker outputs are you?  If yes, stop now and go back to single wires because you may be bypassing the cross-over in the speakers and sending a full range signal to your tweeters, which will fry them.

Scott I am not sure what you are saying.  If the speaker is designed for bi-wiring, using the A for one and the B for the other is no different than bi wiring just from A in terms of the crossover. If the speaker is designed for biwiring, there is no danger to the tweeter with this hookup.

HOWEVER, it still may not be a good idea, if you are using the A and B separately for each section, the amp/receiver might be seeing a lower total impedance, as this really isn't a biwire it is more of a bi-amp.  That really depends on how the speaker crossover is set up when biwiring or biamping. 

Feb 12, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #4,138 of 19,142
The speaker wire worked pretty good for the antenna.  not cd quality but will work for my morning routine of NPR while showering and eating breakfast.

do i understand the bi wiring correctly that its basically 2 negatives in each negative post on speaker A and then 2 positives in each positve of speaker A?

Feb 12, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #4,139 of 19,142
You are wired up just fine.  The benefits of bi-wiring are suspect.  Are the two sets of posts on the speaker still tied together with a metal strap or connected via short interconnects?  If you had specified the model of your Mission speakers, I'd have looked this up.

I personally don't have any experience with speakers that can be bi-wired.  I do have many speakers that can be bi-amped though, by-passing the internal cross-over.  Bi-amps in a whole nother thing and requires an external active crossover or a receiver that had adjustable crossovers internally.

Feb 12, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #4,140 of 19,142
A piece of speaker wire will do in a pinch.

that's what i use. just plain bare wire for listening to the radio, but i always wondered what it'll be like to jack my neighbors huge antennae on his house that's just sitting there and not being used. i guess i be getting some killer signal with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back