Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jan 29, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #3,991 of 19,143

Quote:
The SX-1010 is on the work bench with her feet in the air as we speak.  New caps are here, power supply board first, that is where I found bulging caps.  Am just waiting to get inspired to ruin some desolder wick.

PS board has been recapped and she still works.  Waiting for the main filter caps to discharge now so I can replace them.

Jan 29, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #3,992 of 19,143
Looks good Scott! You inspired me to take mine apart and deoxit the push buttons on my SX-1010 which were giving me problems.  I snapped a few pics while I was in there (recall mine was restored/recapped by "MarkTheFixer":

Jan 29, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #3,994 of 19,143
Yeah, having to remove the whole faceplate is a total bummer.

Jan 29, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #3,995 of 19,143
Yeah those buttons are a little hard to get to, I had to remove a lot more to get to the knobs/switches on my marantz. I had to completely remove the tone board to get to them well. After doing some research, I found there was no way around it.

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #3,996 of 19,143
Skylab wrote:
"just in the headphone jack and not via speakers ? In this case the issue is the jack itself, since the headphones are driven directly off the main power amp."

Honestly haven't checked the speaker output so I definitely hope you are right....
eek.gif
.  Dang thing is so heavy, its a hassle getting it set up for testing with speakers since I haven't been using it as a speaker amplifier (yet).  But prudence and good sense demand I determine if it is more simply the headphone jack.   If it is the female headphone jack connector in the amp itself, is it difficult to repair?  I plan to give it a Deoxit treatment and then go from there, assuming the speaker outputs work.

Thanks.

Jan 30, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #3,997 of 19,143

Quote:
Do you use LD as tube preamp?

Sorry it took me so long, yes I run it as a true pre-amp (run it into the Marantz's main in - bypassing the preamp board).  Works great, and everything is controlled via the volume knob on the LD Mk III (running the Marantz as a power amp disables all tone and volume controls - pretty cool).

Jan 30, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #3,998 of 19,143
I took my Realistic STA-2200 to the DC meet last weekend and it was a big hit.  HiFi Man had their whole line up there and I wanted to hear the HE-6 on it.  I didn't get a chance to try it until late in the meet, but once I did, it became one of the hits of the meet.  A couple of people took pictures of the STA-2200 just so they could remember what it was to look for one. 

It was the first time I've seen the led vu meters working on it.  Normally, I'll occasionally see the first LED flicker.  I had about half of the bar lit up.  Others who were listening louder had it near clipping, but they were listening loud enough for me to know what music they were listening to from about 5 feet away. 

Jan 30, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #3,999 of 19,143

Quote:
I took my Realistic STA-2200 to the DC meet last weekend and it was a big hit.  HiFi Man had their whole line up there and I wanted to hear the HE-6 on it.  I didn't get a chance to try it until late in the meet, but once I did, it became one of the hits of the meet.  A couple of people took pictures of the STA-2200 just so they could remember what it was to look for one. 

It was the first time I've seen the led vu meters working on it.  Normally, I'll occasionally see the first LED flicker.  I had about half of the bar lit up.  Others who were listening louder had it near clipping, but they were listening loud enough for me to know what music they were listening to from about 5 feet away. 

NICE!!!  Love to hear stories like that.

Jan 30, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #4,000 of 19,143
i grew up on a realistic 65C *i think*  could have the number wrong but thats what it looked like.  my dad got it in 72 i believe when he graduated from high school.  could be off by a year of so though.
its buried in my parents attic. 
next time im there im retrieving it for a bit of nostalgia.

i remember it started to get scratchy as i got older and i always wanted a big dial instead of the dual volume sliders..  i finally put it up for a pioneer from the late 80s or early 90s.  a plastic peice of junk most likely.

if only i knew then what i know now about that stuff.

i found this image on the web and im 99% sure this is it.

i just finding this pic brings back awesome memories of listening to beatles records with my mom during the summer.  she was a teacher so we would jam to the beatles while dad was at work.

btw
i bought a SX950 yesterday.
CANT WAIT FOR IT TO GET HERE!!!!

Jan 31, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #4,002 of 19,143

Quote:

I think the 1010 is a ver good sounding receiver, taken on its own, but I think both the 1250 and 1980 are better sounding.  Perhaps it is that they sound clearer to me.  The 1010 is warmer, but I find it a bit colored.  keep in mind that my 1980 and 1010 were both completely restored/recapped by different people, and so my opinion may not have much bearing for others.

You really like neutral sound! How do you compare SX-1010 to your Marantz (2285?)?  I know you like your Marantz also. What's difference between these two warm sound receivers to you?

Quote:

Wow, is the environment so bad that they have to crank the volume to this level?

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #4,003 of 19,143
No, some people just listen much too loud.   I had no problem at any time in the meet listening to open headphones.   I was set up 2 tables away from the HiFi Man setup, about 10 feet away.  At one point, I heard someone listening to one of the headphones out of the EF-6.  It was loud enough that it sounded like speakers.

Jan 31, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #4,005 of 19,143
Are there any sound quality difference for a can in different volume levels? (Some Akers claim that some speakers sound good at low level, but I think speakers are more space depending.)

With closed headphones there are, but from my experience its not that noticeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back