Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jan 27, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #3,961 of 19,143
Hey guys. Been enjoying reading this thread, especially the beautiful pictures! I've been wanting to get something new that could drive both speakers and headphones with a budget of ~$350. Was wondering if anyone had any idea if I could get more bang for my buck SQ wise with some vintage gear over current production stuff? Earlier I was looking at things like the MP-301 MK2, Maverick A1, and Qinpu A3. Could I do better with a nice SX-850 or the like? Thanks.

It has been my experience of late that there exists very few current production gear in the price range you are thinking of that has comparable bang for the buck SQ as vintage gear....and can drive a number of the best headphones (planar magnetics like the LCDs and HE-XXXs) out there without taking away from the potentials of those cans.  If you want new: the Schiit Lyr...if you want old: go back to page 1 of this thread, resume re-reading, and get your wants aligned with your wallet.  There are far more choices in vintage gear in your price range and performance-wise will leave you very happy.

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #3,962 of 19,143

Quote:
It has been my experience of late that there exists very few current production gear in the price range you are thinking of that has comparable bang for the buck SQ as vintage gear....and can drive a number of the best headphones (planar magnetics like the LCDs and HE-XXXs) out there without taking away from the potentials of those cans.  If you want new: the Schiit Lyr...if you want old: go back to page 1 of this thread, resume re-reading, and get your wants aligned with your wallet.  There are far more choices in vintage gear in your price range and performance-wise will leave you very happy.

Thanks. That was kind of the impression I've been getting, but it's much more encouraging to get clear answers to specific questions. I'm continuing my research and keeping my eyes peeled.

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #3,964 of 19,143
I picked up a Luxman R-113 for $40 on ebay last week.  Part of my lost past life now restored.  Only the Allison Six remains.  Crisp yet smooth sounds emanated from my Grado SR-60 (non-modified.)  McCartney's first album followed by Beethoven's Choral Fantasy ... I am in heaven.  Perhaps I'll replace the Polk R20's (on temporary assignment to the Luxman,) with a pair of Monitor-Audio Bronze bookshelf "B" series that remain in a box to perhaps be returned to a local vintage audiophile store.  Would love some input here.  The Luxman is in our small 9x10 den (not carpeted.)  Walls are wood paneled.

Another option is to move the Luxman into our large living area and have it relieve our Denon AVR-2312 (with 132 page manual!!) of its analog duties.  But then what do I do with our living room speakers.

Help!!

Jan 27, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #3,965 of 19,143
I've had pretty bad luck with vintage gear so far. :frowning2: The reciever my parents gave me is dead and the Sherwood I got from ebay has static and humming issues. Its in perfect condition visually and the seller did basic restoration work on it(deoxit, cleaning, and bulb replacement mainly). It got left outside for hours in a snow storm(though heavily packed in a box) because USPS arrived late at night, dumped it in the yard, and didn't ring the bell so that's probably what got it.

Jan 27, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #3,966 of 19,143
Nearly every vintage amp/receiver I've ever owned ended up needing some kind of work.  So, don't feel too bad.

Jan 27, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #3,967 of 19,143

Quote:
Nearly every vintage amp/receiver I've ever owned ended up needing some kind of work.  So, don't feel too bad.

x2!

Have you got your SX-1010 restored? Mine had the power supply board repaired. I heard it's the common problem for SX-1010.

Now I'm mostly using my 80's stuff since my Sx-1250 resistors went to south the other day.  It makes me believe that frequently turning on and off really hurt the old machine. But my SAE mark IVC and IXB combo go strong with my speakers for every day listening!! 

Bottom line, you will never know when the vintage stuff go bad, just enjoy it!!

Jan 27, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #3,968 of 19,143
The SX-1010 is on the work bench with her feet in the air as we speak.  New caps are here, power supply board first, that is where I found bulging caps.  Am just waiting to get inspired to ruin some desolder wick.

Jan 27, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #3,969 of 19,143

Quote:
The SX-1010 is on the work bench with her feet in the air as we speak.

LOL!
biggrin.gif
  I just imaged a turtle with same posture!

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #3,970 of 19,143
I'm going to need to take my SX-1010 apart.  Those push button switches are the real weakness of that design, and I have to push them in and out several times every time I use it to prevent channel cut-out. I really need to take the faceplate off to get in there with deoxit.  But it is such a chore...

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #3,971 of 19,143

Quote:
I'm going to need to take my SX-1010 apart.  Those push button switches are the real weakness of that design, and I have to push them in and out several times every time I use it to prevent channel cut-out. I really need to take the faceplate off to get in there with deoxit.  But it is such a chore...

I forget you have a SX-1010. Do you like it?How does it compare to your favorite SX-1980 and SX-1250? Sorry for so many questions!
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #3,972 of 19,143
Meewoo,
Why would frequent turning on and off an amp cause resistor failure. My left chanel on the headphone out on the SX 1250 gave up a ghost...
And I do turn it on and off at least once a day, never leting it idle.

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #3,973 of 19,143

Quote:
Meewoo,
Why would frequent turning on and off an amp cause resistor failure. My left chanel on the headphone out on the SX 1250 gave up a ghost...

I am not a technician. I overheard that the impulse of current make the electronics components change status quick, which make them vulnerable. I once saw a thread on AK which discussing whether leave power-amp always on or not, everyone seems agree avoiding on/off frequently. Oh, my SX-1250 generates hum on left channel after I heard a pop. Based on the suggestion on AK, it might be resister failure. But I think SX-1250 really deserve a totally restore. Hope you can make your done cheaply!! I will keep mine until someday I can do it myself. Cheers for vintage stuff! You can really learn many things about audio and avoid shameless marketing point wisely.

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #3,974 of 19,143
"You can really learn many things about audio and avoid shameless marketing point wisely."

Hear! Hear!  Truer words rarely spoken...

Thanks for the insight.  I will check back in with a 1250 repair report, though I am in no particular hurry since I still want the Scott 222-B tube amp brought to life and adjusted for the use of speaker taps....still haven't contacted that man who used to work in the factory back in the 60s and lives just 15 miles from me....heard he still does Scott amp repairs.  The Marantz 2275 is carrying the vintage flag high in my headphone camp.  That and the EF5.

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #3,975 of 19,143

Quote:
I forget you have a SX-1010. Do you like it?How does it compare to your favorite SX-1980 and SX-1250? Sorry for so many questions!
biggrin.gif

I think the 1010 is a ver good sounding receiver, taken on its own, but I think both the 1250 and 1980 are better sounding.  Perhaps it is that they sound clearer to me.  The 1010 is warmer, but I find it a bit colored.  keep in mind that my 1980 and 1010 were both completely restored/recapped by different people, and so my opinion may not have much bearing for others.

Quote:
Meewoo,

just in the headphone jack and not via speakers ? In this case the issue is the jack itself, since the headphones are driven directly off the main power amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back