Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jan 25, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #3,946 of 19,131
is 300-350$ too much for a bigger pioneer?
like a 950/980?

buying this beat up mule of a vintage pioneer just opened up a whole new bag of worms

Jan 25, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #3,947 of 19,131

Quote:

I just noticed this gem watching Sons of Anarchy. Anyone want to identify what's in this setup? Looks like a Marantz 2250 on the bottom.

Nice find. It looks like a 2235.

Jan 25, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #3,948 of 19,131

Quote:
is 300-350$ too much for a bigger pioneer?
like a 950/980?

buying this beat up mule of a vintage pioneer just opened up a whole new bag of worms

$300 for a 980 in very good condition would be a good price.  I'm not as sure about the 950 but probably the same.

When you think about what you get from a 980 versus what $300 can buy you elsewhere in audio, the 980 looks like the bargain of the century, as long as you don't have to spend another $300 right away to get it to work right, although even then, finding something as good either as a receiver or just as a headphone amp for $600 would be tough...

Jan 25, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #3,949 of 19,131
Not nearly as cool a show, but my kids like the show iCarly, and much to my surprise, in Carly and Spencer's apartment, there is an SX-1250!!!! I was floored.  That set designer knew his or her stuff, since they show takes place in modern times and is all about "hip".

Jan 25, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #3,950 of 19,131
There were two very nice SX950 one sold 350.00 and the other for 290.00 on ebay both had return policies and looked very clean. i passed as I only use my SX650 for my D7000 and HE500 occasionally but if I were to choose again the SX950 would be the one because its discrete and the from what Rob told me once the 980 was not. i als0 thing the SX650 I have is very food for what I paid and I have had no issue with it for the 35.00 bucks I paid i will run this one to the ground before getting another one but the SX950 is what i would like next. I had paid 180.00 for my SX980 but has an issue with the head amp so i was using the speaker terminals for the HE6.

Jan 25, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #3,951 of 19,131
Frank i tink i was watching both of those as well!
the ones that ended last night?
i only passed because it would have left me broke for the next week.
i wonder who got them?
im def after a 850 or 950 though in the near future.
just gonna try to be patient and find the right one at the right price

Jan 25, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #3,953 of 19,131
Quote:
Not nearly as cool a show, but my kids like the show iCarly, and much to my surprise, in Carly and Spencer's apartment, there is an SX-1250!!!! I was floored.  That set designer knew his or her stuff, since they show takes place in modern times and is all about "hip".

What!? Im going to have to re-watch it and find it. That's pretty cool!

Quote:

I just noticed this gem watching Sons of Anarchy. Anyone want to identify what's in this setup? Looks like a Marantz 2250 on the bottom.

Digging the wood case!

Jan 25, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #3,954 of 19,131
got my missions today!
whats interesting is in my opinion the pioneer sounds best with headphones, but the speakers sound best out of the yamie.

which is just what i needed.  an actual reason to keep both... in a room that doesn't have room for both...

Jan 25, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #3,956 of 19,131

Quote:
got my missions today!
whats interesting is in my opinion the pioneer sounds best with headphones, but the speakers sound best out of the yamie.

Synergy is THE key!!

I know that recent Rotel is toned for B&W speakers. You may want to try your Yammy CR with NS speakers.  I have Yammy NS-4 speakers, but I like my NAD 3140 pairing them more than my Yammy amp. Yammy together sounds a little bright to me. Oh, everyone says vintage Marantz amps are very forgiving with speakers. ( I think Marantz is forgiving for everything, bad recording etc. But I hate marantz with Sennheiser  Hd-580.)

Jan 25, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #3,957 of 19,131
i can remember when i first dove into audio stuff around here and reading the word Synergy and thinking it was just nonsense.  then i hear the DT 990/600 out of an OTL tube amp!
im currently shopping either a pioneer sx 850/950 or if i can't find one at a decent price a marantz 2220/2215/2245/ect
i have a local guy with a MINT 2245 that hes been trying to sell for months.  hes asking 300.  might bite the bullet and offer 250 if i can't score a pioneer for that price.
then i'd at least have a sample of each of the big three 70s sounds that im after.
decide which i like best and go from there.

question about bi wiring.

my missions are supposed to sound best when bi wired.  but they don't require it.

how do you bi wire exactly?  can i use speaker out A and B from the same reciever?  and then select both A + B on the receiver to play them bi wired?

also, is it a bad idea to hook up the speakers to 2 different receivers?  and then just not play them both at the same time obviously?  that way i can switch back and forth without messing with wires? or is this a bad idea?

Jan 26, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #3,958 of 19,131
Hey guys. Been enjoying reading this thread, especially the beautiful pictures! I've been wanting to get something new that could drive both speakers and headphones with a budget of ~$350. Was wondering if anyone had any idea if I could get more bang for my buck SQ wise with some vintage gear over current production stuff? Earlier I was looking at things like the MP-301 MK2, Maverick A1, and Qinpu A3. Could I do better with a nice SX-850 or the like? Thanks.

Jan 26, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #3,959 of 19,131

Quote:

my missions are supposed to sound best when bi wired.  but they don't require it.

how do you bi wire exactly?  can i use speaker out A and B from the same reciever?  and then select both A + B on the receiver to play them bi wired?

http://www.brilliancehifi.co.uk/how-to-bi-wire-speakers.htm

Jan 26, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #3,960 of 19,131
Quote:

The A and B speaker outputs on your receiver are both powered by the same amp; When you're only using A there isn't a second amp sitting idle waiting for something to connect to the B output.

If biwiring also bypasses the speaker's built-in crossover, this might not be as pointless as it looks. In this case, a single amp stage would continue to power the whole speaker (A output to the highs, B output to the lows, maybe), but you would have the opportunity to add an active crossover to the circuit to dial-in the sound. That's about the only advantage, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back