Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Apr 16, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #19,096 of 19,136
IMG_7766.jpeg

I am restoring a Thorens 318 turntable and this weekend ran it through my Sansui 9090DB. I like to run vintage with vintage.🤪🤪

Apr 16, 2024 at 7:47 PM Post #19,097 of 19,136
IMG_7766.jpeg

I am restoring a Thorens 318 turntable and this weekend ran it through my Sansui 9090DB. I like to run vintage with vintage.🤪🤪
.... but am not vintage listening to vintage !! 🤣🤣

Apr 16, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #19,098 of 19,136
Hello everyone,

Came here not in search for an answer but rather to express my astonishment and to share my experience for anyone still asking 'how good does it sounds?'

I never wrote any review / impression in my entire life, but I'm really shocked!

I've been an enthusiastic listener and had the chance to own and hear some quality equipment like Violectric, Meridian Prime, Atoll, Lehmann, Heed, Grace design and others.

My main current dedicated headphone amp is a Benchmark Dac1 that I love.

During the day I like listening to the radio and I've bought a vintage Nad 7240pe because I very much loved the sound of the tuner.

Never ever I thought to try out the headphone output, but one day there was some disturbance in the... area, some construction noise pushed me to find a quick solution so I grabbed my senns 650 and stick them in the socket. Nice, good sound! Wait, I'm only listening to some dudes talking about the news... But the richness!

Of course I hooked up right away my meridian dac to the NAD and started shuffling my music library...

I was under the impression that someone is joking me and change the output, I'm listening and keep staring at the headphone socket and can't believe the sound comes out of this old piece... Completely flabbergasted!

I mean the details, the soundstage, oh my! But mostly, the voices... So organic, I'm really shocked!

Done some A/B between the Benchmark with my beloved Focals, Beyers, Senns and the Nad and I'm probably trying to justify the price of the Benchmark, I would say it sounded a bit more 'airy', 'clearer' to use a few clichés, but I mean just a tiny bit, splitting hair...

So, how it sounds? Fa-bu-lous! Never used so many superlatives in a couple of sentences, but I'm just blown away, I'm lost for words, a few weeks after and still can't believe that such an old piece of kit can deliver at this level, I mean I'm comparing it to one of the greatest and the difference is hardly noticeable. I'm simply mesmerised by the quality of the headphone output of the NAD, such a natural sound, effortlessly presented with great clarity and huge amount of details, and with all genres.

Astonished ! I really can't speak for other vintage equipment, Sansui, Marantz, Kenwood, Luxman and so on, but if you have the chance, grab a NAD 7240pe for pennies and enjoy the marvellous sound!
In the real world in which we all live it is often fact that as concerns build quality, looks and sound reproduction, vintage equipment is at once both beautifully simple and simply beautiful. Welcome and well done and succinctly expressed, sir!

Apr 16, 2024 at 7:50 PM Post #19,099 of 19,136

The good old days when I could actually lift a receiver that heavy. lol In the midst of restoring an old
SYSTEMDEK IIX. I still have a NOS Jelco 370 oil damped tonearm that I will also get around to installing
on it one of these days. Enjoy your project! 👍

Apr 16, 2024 at 7:59 PM Post #19,101 of 19,136
The good old days when I could actually lift a receiver that heavy. lol In the midst of restoring an old
SYSTEMDEK IIX. I still have a NOS Jelco 370 oil damped tonearm that I will also get around to installing
on it one of these days. Enjoy your project! 👍
I also have a vintage Rek-O-Cut turntable I will restore one day. Stereo maybe early 60’s.

Apr 16, 2024 at 8:43 PM Post #19,102 of 19,136
I also have a vintage Rek-O-Cut turntable I will restore one day. Stereo maybe early 60’s.

My late Dad had a Rek-O-Cut turntable for over 30 years. It had this massive tone arm
and the base of the turntable was installed into a precut wooden shelf in his den. Back in
the 1960's Dad also had a Fairchild 412 turntable with the histerisis motor. It was a beautiful looking
turntable with a solid wood plinth. He also built a Dynakit Stereo 70 and Pas 2 preamplifier
which I still have, and ran the electronics into an AR 1 speaker used as a subwoofer, along
with a Janzen electrostatic tweeter. It was cutting edge back in the day.

Apr 16, 2024 at 8:56 PM Post #19,103 of 19,136
My late Dad had a Rek-O-Cut turntable for over 30 years. It had this massive tone arm
and the base of the turntable was installed into a precut wooden shelf in his den. Back in
the 1960's Dad also had a Fairchild 412 turntable with the histerisis motor. It was a beautiful looking
turntable with a solid wood plinth. He also built a Dynakit Stereo 70 and Pas 2 preamplifier
which I still have, and ran the electronics into an AR 1 speaker used as a subwoofer, along
I have worked with my share of Dynaco and upgraded a few pieces. I owned some AR and did some speaker design as well. IMG_6247.jpeg
And amplifier design since I enjoy woodworking.

Apr 16, 2024 at 9:11 PM Post #19,104 of 19,136
I never wrote any review / impression in my entire life, but I'm really shocked!

I feel you, the same thing happened to me when i got a Pioneer Sa-8500 and plugged my headphones; i couldn't believe it, much much better than some new dedicated headphoneamps i've tried.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 10:37 PM Post #19,105 of 19,136
Almost the same as my Dad: massive Garrard table with self-made plinth; large S-shaped tonearm; big black Ortofon pick-up; Ortofon transformer; Marantz Consolette preamp; Dyna Mk-III amplifier: AR-1 woofer/ Janzen ES array tweeter. System was mono. Substitute loudspeaker: Altec-Lansing Voice of the Theatre. 🥲

Apr 16, 2024 at 11:02 PM Post #19,106 of 19,136
Almost the same as my Dad: massive Garrard table with self-made plinth; large S-shaped tonearm; big black Ortofon pick-up; Ortofon transformer; Marantz Consolette preamp; Dyna Mk-III amplifier: AR-1 woofer/ Janzen ES array tweeter. System was mono. Substitute loudspeaker: Altec-Lansing Voice of the Theatre. 🥲
In my college days there were something called Altec-Lansing ring radiators that made wonderful tweeters. They were also used to control traffic lights, or so I was told.🤪

Apr 17, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #19,109 of 19,136
In another thread the gear used in the Bosch tv series was brought up. Friends and I recreated that exact setup so we could hear it live.

McIntosh MX110 tuner/pre-amplifier, McIntosh MC240 power amplifier, Marantz 6300 turntable, and Ohm Walsh 4 speakers

We also played music from the series including Patricia by Art Pepper.😁

At one point I tried to match the cabinetry of a pair of Ohm speakers for a gentleman on here. They function in a similar manner.IMG_5494.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #19,110 of 19,136
Here is my $20 FB Sansui 771 I got last year. I reflowed the solder on the bulb section because it was intermittently going out. I also changed out the bulbs with warms LEDs, nothing gaudy. I did see how the incandescent bulbs were hot and had made marks on the inside plastic. I have this paired with my Yamaha S4115h speakers.
52974031322_c5881f9dec_k.jpg
52986009622_751af4cf48_k_1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back