Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jan 23, 2024 at 8:46 PM Post #19,081 of 19,136
IMG_5511.jpeg

20$ for a Sansui Classique 550. Basically a 6060 with a silver face. Volume pot was trashed, you could turn it around continuously and parts obviously grinding inside. 4$ pot to verify that was the only problem.
IMG_5510.jpeg

Bias dialed in easily, excited to see how this compares to the 7070 after a recap.
Being slightly lower powered than the 7070, it has more usable volume range with headphones. This unit is pretty beat up cosmetically but for the price will make a great shop/treehouse amp:)

Jan 25, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #19,083 of 19,136
It's been at least 5 years since I've rolled this beast into my chain. Other than a slight channel imbalance it sounds pretty damn good.
Schiit x Nitsch Piety on top for size reference. You can land fighter jets on this thing.
20240125_160206.jpg
20240125_160239.jpg

Jan 25, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #19,085 of 19,136
Jan 25, 2024 at 8:03 PM Post #19,088 of 19,136
Jan 31, 2024 at 10:38 PM Post #19,089 of 19,136
It's been at least 5 years since I've rolled this beast into my chain. Other than a slight channel imbalance it sounds pretty damn good.
Schiit x Nitsch Piety on top for size reference. You can land fighter jets on this thing.
20240125_160206.jpg20240125_160239.jpg
W😮W ! 👍

Feb 1, 2024 at 9:36 PM Post #19,090 of 19,136
Hi guys. I am really confused about using my nad receiver as a pre-amp to my schitt magni. I am using a Nad 7420 Power envelope receiver. It has a pre outs, as well as tape in and out rca inputs. The only way I can get it to work. Is using the Magni as a preamp to the nad. But I want to do it in reverse. Where I can plug in my headphones into the magni. And use the nad as a preamp. But I am getting no sound. I tried my dac rca cables going to the main-in. And the pre out going to the magni in. I tried the tape in and out. And no sound that way either. Now if I have the dac rca cables going to the magni in. And the Magni out going to the nad in it works. Am I totally going about this the wrong way? I am following the wiring like I would, if I used a graphic equalizer. The Nad sounds so much better with the Magni feeding it the signal coming from my dac. Using Hifiman Edition Xs headphones. Dac is Schitt bifrost multibit.

nad-1.gif
schiit-magni-3-plus-rear.jpg

Feb 2, 2024 at 1:50 AM Post #19,091 of 19,136
Pre out means output after pot in your receiver, main in means input right after the pot bypassing it and going straight into power amp. What you want to do is impossible.
If you have plugged in to main in then there is no way anything before it has any signal.
That being said you could use you tape outputs to make it work as preamp for magni, for tape out to work it has to be turned on on the control knob, it might also be dead, but in general tape out is the output right after pot, going through some resistors for safety.

Feb 2, 2024 at 3:16 AM Post #19,092 of 19,136
Hi,
The common implementation for tape out is it will bypass all tone and volume control. It is for feeding tape recorders, the signal is line level.
Tape out cannot be used as a pre amp.

If your NAD 7420 can only be used if the Main In is fed by the Magni then your NAD's amplifier preamp section might be faulty.

Feb 2, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #19,093 of 19,136
Hi,
The common implementation for tape out is it will bypass all tone and volume control. It is for feeding tape recorders, the signal is line level.
Tape out cannot be used as a pre amp.

If your NAD 7420 can only be used if the Main In is fed by the Magni then your NAD's amplifier preamp section might be faulty.
Penmarker I think you are right. I borrowed my moms vintage yamaha receiver with preouts. And it works through her unit. I guess my Nad's preamp is dead. It still sounds exceptionally good though. I can't believe after all this time. That using a modern headphone amp as a preamp to an vintage old school receiver could sound so good.

Apr 16, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #19,094 of 19,136
Hello everyone,

Came here not in search for an answer but rather to express my astonishment and to share my experience for anyone still asking 'how good does it sounds?'

I never wrote any review / impression in my entire life, but I'm really shocked!

I've been an enthusiastic listener and had the chance to own and hear some quality equipment like Violectric, Meridian Prime, Atoll, Lehmann, Heed, Grace design and others.

My main current dedicated headphone amp is a Benchmark Dac1 that I love.

During the day I like listening to the radio and I've bought a vintage Nad 7240pe because I very much loved the sound of the tuner.

Never ever I thought to try out the headphone output, but one day there was some disturbance in the... area, some construction noise pushed me to find a quick solution so I grabbed my senns 650 and stick them in the socket. Nice, good sound! Wait, I'm only listening to some dudes talking about the news... But the richness!

Of course I hooked up right away my meridian dac to the NAD and started shuffling my music library...

I was under the impression that someone is joking me and change the output, I'm listening and keep staring at the headphone socket and can't believe the sound comes out of this old piece... Completely flabbergasted!

I mean the details, the soundstage, oh my! But mostly, the voices... So organic, I'm really shocked!

Done some A/B between the Benchmark with my beloved Focals, Beyers, Senns and the Nad and I'm probably trying to justify the price of the Benchmark, I would say it sounded a bit more 'airy', 'clearer' to use a few clichés, but I mean just a tiny bit, splitting hair...

So, how it sounds? Fa-bu-lous! Never used so many superlatives in a couple of sentences, but I'm just blown away, I'm lost for words, a few weeks after and still can't believe that such an old piece of kit can deliver at this level, I mean I'm comparing it to one of the greatest and the difference is hardly noticeable. I'm simply mesmerised by the quality of the headphone output of the NAD, such a natural sound, effortlessly presented with great clarity and huge amount of details, and with all genres.

Astonished ! I really can't speak for other vintage equipment, Sansui, Marantz, Kenwood, Luxman and so on, but if you have the chance, grab a NAD 7240pe for pennies and enjoy the marvellous sound!

Apr 16, 2024 at 7:35 PM Post #19,095 of 19,136
Hello everyone,

Came here not in search for an answer but rather to express my astonishment and to share my experience for anyone still asking 'how good does it sounds?'

I never wrote any review / impression in my entire life, but I'm really shocked!

I've been an enthusiastic listener and had the chance to own and hear some quality equipment like Violectric, Meridian Prime, Atoll, Lehmann, Heed, Grace design and others.

My main current dedicated headphone amp is a Benchmark Dac1 that I love.

During the day I like listening to the radio and I've bought a vintage Nad 7240pe because I very much loved the sound of the tuner.

Never ever I thought to try out the headphone output, but one day there was some disturbance in the... area, some construction noise pushed me to find a quick solution so I grabbed my senns 650 and stick them in the socket. Nice, good sound! Wait, I'm only listening to some dudes talking about the news... But the richness!

Of course I hooked up right away my meridian dac to the NAD and started shuffling my music library...

I was under the impression that someone is joking me and change the output, I'm listening and keep staring at the headphone socket and can't believe the sound comes out of this old piece... Completely flabbergasted!

I mean the details, the soundstage, oh my! But mostly, the voices... So organic, I'm really shocked!

Done some A/B between the Benchmark with my beloved Focals, Beyers, Senns and the Nad and I'm probably trying to justify the price of the Benchmark, I would say it sounded a bit more 'airy', 'clearer' to use a few clichés, but I mean just a tiny bit, splitting hair...

So, how it sounds? Fa-bu-lous! Never used so many superlatives in a couple of sentences, but I'm just blown away, I'm lost for words, a few weeks after and still can't believe that such an old piece of kit can deliver at this level, I mean I'm comparing it to one of the greatest and the difference is hardly noticeable. I'm simply mesmerised by the quality of the headphone output of the NAD, such a natural sound, effortlessly presented with great clarity and huge amount of details, and with all genres.

Astonished ! I really can't speak for other vintage equipment, Sansui, Marantz, Kenwood, Luxman and so on, but if you have the chance, grab a NAD 7240pe for pennies and enjoy the marvellous sound!

Glad that you're enjoying your system! I have an old NAD 3130 from 1987 that still sounds great. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back