Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Apr 12, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #18,226 of 19,143
I've no idea how the Pioneer SX-1250, SX-1280 and SX-1980 sound until I watch the videos of this ad of the SX-1980 in the local forum today. This is high end sound to my ears. Superb clarity and sound really good.

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/282365-pioneer-sx-1980-monster-receiver/

I think most of us Pioneer fans would agree! :thumbsup:

I enjoyed a Pioneer SX690 for about a year before she petered out probably caps. I was totally impressed with this “smaller” unit. Sounded better than the same vintage Yamaha model which was bigger and heavier.

The SX690 wattage ratings seemed conservative - for what she could do. Probably not too difficult, but I don’t have time to refurb her, so she’s on Craigslist now. :disappointed_relieved:

Apr 12, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #18,227 of 19,143
Now with my 20 years old Axis LS28 speakers. It's in as new condition. It is well look after. :) The LS28 sounds way better than the Diamond 10.1.

IMG-2664.JPG

Apr 12, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #18,228 of 19,143
I enjoyed a Pioneer SX690 for about a year before she petered out probably caps. I was totally impressed with this “smaller” unit. Sounded better than the same vintage Yamaha model which was bigger and heavier.

The SX690 wattage ratings seemed conservative - for what she could do. Probably not too difficult, but I don’t have time to refurb her, so she’s on Craigslist now. :disappointed_relieved:

That Pioneer SX690 would have been good but I've never had a vintage Pioneer. So help me that I don't buy one of each brand or I'll be send to the dog's house. I love all the 4 vintage amps that I have now. Even the small cheap ones. Good with headphones and speakers. What more can I ask for. :)

The Sansui AU-717 was send to Skippy for binding posts installation yesterday.

You have some good gear there in your signature. I have Dynaudio Esotec 242 gt speakers installed in my car.

Apr 12, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #18,229 of 19,143
Putting my amps through my small speakers. Rolling with Sansui AU-7700 and Wharfedale Diamond 10.1. There's something about the 7700 tone that makes me love it. It's neither too warm or too clinical.

I am very happy to read that,because it is what I think about my Au 7700 and the reason why I love it so much...I even prefer it to my x series Sansui that is more analytical than my 7700 but without being dry for sure the x series are top of the line... It is only my actual choice with my actual speakers...You opinion is confirming my bias...My best to you...

Apr 12, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #18,230 of 19,143
I am very happy to read that,because it is what I think about my Au 7700 and the reason why I love it so much...I even prefer it to my x series Sansui that is more analytical than my 7700 but without being dry for sure the x series are top of the line... It is only my actual choice with my actual speakers...You opinion is confirming my bias...My best to you...

When I go and collect my AU-717, Skippy will let me listen to a 907 alpha. This will give me a taste of what the Sansui alphas sounds like.

Apr 12, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #18,232 of 19,143
I think you will be astounded by the alpha Sansui... very refine sound....But for me my alpha does not crush the AU 7700 in any way, they are very different, the synergy with the speakers is the way to choose which is the best for that speakers... I own the top of the line Mission cyrus 781 with them the 7700 is the best, but in the past I had the Tannoy gold dual concentric with them the alpha would be the best....

Apr 12, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #18,234 of 19,143
The Tannoy were stupendous yes but too big for my desk and for nearfield listening....I sold my 2 pairs ….:deadhorse:

I must say that I enjoy nearfield listening so much that use my headphones less often and they are very good tough...The Mission Cyrus are able to delivered a depth soundstage that are vey good....But the Sansui and the Dac are also some important factors for that I think... Near listening field is my way now....

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #18,235 of 19,143
Beautiful @DRHamp. Amp is in very good condition. You don't need anymore. Get it restored and enjoy it. Next get small speakers for it. You'll be surprised how good it sound through a pair of bookshelf speakers.

Yes, I have a pair of KEF Q100 which I plan to use - all set up at a work station, so I only have room for nearfield. Looking forward to giving them a try.

Apr 12, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #18,236 of 19,143
Looks good DR.
I agree, one project at a time (something I’m still working on!).
Wood case looks great
Any tubes in her? “Warmer than Mjolnir2”
Is this just for headphones or speakers too?

No tubes, all solid state. I am hoping to use both speakers and headphones. While the Mjolnir 2 isn't necessarily bright, it is less warm than these vintage amps and most tube hybrids that I've tried.

Apr 13, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #18,237 of 19,143
Here's the Sherwood S-8800 - got it today. - it sounds very good out of the Yggy and the FM is good. I haven't opened it up yet but need to do that soon. A couple of obervations out of the box.
1. Only light working at turn-on is the tuner signal light - no other lighting
2. Balance control is reversed R is L and vice-versa - it is also very noisy
3. The wood veneer cabinet is very nice, but I don't think it's original to the unit (based on pictures I've seen)
4. It sounds very good in it's current state- warmer than the Mjolnir 2 (this is with about 30 min of listening)
5. While it meets my expectations, I probably won't buy another "project amp or receiver"

I found that it is common for Sherwood receivers to have L/R balance reversed out of the HP jack (not speakers though).

Apr 13, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #18,238 of 19,143
I found that it is common for Sherwood receivers to have L/R balance reversed out of the HP jack (not speakers though).

Ahhh good to know -- haven't tried speakers yet but will do so soon. Have it open now and I don't see any indication of replaced parts - it is pretty clean and looks to be all original. I've found several other pictures also and now believe the wood case is original.

S-8800 Open.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #18,239 of 19,143
Ahhh good to know -- haven't tried speakers yet but will do so soon. Have it open now and I don't see any indication of replaced parts - it is pretty clean and looks to be all original. I've found several other pictures also and now believe the wood case is original.

Very nice. They are quite easy to work on, being so well organized. I have found a few Sherwoods that don't have the L/R reversed, but not many.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #18,240 of 19,143
Now with my 20 years old Axis LS28 speakers. It's in as new condition. It is well look after. :) The LS28 sounds way better than the Diamond 10.1.

No doubt, the LS28 are beauties!
(And i always go for the bigger bookshelves)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back