Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Apr 21, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #18,256 of 19,142
And perhaps at some point in the audio quality level for amplifier, Sansui or not, there is more to gain with tweaks and cleaning method,vibrations controls, or dac upgrade or turntable upgrade, etc , than to purchase another amplifier,Sansui or not ...:ksc75smile:
Perhaps I say all that because I am already green face with envy...I think so after all.... Damn it ! I want now another Sansui I confess to you all ahhhhh….
:deadhorse:

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2019 at 3:24 AM Post #18,258 of 19,142
And perhaps at some point in the audio quality level for amplifier, Sansui or not, there is more to gain with tweaks and cleaning method,vibrations controls, or dac upgrade or turntable upgrade, etc , than to purchase another amplifier,Sansui or not ...:ksc75smile:
Perhaps I say all that because I am already green face with envy...I think so after all.... Damn it ! I want now another Sansui I confess to you all ahhhhh….

I'm luckily at the point where I've played around with numerous speakers and DACs at various price points, and have settled upon options which are not necessarily the most expensive components that I’ve ever owned, but are the best sounding to my ears. Same goes for interconnects and whatnot. I could upgrade my turntable, although it is fully overhauled and certainly no slouch with the DL-110 HOMC cart.

I could sell all of my Sansui gear and buy a very high-priced system, but it would lack that emotional investment that I have with my Sansuis and, let’s face it, the emotional engagement with music is what this hobby is all about. :)

Apr 22, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #18,259 of 19,142
I'm luckily at the point where I've played around with numerous speakers and DACs at various price points, and have settled upon options which are not necessarily the most expensive components that I’ve ever owned, but are the best sounding to my ears. Same goes for interconnects and whatnot. I could upgrade my turntable, although it is fully overhauled and certainly no slouch with the DL-110 HOMC cart.

I could sell all of my Sansui gear and buy a very high-priced system, but it would lack that emotional investment that I have with my Sansuis and, let’s face it, the emotional engagement with music is what this hobby is all about. :)

Very well said! There is nothing than that "emotional engagement with music" in this hobby for me too, when we have it, we stick to it, and sometimes we buy more of this loved gear at first "sight" , the reason why I had 2 Sansuis, and more to come if I can...My best to you...

Apr 22, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #18,260 of 19,142
I could upgrade my turntable, although it is fully overhauled and certainly no slouch with the DL-110 HOMC cart.

I have the DL-110 and DL-301 mkII. Love the Denon house sound!

Apr 22, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #18,261 of 19,142
Apr 22, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #18,262 of 19,142
How would you describe the house sound of Denon gear?

Well, on my system I would say the 301 is a little to warmer side of neutral (with a slightly recessed mid range). Matches well with the 1250 as it can be brighter. I would say the 110 is brighter with a bit of a rise in the high end. Detail is good on both, but they are not ultra detailed either.

Apr 23, 2019 at 5:04 AM Post #18,263 of 19,142
I have the DL-110 and DL-301 mkII. Love the Denon house sound!

Nice, I've got the DL110, DL301 mkI and a DL103LC!

Well, on my system I would say the 301 is a little to warmer side of neutral (with a slightly recessed mid range). Matches well with the 1250 as it can be brighter. I would say the 110 is brighter with a bit of a rise in the high end. Detail is good on both, but they are not ultra detailed either.

Interesting, the mk1 to me sounds dead neutral and even across the board and more or less like a perfected DL110; to me both where only bright if the record was. The DL301/Lounge Audio Copla/ Kenwood KA-9100 setup I'm running is heavenly. I want to mod the DL103 before I put it on but maybe I'll give it a test run at some point.

Apr 23, 2019 at 5:48 AM Post #18,264 of 19,142

I'm quite happy with my source(s) now. Well make it very happy. :) If I ain't happy with Yggdrasil and Rega Rp8 with Apheta cartridge, then I must be very picky. :)

As for speakers, I've a very sentimental attachment with my 20 years old Axis LS28 and LS88. In addition, I'll be receiving the Axis Voicebox S in a few days time. This will be the 2nd time I'm going to be with this super monitor. What's more special is that the designer of these Axis speakers was in my house a year ago and we spin quite a few vinyls together namely Led Zeppelin because he's a fan. Yes 'Stairway to heaven' !

So now I've got Redgum and my Sansui AU-717. I guess asking for another Sansui Au alpha 907MR isn't too much right? :thinking:

By the way, I'm selling my AU-7700 to a friend, fan and fiend ! I know he will like it as much as I did. Why did I sell it? Well he wanted it and I see no point in having so many amps at home.

Apr 23, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #18,265 of 19,142
Nice, I've got the DL110, DL301 mkI and a DL103LC!
Interesting, the mk1 to me sounds dead neutral and even across the board and more or less like a perfected DL110; to me both where only bright if the record was. The DL301/Lounge Audio Copla/ Kenwood KA-9100 setup I'm running is heavenly. I want to mod the DL103 before I put it on but maybe I'll give it a test run at some point.

I would say your description of the 301 as a perfected 110 is very accurate. And yes, it is very neutral.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #18,266 of 19,142
Just got my AU-317 back from re-cap and picked up a refurbished TU-317 while it was away. The 317 fed by the Yggy is better than excellent. Can't
wait for the AU-7900 to get back.

AU-317-TU-317-Yggy.jpg

Apr 23, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #18,268 of 19,142
Only downside is that now a DL304 or DL305 is calling my name!

Well, if you didn't have upgrade-itis you probably would not be an audiophile. You are in good company my friend!

Apr 24, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #18,269 of 19,142
Just got my AU-317 back from re-cap and picked up a refurbished TU-317 while it was away. The 317 fed by the Yggy is better than excellent. Can't
wait for the AU-7900 to get back.

Lovely - the AU-317 is an under-rated gem, and that slimline form factor can be a big plus. I run a restored 317 as part of my PC rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back