Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Apr 10, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #18,211 of 19,142
Hard to say, but the single most important component in my chain may be my Yggy - I love my Yggy and it loves the vintage amps.

Yggy has been the most important purchase for me (besides the Rega Rp8). I've no doubt Yggy enhanced the listening experience for me in my journey with WA5LE, GOTL, Ragnarok and now the vintage amps.

Apr 10, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #18,212 of 19,142
@SpeakerBox you have a very nice range of vintage amps and that Harmon Kardon 330 A/B is a lovely looking vintage gear.

My Sansui AU-505 is also capacitor coupled while the others are direct coupled. So Pete explained to me. I agree with his summary.

'Whilst the Sansui-AU505 is lovely and drives headphones really well in my opinion, it will probably sound quite different to your current Schiit amp. I haven't heard the Schiit, but I expect that being a direct-coupled design, it has a vice-like grip over the drivers. In comparison, this early model, capacitor-coupled Sansui is not going to be as tight sounding, and it will also be a tad warmer in its presentation. The midrange really is lovely though - this is probably the biggest strength of these Sansuis. I adore their voicing!'

Apr 11, 2019 at 2:37 AM Post #18,213 of 19,142
Sony STR 7035 and Wharfedale Diamond 10.1.

Now this is what I call cheap and good. John Darko reviewed the speakers 9 years ago. https://darko.audio/2010/08/wharfedale-diamond-101-standmount-loudspeaker/

IMG-2650.JPG

Apr 11, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #18,214 of 19,142
@SpeakerBox you have a very nice range of vintage amps and that Harmon Kardon 330 A/B is a lovely looking vintage gear.

The sound signature of the 330A is much as you described with great mids and full bass. I am now very happy with combination of HK330A, Fisher 400, and Pioneer SX-1250 (all have been restored), but it has been a long journey to this point. I am 63 and have been around the audio block a few times. I started with a Bogen tube amp that my uncle gave me as a kid (he was a audio engineer - loved that guy!). In my teens I moved into the HK330A (not sure what happened to that one - but I did not fully appreciate what I had). Then - at around age 18 I got the high end bug. My first sort of HE piece was a SAE 2400L. That amp formed the base of a dorm room system with my audio fanatic room mate. The system consisted of a Technics TT with Grado cartridge, a DB Systems DB-1A preamp, the SAE 2400L, and a pair of Quad ESL 57s (not kidding!). We were engineers - had to have the best! When we got tired of hauling the quads around I built a pair of LS3/5A clones (still have them and can post plans if anyone wants them - they sound very good with the Fisher). Later on I went through lots of stuff including Amber ST70, Proceed Amp 3, and Jeff Rowland M1s used as mono blocks. Also had Magnepan MG1s for a while then designed my own speakers which I still have along with the LS3/5As. Then I stumbled on this thread and my zeal for the vintage stuff came back to life. Sold everything else and will stay with my vintage gear. Audio is a great hobby!

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #18,216 of 19,142
Here's the Sansui AU-717 and Yamaha pairing in the TV system...............

Sansui and Yamaha.jpg

Apr 11, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #18,217 of 19,142
Quite an audio journey there for you @SpeakerBox . Thanks for sharing.

The Fisher 400 and Pioneer SX 1250 are covered pieces.

Any favourite amongst the 3 or do you just like them all for the variety?

Apr 11, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #18,219 of 19,142
@UntilThen I would have to say that overall the 1250 is the best. Very detailed sound which I like and the build quality is off the charts good. The only thing you have to watch with the 1250 is that it can sound bright with the wrong speakers or headphones. System matching is very important with that receiver. I have voiced the speakers I built to match it.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 2:53 AM Post #18,220 of 19,142
@UntilThen I would have to say that overall the 1250 is the best. Very detailed sound which I like and the build quality is off the charts good. The only thing you have to watch with the 1250 is that it can sound bright with the wrong speakers or headphones. System matching is very important with that receiver. I have voiced the speakers I built to match it.

I've no idea how the Pioneer SX-1250, SX-1280 and SX-1980 sound until I watch the videos of this ad of the SX-1980 in the local forum today. This is high end sound to my ears. Superb clarity and sound really good.

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/282365-pioneer-sx-1980-monster-receiver/

Apr 12, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #18,221 of 19,142
Apr 12, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #18,222 of 19,142
Here's the Sherwood S-8800 - got it today. - it sounds very good out of the Yggy and the FM is good. I haven't opened it up yet but need to do that soon. A couple of obervations out of the box.
1. Only light working at turn-on is the tuner signal light - no other lighting
2. Balance control is reversed R is L and vice-versa - it is also very noisy
3. The wood veneer cabinet is very nice, but I don't think it's original to the unit (based on pictures I've seen)
4. It sounds very good in it's current state- warmer than the Mjolnir 2 (this is with about 30 min of listening)
5. While it meets my expectations, I probably won't buy another "project amp or receiver"

S-8800 Face.jpg S-8800 Face2.jpg S-8800 Cabinet.jpg

Apr 12, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #18,223 of 19,142
Beautiful @DRHamp. Amp is in very good condition. You don't need anymore. Get it restored and enjoy it. Next get small speakers for it. You'll be surprised how good it sound through a pair of bookshelf speakers.

Apr 12, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #18,224 of 19,142
Here's the Sherwood S-8800 - got it today. - it sounds very good out of the Yggy and the FM is good. I haven't opened it up yet but need to do that soon. A couple of obervations out of the box.
1. Only light working at turn-on is the tuner signal light - no other lighting
2. Balance control is reversed R is L and vice-versa - it is also very noisy
3. The wood veneer cabinet is very nice, but I don't think it's original to the unit (based on pictures I've seen)
4. It sounds very good in it's current state- warmer than the Mjolnir 2 (this is with about 30 min of listening)
5. While it meets my expectations, I probably won't buy another "project amp or receiver"

Looks good DR.
I agree, one project at a time (something I’m still working on!).
Wood case looks great
Any tubes in her? “Warmer than Mjolnir2”
Is this just for headphones or speakers too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back