Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Apr 8, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #18,181 of 19,143
I got the Fisher 400 in large part because the HD600s sounded too thin on SS for my tastes. They are greatly improved on the Fisher tubes.

Apr 8, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #18,182 of 19,143
@Oregonian where is your 717 and impressions !

So I listened to it from a CD player and from an iPad via a NuForce iDo DAC through my Pioneer SE Master 1 headphones and am quite impressed..............the warm sound and bass was exceptional, much like most of my higher end/higher wattage Pioneers (SA-8800, SA-9900 and Spec system (Spec 1 preamp/Spec 2 amp).

Wanted to hook it up in my garage gym system (currently Spec 1 preamp/SA-8800 amp) but didn't have the time to pull the SA-8800 out as time got away from me, between having my 5 month old grandson for a day this weekend and my father in law moving in. But I did put it in use last night in my music room TV system as the amp being fed from a Yamaha RX-670 front end (preamp) with an iPhone 5 feeding it again through a NuForce iDo DAC into a pair of Polk Audio 5JR speakers and Polk sub on the B speaker channel. Also played some streaming music via Pandora out of the Smart TV. Wow.............great great sound. For now I'm leaving it in the TV system - the black face matches the Yamaha perfectly and really makes those Polk speakers sing!

Pic coming soon................for now here's an update on the garage gym system - just added in the Spec 1 preamp to this last week before the Sansui hit my radar. This garage system sounds incredible - with 4 speakers and a 12" Velodyne sub, truly a surround system that blows away the 5.1 systems you buy at Best Buy.
Home gym stack Spec 1 and SA 8800 amp.jpg

Apr 8, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #18,184 of 19,143
Very nice @Oregonian
Newer heard the spec-1 pre, but used a spec-2 together with a top Onkyo Integra pre (can't remember the model).
The spec-2 delivers some serious grunt.
And it sounds amazing to.

Agreed on both the grunt and sound - mine was bench tested at 309 wpc (rated at 250) when I had the cold solder issue reflowed about 4 years ago. It's kind of silly, right? We use maybe 10 wpc (if that) and the sound is deafening. Kinda like an 800 hp motor in a street car.........I do like watching those needles on the Spec 2 amp dance though. I should talk...........my 2001 Dodge 2500 has around 400 hp and over 800 lb/ft of torque and though I don't ever really "use" the full amount of power it's fun to drive at the lower end of the power.

This is Spec 1 # 2 in my house - needed a home and figured why not put it in use? You all inspire me - it all started with Skylab's pics from a few years ago.

Apr 8, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #18,185 of 19,143
The great thing about this journey is that feeling when you've reached a good point along the way and you can finally stop annoying the wife by swapping out components constantly haha.
That being said, I still am always on the hunt for new items to try out, so the journey continues. :D

Glad I'm not the lone voice regarding the Sony. At the price I paid, the lovely tone is almost too good to be true. Your 6 series is better regarded than the 7 series I think. Sony of that era are truly under-rated.

That Sansui G-33000 of yours has a asking price of almost 10 grand now. :)

I read this thread a lot but mostly just like posts. One of the nice things about buying a TOTL vintage amp/receiver and then having it completely restored/recapped is that one gets to enjoy it for a very long period of time without swapping it out for something else. I enjoy my pioneer SX 1980 on a daily basis and still absolutely love it.

Agree 100%. My rebuilt SX-1250 is also in use on a daily basis. Audio nirvana!

Apr 8, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #18,186 of 19,143
Wow, woke up to see the thread revived. :) Welcome back @Skylab. When I started in 2015 on headphones, I read a lot of your reviews, especially the tube amps (Darkvoice 337, WA22, Single Power, etc) comparisons and HD800, T1 and LCD-3 reviews. I even bought a pair of NOS Tung Sol 6as7g from you.

Now I see pictures of your den in this thread, with the amazing collection of vintage gear.

Apr 8, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #18,187 of 19,143
Oregonian, thanks for the feedback. You have a lovely collection of Pioneer spec-1 and spec-2 separates. Very rare indeed. Glad you're liking the Sansui AU-717. The internal design is lovely with it's dual mono power supplies.

Apr 8, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #18,188 of 19,143
The great thing about this journey is that feeling when you've reached a good point along the way and you can finally stop annoying the wife by swapping out components constantly haha.
That being said, I still am always on the hunt for new items to try out, so the journey continues. :D

Too right. With that Sansui G-33000, it should have been the end. :)

Several times along this journey, I too felt that it should have been the end for me and that I should just kick back and listen to music. Like in 2017, when I bought Yggdrasil, Ragnarok, HD800 and LCD-2f new from Addicted To Audio. Then something comes along and gets my attention. Like the Glenn OTL amp and these lovely sounding Sansui(s). And so the journey continues...

Apr 8, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #18,189 of 19,143
Anyone tested Sony 7025 reciever headphone out? Preferable on LCD series?

Ah that's like the younger brother of my Sony STR 7035, which sounded great with my LCD-3f.

The 7035 is 24w and the 7025 is 18w and if you're just using it for headphones, that's a lot! Of course for headphone listening, there's a resistor to step it down so it doesn't blow your precious headphone drivers.

Here's a review of the 7025 and she has an immaculate looking 7025.

Apr 8, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #18,191 of 19,143
You have a very nice AU-7500. The Audeze LCD-3f sounds great on a vintage amp. I've not stop marvelling at the bass this headphone produces and I've had it less than 2 weeks ago.

A minty Sony STR 7025 would be a good addition to your collection. I'm listening now to the LCD-3f through the Sony STR 7035. Playing 'Private Investigations' by Dire Straits, the pluck of the guitar chords and the impact of the drums is as good as some of the best system I've heard..... well nearly. :)

Playing 'Brothers In Arms' by Dire Straits, I'm transported to the aftermath of the battlefield, smoke still rising in the distance and the unique voice of Mark Knopfler and his amazing guitar works. All these from the budget friendly Sony and LCD-3f.... and a little help from Yggy.

Apr 8, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #18,192 of 19,143
Thx @UntilThen
The lcd3f is a marvelous headphone, awesome sound.
The 7500 didn't mate well with the he560 when I tried though.
The he560 turned into a bass monster, seems as a mismatch between these 2.
Latest Dido in MQA from Tidal on 7500+LCD sounds just magical.

Apr 8, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #18,195 of 19,143
I've a hard time articulating the differences between my Sansui AU-505, AU-7700 and AU-717. Add the Sony to the mix, I'll have to rake my brains. :)

The one thing that stood out with listening to the LCD-3f with these vintage amps / receiver is the visceral impact. You feel it in your gut. It's not rational but you know you hear a lovely tone.

To be more precise, in terms of scale of brightness to warmness, this is how I hear it:-

Bright Warm
Sony STR 7035 > Sansui AU7700 > AU-505 > AU-717

None of these can be classified as bright. It's just relative to each other. Lest you think that the warm is a muddy kind of warm, it is far from it. It is the quality kind of warmth, with good sprinkling of clarity and details droplets.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back