Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Apr 22, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #17,116 of 19,136
  Woohoo....I bought a SX-780 on fleabay this morning for $206.  It is reportedly in excellent, super clean condition, which is corroborated by the pictures showing both the exterior and interior.  I forgot to ask the seller before bidding whether or not it's been recapped or serviced.  Once I get the unit and pull the cabinet off, is there any way I can tell just by looking whether the caps are relatively new?  Will it be obvious?  I don't think I have enough posts yet to be able to put up pics, but if it helps, here's a link to the listing where you can see what it looks like -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-SX-780-Excellent-/272632230608?hash=item3f7a25b2d0%3Ag%3Aoo0AAOSwj25Y8iLi&nma=true&si=rri9XUsRN4dlBZHvfVHJPqdgrLw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Any comments welcome.  Yep, I've got Deoxit at the ready...

If there is dust on the top of the electrolytic caps it most likely has not been recapped.  You can also check the bottom of the boards for fresh solder work.  Bulging or leaking cans are also a telltale sign it still needs a recap.

For $200 it probably has not been recapped.  Still a good buy though.

Apr 24, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #17,117 of 19,136
As the saying goes, "Style is back in style'...In truth, looks such as displayed by the style of receivers and integrated amps such as these never goes out.    That, my friends, is class.

As for being able to drive a headphone, I have never had a problem with any thing I bought.  Brand new or 40+ years old.  This does not mean I will never buy a stand alone headphone amplifier, I will when one is made that makes me want to look at it as much as I want to listen to music through it.

Apr 24, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #17,118 of 19,136
  As the saying goes, "Style is back in style'...In truth, looks such as displayed by the style of receivers and integrated amps such as these never goes out.    That, my friends, is class.

As for being able to drive a headphone, I have never had a problem with any thing I bought.  Brand new or 40+ years old.  This does not mean I will never buy a stand alone headphone amplifier, I will when one is made that makes me want to look at it as much as I want to listen to music through it.

How about this.
http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=headphoneamplifiers&ProductId=MHA150

Apr 25, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #17,120 of 19,136
  Woohoo....I bought a SX-780 on fleabay this morning for $206.  It is reportedly in excellent, super clean condition, which is corroborated by the pictures showing both the exterior and interior.  I forgot to ask the seller before bidding whether or not it's been recapped or serviced.  Once I get the unit and pull the cabinet off, is there any way I can tell just by looking whether the caps are relatively new?  Will it be obvious?  I don't think I have enough posts yet to be able to put up pics, but if it helps, here's a link to the listing where you can see what it looks like -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-SX-780-Excellent-/272632230608?hash=item3f7a25b2d0%3Ag%3Aoo0AAOSwj25Y8iLi&nma=true&si=rri9XUsRN4dlBZHvfVHJPqdgrLw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Any comments welcome.  Yep, I've got Deoxit at the ready...

Congrats...
Now you got the bug.

Apr 25, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #17,121 of 19,136

Congrats...
Now you got the bug.

Indeed.  I just snagged a Marantz 2226b in similar condition to the 780.  I'm looking forward to cleaning and tinkering.

Apr 28, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #17,122 of 19,136
IMG_20170425_174926346.jpg IMG_20170425_175117649.jpg good news, and bad news over update over the last couple of days here in my short journey in the vintage world
i'm having an issue with the marantz, earlier this morning, when i turned it on, the sound was very staticy, i turned it off, turned it back on, static was gone, then after a few minutes, the output faded, and had some static
turned it off, and back on, and so far it seems fine, i guess i have something going bad, but, i have no real clue
ideas ??

now on the upside , i got some some speakers , two pair, a pair of acoustic research tsw 210's, and a pair of boston acoustics hd8's, got them from a guy here locally i found on CL, he has a garage stuffed with vintage gear ! :astonished:

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #17,123 of 19,136
good news, and bad news over update over the last couple of days here in my short journey in the vintage world
i'm having an issue with the marantz, earlier this morning, when i turned it on, the sound was very staticy, i turned it off, turned it back on, static was gone, then after a few minutes, the output faded, and had some static
turned it off, and back on, and so far it seems fine, i guess i have something going bad, but, i have no real clue
ideas ??

now on the upside , i got some some speakers , two pair, a pair of acoustic research tsw 210's, and a pair of boston acoustics hd8's, got them from a guy here locally i found on CL, he has a garage stuffed with vintage gear ! :astonished:

The HD 8 and 9 can sound really good. The surrounds are not too difficult to replace and the tweeters are generally available on eBay.

Several years ago my younger son took a Mitsubishi DA C7 & DA A7 & matching turntable with HD9s to school with him, everyone in his building claimed he had the best system there :)

r2

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #17,124 of 19,136
On Mitsubishi - the DA series is remarkable and often overlooked. The DA A10 and A15 power amps punch way above many others of the late 1970s, IMHO. They tend to be on the neutral side of sound when compared to contemporaries.

JMTC,
r2

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #17,125 of 19,136
The HD 8 and 9 can sound really good. The surrounds are not too difficult to replace and the tweeters are generally available on eBay.

Several years ago my younger son took a Mitsubishi DA C7 & DA A7 & matching turntable with HD9s to school with him, everyone in his building claimed he had the best system there :)

r2

i like the hd8's more than the tsw210's, they are really good
i'll probably sell the 210's
oh, and the guy i bought them from has already refoamed them both, both pair are in super shape

any thoughts on the marantz's problem, it's been fine since early this morning, no static at all

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #17,126 of 19,136

any thoughts on the marantz's problem, it's been fine since early this morning, no static at all

With these old systems random stuff happens. Sometimes, it is a bad connection through a switch or control and working them shakes it loose. However, what you describe may also be a part failing.

I have a Pioneer SM 100 power amp that more often than not starts up with one channel out. Letting it sit with the power on for a few minutes and then working the volume, balance, source, etc. on the SC 100 pre amp kicks it in. Not worth chasing down, someday something may fail and it can be fixed.

My prized vintage pieces always go to the Dr. for a check up, others just get used "played with" and any broken stuff gets on a to be fixed list. I have 2 much stuff, so a piece that breaks is not a disaster for me.

r2

Apr 28, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #17,127 of 19,136
With these old systems random stuff happens. Sometimes, it is a bad connection through a switch or control and working them shakes it loose. However, what you describe may also be a part failing.

I have a Pioneer SM 100 power amp that more often than not starts up with one channel out. Letting it sit with the power on for a few minutes and then working the volume, balance, source, etc. on the SC 100 pre amp kicks it in. Not worth chasing down, someday something may fail and it can be fixed.

My prized vintage pieces always go to the Dr. for a check up, others just get used "played with" and any broken stuff gets on a to be fixed list. I have 2 much stuff, so a piece that breaks is not a disaster for me.

r2

i kinda figured something might be dying, luckily i have the H/K 330c too, and have a guy relatively near me that fixes/restores vintage gear

Apr 30, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #17,130 of 19,136
Answering the call with my first Receiver incoming :gs1000smile: a Sansui G-401. The thing has "pure power" on the front , so hoping for more power and Sansui goodness.

Well done!

I am contemplating this -

5655630cv18d.jpg%253BmaxHeight%253D550%253BmaxWidth%253D642.jpg

For one of my set ups. Whether or not I get this one, I still want the Sgt. Peppers 50th 'table, all so fro Pro-Ject.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back