Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
May 5, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #17,132 of 19,136
See if you can find a Thorens TD 160, or even better, a TD 145 which is a 160 with auto lift. They're beautiful, sound awesome, and are built like a tank. Also very modable if you like that sort of thing.

I bought the Beatles '64. I gave great consideration to the 50th Anniversary Sgt. Peppers 'table and in truth, may still order one so that when I am gone, both of my children can have a piece of my musical memories.

May 5, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #17,133 of 19,136
The other day I was in Barnes and Noble and noticed they have a vinyl section,so I went over to check out the new vinyl offerings.
I spotted the first Ramones album,re-issue,looked at the price tag....

70.00usd!!!!:triportsad:

All my thoughts of buying a TT vanished right then and there.

May 5, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #17,134 of 19,136
The other day I was in Barnes and Noble and noticed they have a vinyl section,so I went over to check out the new vinyl offerings.

There are a great many fine recordings that cost far less than $70. I could not find that one listed in vinyl at the Narnes & Boble web site. They had it on CD. My local N&B gas George Harrison's magnum opus, the 3 LP set of "All Things Must Pass" for $69.00. I have yet to buy it because I already have the CD. I may still purchase it because it reminds me more of my youth and I derive a degree of pleasure from the tactile feel of a vinyl record in my hads.

If that ("The Ramones") was the only album you were truly interested in, then I can see why you would not buy a 'table. Records in the 60s and 70s were $3.00 to $5.00, some times more. But the wages were a lot less.

Do as you see fit.

May 6, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #17,135 of 19,136
There are a great many fine recordings that cost far less than $70. I could not find that one listed in vinyl at the Narnes & Boble web site. They had it on CD. My local N&B gas George Harrison's magnum opus, the 3 LP set of "All Things Must Pass" for $69.00. I have yet to buy it because I already have the CD. I may still purchase it because it reminds me more of my youth and I derive a degree of pleasure from the tactile feel of a vinyl record in my hads.

If that ("The Ramones") was the only album you were truly interested in, then I can see why you would not buy a 'table. Records in the 60s and 70s were $3.00 to $5.00, some times more. But the wages were a lot less.

Do as you see fit.

Id be interested in more than the Ramones debut album,but if one album costs 70.00,and they have 14 studio albums,a couple live LPs and a few compilations...Now Im not claiming to be Einstein but that comes out to about 1400.00 give or take just to complete their discography.

My digital collection sits at around 11000 files,and had over 600 LPs back before I sold my collection before I moved overseas...Id love to add a TT,but pure finances pretty much guarantees that I will stay digital.

May 6, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #17,136 of 19,136
Id be interested in more than the Ramones debut album,but if one album costs 70.00,and they have 14 studio albums,a couple live LPs and a few compilations...Now Im not claiming to be Einstein but that comes out to about 1400.00 give or take just to complete their discography.

My digital collection sits at around 11000 files,and had over 600 LPs back before I sold my collection before I moved overseas...Id love to add a TT,but pure finances pretty much guarantees that I will stay digital.

I do not blame you one bit. I usually buy albums that I do not have on CD or my computers unless it is some thing like I really want on vinyl. I probably have 30 albums now. I get one, may be two a month, if that. IF.

May 6, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #17,137 of 19,136

Last time I went to my favorite record shop, I came home with 9 used albums, all in very good shape, for 40 bucks. You don't need to spend that kind of money on vinyl unless you choose to.

May 6, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #17,138 of 19,136
pro-ject-essential-3-sgt-peppers.jpg

Ordered this one today. Due in mid June. I picked up my '64 Beatles today. Will get it hooked up tonight or tomorrow. I want to have a 2.1 channel system anchored by one of my vintage receivers down in the "family room" where my wife watches T.V. I can hook the T.V. sound in to it if she wants. I hate most T.V. but I under stand why she enjoys it.

A nice vintage receiver, internet tuning source, turntable and single box CD. Oh...and the T.V. if she wants.

May 6, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #17,139 of 19,136
pro-ject-essential-3-sgt-peppers.jpg

Ordered this one today. Due in mid June. I picked up my '64 Beatles today. Will get it hooked up tonight or tomorrow. I want to have a 2.1 channel system anchored by one of my vintage receivers down in the "family room" where my wife watches T.V. I can hook the T.V. sound in to it if she wants. I hate most T.V. but I under stand why she enjoys it.

A nice vintage receiver, internet tuning source, turntable and single box CD. Oh...and the T.V. if she wants.

Pick up a Chromecast audio for 35 bucks and use you smartphone to control it. I just got one and its pretty cool

Users who are viewing this thread

Back