Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Mar 18, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #15,706 of 19,145

Finally found the best spot for my KLH xD
puting them there really took them to another level, even my dad came and said "now they sound amazing!" (he still miss my beats pro lol)

Im using the mirage sub with the KLH (the lows are really lacking because of my onkyo amp), dont get it wrong, Im not a basshead at all, mainly hearing jazz\funk with the KLH.

Mar 18, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #15,707 of 19,145
  Im using the mirage sub with the KLH (because the lows are really lacking because of my onkyo amp), dont get it wrong, Im not a basshead at all, mainly hearing jazz\funk with the KLH.

I probably need a sub too but wallet is lacking atm...

Mar 18, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #15,708 of 19,145
Hello there.
Can show part of my little collection.
Amps: Technics SU-3500 (sold), Luxman L505V, Grundig SV 80M, Leak Stereo 30, Leak Stereo 30 PLus, Dual CV 40, MEtro Sound ST-20.
Turntable: Dual 731Q.
Speakers: Grundig Box 650 (sold), Grundig Box 660b, ATL HD 308S (sold), Leak Sandwich 300, Pioneer CS E-700.

Mar 19, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #15,712 of 19,145
  What do you guys think of BOSE 901(older version Not sure which series)?

Junk.  Nine trashy 3 inch drivers, only one of which pointing at you, the rest bouncing off whatever wall furnishings you have.  Requires a crappy little equalizer to drive these 3 inch speakers to reproduce high and low frequencies they were never meant to cover.  Engineered for advertising copy, not ears.

Mar 19, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #15,715 of 19,145
No headphone jack huh?

Hell who needs a headphones jack!

Neogeo333
forget about costs and what you have is worth, you are done with amps for life, congratulations
beerchug.gif

Mar 19, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #15,717 of 19,145
  What do you guys think of BOSE 901(older version Not sure which series)?

Not a big fan of any Bose product , They were kind of a surround type product long before surround sound .

Junk.  Nine trashy 3 inch drivers, only one of which pointing at you, the rest bouncing off whatever wall furnishings you have.  Requires a crappy little equalizer to drive these 3 inch speakers to reproduce high and low frequencies they were never meant to cover.  Engineered for advertising copy, not ears.

Indeed, a gimmick. Supposedly the best speakers Bose ever made but that doesn't mean much. I heard those when they were brand new but they didn't sound anything like the Infinitys, B&Ws, Fine Arts or anything I listened to in that era. Hell, I didn't want to switch my DIY made (by a school class) speakers with a 15" woofer and horn tweeter without crossovers. Get something with a nice big woofer instead.

I forgot about the pic but it's here now.
They really don't make them like they used to.  I wonder how much would the same integrated today cost with same build and sound quality.  

Yep, always loved Marantz and always loved their Premium Range of that era. Looks gorgeous doesn't it? :)
That said, the new PM-11 range are monsters as well. Rated at 110W RMS at 8Ohm they easily delver over 165W measured. And those still have big transfos. At their price (MSRP 4k but can be found new for a nice price every now and then) Marantz still succeeds in delivering value for money.
The no longer made PM-KI Pearl (not lite!) is a fine example, I had 2 of them. If you want the same quality of the more exotic high end companies you pay a multiple of that price.

Mar 20, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #15,719 of 19,145
  Gents,

Your advice on the Kenwood KR-9600 please.
How does it compare soundwise to Pioneer and Sansui?
Unobtanium parts?

I had one as my first monster receiver. It had a warmish sound, though to be fair I usually played it through JBL L100's which are notoriously warm. It uses power packs for outputs, so in the unlikely event you blow the output you will have to find another power pack or switch the output components to something else. Very good FM reception, tons (gobs and gobs) of power, and really beautiful to look at. It served me for about a decade before I sold it for a SX-1980. It'll sound warmer than the pioneer and just a tiny bit bloomy in comparison. It'll have a huge benefit from a tuneup as it seems like kenwoods drift out of spec fairly severely. The sansui sound... depends on the series, but they tend to be very sweet sounding. Accuracy will depend on the model haha.

Mar 20, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #15,720 of 19,145
  I had one as my first monster receiver. It had a warmish sound, though to be fair I usually played it through JBL L100's which are notoriously warm. It uses power packs for outputs, so in the unlikely event you blow the output you will have to find another power pack or switch the output components to something else. Very good FM reception, tons (gobs and gobs) of power, and really beautiful to look at. It served me for about a decade before I sold it for a SX-1980. It'll sound warmer than the pioneer and just a tiny bit bloomy in comparison. It'll have a huge benefit from a tuneup as it seems like kenwoods drift out of spec fairly severely. The sansui sound... depends on the series, but they tend to be very sweet sounding. Accuracy will depend on the model haha.

Nice looking amp for sure thought I think it doesn't come in that wood case standard. Looks great!
So, unubtanium parts though. And a bit bloomy. I'll keep digging for an SX-1250 then. 
Thank you for the info Phoenix!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back