Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Mar 13, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #15,691 of 19,145
The 717 is duel mono as far as i know...

they both have enough power for a lot of speakers, the question is what amp will control your speaker drivers the best :) 

Also the 717 is pretty much minty-looking and the 9500ii is decent but not the best condition.

Ahh it's a hard hard choice indeed...

Mar 13, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #15,692 of 19,145
Mar 13, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #15,693 of 19,145
I would buy the 717 because condition in the older pieces is very important.  This doesn't mean that the caps are in great shape etc. but I have found that the cosmetics do correspond with a better outcome. It is an obvious statement about how the piece was cared for.  That said if you can try to audition the two to make sure that you really  like the sound the sound quality.
And yes there is  always better gear from .a variety of  other manufacturers, Pioneer has a excellent reputation, I like Sansui Niko and Kenwood among the manufacturers making audio equipment in that era. I am in exile at the moment and am using a Fisher tube receiver circa 1962-4.

Mar 13, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #15,694 of 19,145
Out of curiosity, what would be a fair price for a 717 in good condition?

Mar 13, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #15,695 of 19,145
I would buy the 717 because condition in the older pieces is very important.  This doesn't mean that the caps are in great shape etc. but I have found that the cosmetics do correspond with a better outcome. It is an obvious statement about how the piece was cared for.  That said if you can try to audition the two to make sure that you really  like the sound the sound quality.
And yes there is  always better gear from .a variety of  other manufacturers, Pioneer has a excellent reputation, I like Sansui Niko and Kenwood among the manufacturers making audio equipment in that era. I am in exile at the moment and am using a Fisher tube receiver circa 1962-4.

Yeah, us Sansui guys are in the minority these days. Listening to a Kenwood kr-7600 as we speak, not as nice sounding as my 9090, but a very nice sounding piece all the same. That being said, I can't wait to get the 9090 back from being serviced...

Mar 17, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #15,696 of 19,145
After spending some time with the Sony TA N902, Kenwood L A1 and Marantz PM15 I have decided to keep the Marantz and sell the other two.  As much I want to keep them all space is at a premium.  

The Sony has been recently given a refurbishment, from what I could see in the invoice it had the bias fix?  I can't read Japanese.  But 50,000.00 yen in service for this amp is like a complete refurbishment.  If anyone can translate Japanese I would thank you.  The sound of the Sony is foward, you will hear the sound like in the second or third row.  Great attack and dynamics.   A little on the bright side of neutral.  Great amp with lots of life left.  

Kenwood LA1 is what some calls a hidden Accuphase.   No secret since it was made in the same factory as Accuphase.   The last great integrated from Kenwood.  More laid back sound compared to the Sony.  Warmer sound.  Great mids but not as dynamic  or fast as the Sony.   One fault it has is only the Line 1 rca connection is a bit loose.  It need some pressure to push it sideways to work.  I used a pencil to push in between the R L rca of line 1 to work.  All other inputs work as normal.  

Marantz PM15 integrated is a whole different monster from these two.  I guess this is what the magic of class a does.  It's first 20 to 30 watts are class a and my 95db speakers need only 1 or 2 to sing.  The sound is more romantic on the warm side of neutral.  It has the very liquid mids from the Kenwood and the dynamics and pace of the Sony. Best of both worlds.  Built like a tank.  Almost as good as a Luxman M-07.  

Mar 17, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #15,697 of 19,145
So, I ended up not springing on the A717 and instead buying a few other things...

KEF Model 104aBs

• Armstrong 626
  • NAD 7020
  • Harman Kardon HK930
  • Tandberg 2025

Mar 17, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #15,698 of 19,145
  After spending some time with the Sony TA N902, Kenwood L A1 and Marantz PM15 I have decided to keep the Marantz and sell the other two.  As much I want to keep them all space is at a premium.  

The Sony has been recently given a refurbishment, from what I could see in the invoice it had the bias fix?  I can't read Japanese.  But 50,000.00 yen in service for this amp is like a complete refurbishment.  If anyone can translate Japanese I would thank you.  The sound of the Sony is foward, you will hear the sound like in the second or third row.  Great attack and dynamics.   A little on the bright side of neutral.  Great amp with lots of life left.  

Kenwood LA1 is what some calls a hidden Accuphase.   No secret since it was made in the same factory as Accuphase.   The last great integrated from Kenwood.  More laid back sound compared to the Sony.  Warmer sound.  Great mids but not as dynamic  or fast as the Sony.   One fault it has is only the Line 1 rca connection is a bit loose.  It need some pressure to push it sideways to work.  I used a pencil to push in between the R L rca of line 1 to work.  All other inputs work as normal.  

Marantz PM15 integrated is a whole different monster from these two.  I guess this is what the magic of class a does.  It's first 20 to 30 watts are class a and my 95db speakers need only 1 or 2 to sing.  The sound is more romantic on the warm side of neutral.  It has the very liquid mids from the Kenwood and the dynamics and pace of the Sony. Best of both worlds.  Built like a tank.  Almost as good as a Luxman M-07.  

DAMN what an equipment you have there O_O probably each piece worth 3000$+ now
where is the marantz pics?? 

Mar 17, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #15,699 of 19,145
  So, I ended up not springing on the A717 and instead buying a few other things...

KEF Model 104aBs

• Armstrong 626
  • NAD 7020
  • Harman Kardon HK930
  • Tandberg 2025

nice "near field" system lol 
have fun with your new stuff mate!
beerchug.gif

this tenberg looks awesome, let us know which is your fav one.

btw why u didnt went on the 717?

Mar 17, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #15,700 of 19,145
  nice "near field" system lol 
have fun with your new stuff mate!
beerchug.gif

this tenberg looks awesome, let us know which is your fav one.

btw why u didnt went on the 717?

Not enough space for a proper setup unfortunately so it's towering over my head at the moment 
redface.gif

I am; its a very sweet sound out of the KEFs. The Tandberg and HK are pretty tied at the moment, only time and an eventual full servicing job will tell. Ironically they were also the same price minus the shipping costs of the Tandberg. I'll also have to reservice the Armstrong as the right channel is a few dBs lower than the left and I might as well do the whole thing while I'm at it.

I thought that the price of the A717 was too high and I could've gotten more value for money if I didn't jump on it.

Mar 17, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #15,701 of 19,145
  Not enough space for a proper setup unfortunately so it's towering over my head at the moment 
redface.gif

I am; its a very sweet sound out of the KEFs. The Tandberg and HK are pretty tied at the moment, only time and an eventual full servicing job will tell. Ironically they were also the same price minus the shipping costs of the Tandberg. I'll also have to reservice the Armstrong as the right channel is a few dBs lower than the left and I might as well do the whole thing while I'm at it.

I thought that the price of the A717 was too high and I could've gotten more value for money if I didn't jump on it.

and im sad that i dont have bigger sized room for my speakers lol
i hope u do have some space for them, those speakers need place to breath.

wait all those amps didnt cost as the 717 costed?

Mar 17, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #15,702 of 19,145
They do sound pretty decent just like this but I need a pair of stands, to rearrange my furniture and all that jazz..

Nah, all of them combined did cost more but the HK and Tandberg were about the cost of the A717...

Mar 17, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #15,704 of 19,145

I have mine in the bolted together configuration (fore and aft) and it seems so much less imposing haha. :)

Configs: I go with both just about 50% of the time. Where I attempt to place the unit matters hugely 
rolleyes.gif

How are you getting along with your Big 'G'? Ultimately, in the future I'd like to have my Sansui completely redone, 
kit AND kaboodle! 
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 17, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #15,705 of 19,145
It does have its quirks. For one, it occasionally has a channel imbalance that is caused by a dirty decoupler switch that is devilishly hard to clean. It can usually be cleared with some fussing but man is it annoying haha. As far as sound quality goes, there is no more upgraditis. This is the vaccine and the cure. At lease as far as amplification goes. I wouldn't say no to another top quality source or wireless dac. And I got a new rug. Audiophile grade of course.

Configs: I go with both just about 50% of the time. Where I attempt to place the unit matters hugely :rolleyes:

How are you getting along with your Big 'G'? Ultimately, in the future I'd like to have my Sansui completely redone, 
kit AND kaboodle! :tongue_smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back