Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Nov 6, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #15,271 of 19,145
  A nod to celebrate PhoenixG's recent purchase .::  ::.

The little 
tongue_smile.gif
 sibling seen in the wild Monday night at the Redondo Beach Public Library.

Patrons inside the library were speaking in hushed tones, so I politely jacked Phono 1.
Two hours later, I arrived for a session @ SBUX. Out came the 4-pin xlr adapter for the
modded HE-6. I tapped the speaker outputs and cranked up the volume!

OK.... now I've seen it all.

you even brought a dolly for it

you sir, are the man of the year.

LOL

By the way, what model is that?  

I live on the east side, but now when i'm in redondo, i will visit the library to catch you there.

Nov 7, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #15,272 of 19,145
Looking at the specs, it seems like we have just about the same unit. Just a few more watts out the back of mine, but essentially the same front end. It's pretty fantastic sounding though isn't it?

Quote:
  A nod to celebrate PhoenixG's recent purchase .::  ::.

The little 
tongue_smile.gif
 sibling seen in the wild Monday night at the Redondo Beach Public Library.

Patrons inside the library were speaking in hushed tones, so I politely jacked Phono 1.
Two hours later, I arrived for a session @ SBUX. Out came the 4-pin xlr adapter for the
modded HE-6. I tapped the speaker outputs and cranked up the volume!

Nov 7, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #15,273 of 19,145
I've seen some pretty inconvenient portable rigs, but that has to take the cake. In a good way, of course.

Nov 7, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #15,274 of 19,145
@ Skylab
smiley_thumb.gif
 You know how driven we can get in this hobby...

Quote:
Originally Posted by parbaked /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's great!
Cheers!!

For me, audio has always been fun! Though, through the years I've seen many a forum where members are ready to drop the gloves...sad!
You know, despite my being inside the library listening (trying to anyway...) for two hours, I managed to actually hear one full track undisturbed - at closing time! 
rolleyes.gif

Several male teens and older gents kept stopping to talk. Many loitered nearby waiting for the previous person to walk away. Rather than get frustrated, I patiently answered all questions with delight. We've all been there when we've seen audio gear that made our antennas go straight up! 

Same pleasant distractions @ SBUX from interested males. But since all my gear temporarily resides in storage, when I'm starving for music I take selected pieces out and just hit the road, quiet sessions or no! 
thumbsup.gif

OK.... now I've seen it all.

you even brought a dolly for it

you sir, are the man of the year.

LOL

By the way, what model is that?  

I live on the east side, but now when i'm in redondo, i will visit the library to catch you there.

I've the Sansui G-22000. Hence, the little sibling comment to PhoenixG's G-33000. 
biggrin.gif

Are you ready?! Three...two...one...Lights Out!

Looking at the specs, it seems like we have just about the same unit. Just a few more watts out the back of mine, but essentially the same front end. It's pretty fantastic sounding though isn't it?

Yup. 
wink.gif

First time I ever even heard of or seen pix of this grand 2-piece affair was online in 2013. classicaudio.com was restoring a G-33000 and I couldn't
eek.gif
believe my eyes. I actually visited the site in search of a pre-owned Pioneer to buy - something higher up in the line than the two already owned. 

Reading up on both the models, I decided to buy whichever one I'd find first due to their rarity. 

I've seen some pretty inconvenient portable rigs, but that has to take the cake. In a good way, of course.

Are you familiar with the classic 1979 R&B hit by McFadden & Whitehead "Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now" ? That's how I feel when it's time to wheel my goodies out of storage. 
yes.gif

Nov 12, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #15,275 of 19,145
I use a JVC A-X3 integrated amp as a headphone amp (which sounds almost unreal with my hd600 and t90, sooo good), people say all A-X models sound the same but with different power output so that would include the JVC A-X9, which is the best amp JVC has ever made, wonder if anyone here has compared an A-X model to any other amp, it would be nice to know (have an idea) where it stands.

Nov 12, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #15,276 of 19,145
Very unusual to see much about JVC.  I'm also noted that Kenwood corp. stuff is also not present.  A KA-7100 was my amp for 25 + years from high school until my kids were almost in high school , before the vol knob just spun freely and I was afraid of even trying to replace it.  I bought a few of them and KA-9100s  off Ebay because my son wanted to have what I had, but they were all in bad shape, regardless of advertised condition.  I gave up.  In pursuing this however I found that Kenwood engineers gave birth to TRIO corp.  the direct antecedent to Accuphase, which I also noted isn't a line covered by Audiioclassic.com.  I bought their very first pre, when they were still inexpensive relics of the past " as is" and it worked well for a couple of years.  The jig or gig is up on old accuphase now and chasing them is an expensive endeavor indeed. 

Nov 12, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #15,277 of 19,145
Whilst listening to my favorite music with Denon PMA 520 AE combined with a nearly 28 years old DCD 1500 and the excellent AKG K 612 my thoughts go back to times long gone. I remember owning a Pioneer amp from around 1970. Did it sound bad when I bought for nearly nothing at Ebay in 2011. Not really. Most of the Kenwoods that came and went could also stand the test of time. Same with so called "lo fi" stuff like JVC, Akai, to name but two. Will any of my new Denon CD-machines(520/500) run for 30 years without any service? My DCD 1800 R from around 1984 does!

Nov 12, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #15,278 of 19,145
Sometimes I wish I were born in an earlier age - seems like almost everything that is built now is garbage.  

Nov 12, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #15,280 of 19,145
  Very unusual to see much about JVC.  I'm also noted that Kenwood corp. stuff is also not present.  A KA-7100 was my amp for 25 + years from high school until my kids were almost in high school , before the vol knob just spun freely and I was afraid of even trying to replace it.  I bought a few of them and KA-9100s  off Ebay because my son wanted to have what I had, but they were all in bad shape, regardless of advertised condition.  I gave up.  In pursuing this however I found that Kenwood engineers gave birth to TRIO corp.  the direct antecedent to Accuphase, which I also noted isn't a line covered by Audiioclassic.com.  I bought their very first pre, when they were still inexpensive relics of the past " as is" and it worked well for a couple of years.  The jig or gig is up on old accuphase now and chasing them is an expensive endeavor indeed. 

The jig might be up for you Mechans since you seem to have had bad luck with the purchases you mentioned.  I can tell you that I've owned a Kenwood KA8006 integrated amp for around 8 years now and it works like a charm.  I'm listening to it as I write these words.  I was with my older brother when he bought it in 1974 and was jubilant when he offered it to me, free about 8 years ago.  I had it serviced for around $50.00 and it works and sounds fantastic.  I listen to my music on CDs & have the following setup : Teac PD-H600> coax > Benchmark DAC1 HDR> RCA> KA8006 and SE my HP into the amp HP output.  I've owned a few high priced HP amps (GS-X mk2, Taurus mkII, BHA-1, etc.) & this combination by which I include the KA8006 is the best I've owned.  I don't foresee buying another HP amp in the future.  The only HP amp I own & like is the MAD Ear+ HD which is nice w/ some of the Grados I own.

Nov 13, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #15,281 of 19,145
Not everything that glitters is gold. Even in the glorydays of home hifi. A amplifier that still runs for 40 or more years without any service can be called solid build. Today when most of the hifi gear is China made and more than affordable, less than 300 EUR for the Denon PMA 720, one shouldn`t expect to much lifetime
confused_face.gif

Nov 13, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #15,282 of 19,145
I was referring mainly to the decline in consumer level audio - not the more high end stuff.  I have two Rowland amps that are built like tanks.

Nov 22, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #15,284 of 19,145
So, my hopeful, soon to be Vintage Brethern, I've been pointed here in hopes of getting some help 
confused.gif

I've always liked the look and sound of Pioneer's 1975-85 series amps, especially the Fluoroscan series, and I've been itching to get my own. But...

I have painstakingly built and now run an end to end balanced system, I'd like to extend that to a vintage amp if I could. I'm not totally of the camp that balanced sounds better, I've just built around the idea and I like the connectors :p  I also like the quality of the Mogami or Canare cables and trust in what I'm getting from them vs. the minefield of RCA connectors and audiophile cabling. 

So, what I'm looking for is a vintage amp of good sound that can be fed with balanced, 3pin XLR cables from my DAC or PRE. The output of the amp can be the normal red/black speaker taps, no issues there. I'm just looking for balanced inputs. 

Now the other idea I've wondered about is "balancing" the inputs of a Pioneer SA-9800 manually. Since the amp itself has a balanced topology and balanced outputs, it couldn't be that hard to add properly configured 3pin XLR inputs and pull out a pair or two of the RCA inputs. 

So, if anyone can help me find a balanced input vintage amp, it'd be greatly appreciated. Or if anyone knows where I could go to look into balancing an amp, please point me there :)  Hopefully I'll be joining your ranks soon enough :)

Nov 22, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #15,285 of 19,145
Originally Posted by Benny-x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, my hopeful, soon to be Vintage Brethern, I've been pointed here in hopes of getting some help 
confused.gif

So, if anyone can help me find a balanced input vintage amp, it'd be greatly appreciated. Or if anyone knows where I could go to look into balancing an amp, please point me there :)  Hopefully I'll be joining your ranks soon enough :)

I think your best solution is an adapter cable. 
2 x RCA on one end and whatever balanced connectors you need on the other...done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back