Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Oct 21, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #15,182 of 19,145
Does your sub accept speaker wire? If so just run off of speaker B

This is actually how I run a sub off my SX-1980. Works perfectly. If your sub has speaker-level inputs, and you're not using speakers B, this is the way to go.

Oct 21, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #15,183 of 19,145
This is actually how I run a sub off my SX-1980. Works perfectly. If your sub has speaker-level inputs, and you're not using speakers B, this is the way to go.

I just connected my amp to the subs' speaker in, and the speakers to the speaker out.  This way the speakers and subs are all controlled together.  It also frees up the B speaker terminals for something else.  I also tried using the preamp out, but found that the subs were still playing even though the speakers were turned off and I was listening to headphones.

Oct 21, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #15,184 of 19,145
I don't like doing it that way. I don't want my main speakers to be run through the subwoofer's high pass filter.

If you don't need the Speakers B, connecting the sub to that and the main speakers to Speakers A will allow everything to be controlled perfectly and also allows the main speakers to run full range. I prefer that, myself.

Oct 21, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #15,185 of 19,145
I don't like doing it that way. I don't want my main speakers to be run through the subwoofer's high pass filter.

If you don't need the Speakers B, connecting the sub to that and the main speakers to Speakers A will allow everything to be controlled perfectly and also allows the main speakers to run full range. I prefer that, myself.

I cracked open the subwoofer cabinet and it was just a straight piece of rather beefy wire going from the input to the output.  No high pass filter involved.  There is a low pass filtler built into the subwoofer amp, though.  I'm using Polk 10" subs, one per side, which are fairly simplistic devices.

Oct 21, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #15,186 of 19,145

Yeah i didnt' want to do that either.  My sub is bedside (i'm a basshead 
wink.gif
) and my desktop is about 10ft away, I don't want to many wires running everywhere.

Can I use speaker B for the sub and have speaker taps for my headphones?  This way I'll just turn off the sub when i'm using headphones.

Oct 21, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #15,187 of 19,145
I cracked open the subwoofer cabinet and it was just a straight piece of rather beefy wire going from the input to the output.  No high pass filter involved.  There is a low pass filtler built into the subwoofer amp, though.  I'm using Polk 10" subs, one per side, which are fairly simplistic devices.

That's cool,but it's a rare exception, not the rule. Subs almost always have high pass filters for the speakers.

Yeah i didnt' want to do that either.  My sub is bedside (i'm a basshead :wink: ) and my desktop is about 10ft away, I don't want to many wires running everywhere.

Can I use speaker B for the sub and have speaker taps for my headphones?  This way I'll just turn off the sub when i'm using headphones.

Meaning the headphones will be in speakers A, and no other speakers connected? Or you want speakers, sub, and headphones?

Oct 21, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #15,190 of 19,145

Exactly how I run my sub on the SX-1050 for my TV system. 

Oct 21, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #15,193 of 19,145
Oh wow... Pioneer SA-9100 into JVC HA-DX2000 is heavenly. I'm not even using a DAC between my Galaxy S5 and the amplifier.

You're really going to love it when you kick up the input quality !  Bet the bass is incredible! 

Oct 24, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #15,195 of 19,145
Just wanted to give an update on the Kenny 9100.  This old thing is fantastic.  Made my desktop speakers sound much better.  More dynamic, imaging is stellar, and great stage depth.

For headphones, i love it.  Its warm, takes out some of the harshness, really dynamic, and really engaging now.  The lyr-2 is good, but the vintage amps are just so much better.  Only complaint is the bass tone.  If you add to much you really muddy up the joint, but that just nitpicking.  Now its time to look for the matching graphic eq for this thing and a TT

also, can't wait for my trs jack to come in so I can see whats it like straight from the tap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back