Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Oct 20, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #15,166 of 19,145

right now, i'm gonna use my pc with either streaming or cd, going into a idsd.

Planning to get a turn table, but need to do more research and reading before I decide on one.

Yeah, I'm happy with the purchase.  the guy was helping his dad sell off his collect of audio equipment.  The Salks that he had hooked up to the Kenny was brand new.  He said his dad bought them, burned them in for a week, then put them back in the box because he didn't like the sound sig 
rolleyes.gif
....people with to much money.  Might go back for more of his goodies 
wink.gif

So coming out of your PC..............got a USB DAC yet? 

Oct 20, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #15,168 of 19,145
Oct 20, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #15,169 of 19,145
Has anyone mentioned a SAE A14 Integrated amp yet? I still have mine but not with me here. Its on the other side of the world in Mexico. I love that amp 120 wpc and I used it for pushing a set of Bose 601 series II's. I would like to hear the Grado's on it. Purchased it in early early 80's when what I really wanted was there Preamp and Amp set up that was available then ( A501 Amp/ 2100 pre amp) but they were out of my price range. I was just a teenager then.
redface.gif

Oct 20, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #15,170 of 19,145
Ok, so i tested all the switches and buttons on the ka-9100 when i was testing it out at the original owner's home, and nothing was "off".  So when I got home i didn't open the amp to do a cleaning before using it.  Now that i'm messing with it some more, I'm finding some things.  

1.when plugged into the headphone jack, the speakers won't switch off.  its like the relay isn't working.  into order for the speakers to go off I would need to switch the speaker selection.  I don't think the original owner ever plugged in headphones so i don't think he knew this.

2. when i'm messing with the hpf button sometimes the right side speaker would cut off when the button is engaged.  it only happens on occasions.  

I know the filter buttons are probably dirty, but what about the headphone speaker situation?

ps.  LCD-2 is sounding pretty awsome straight from headphone jack, he-500 sounds good but not the best, yet.

Oct 20, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #15,171 of 19,145
  Has anyone mentioned a SAE A14 Integrated amp yet? I still have mine but not with me here. Its on the other side of the world in Mexico. I love that amp 120 wpc and I used it for pushing a set of Bose 601 series II's. I would like to hear the Grado's on it. Purchased it in early early 80's when what I really wanted was there Preamp and Amp set up that was available then ( A501 Amp/ 2100 pre amp) but they were out of my price range. I was just a teenager then.
redface.gif

I had an SAE 2400L for a while.  Very powerful but a little harsh sounding.

Oct 20, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #15,172 of 19,145

1.when plugged into the headphone jack, the speakers won't switch off.  its like the relay isn't working.  into order for the speakers to go off I would need to switch the speaker selection.  I don't think the original owner ever plugged in headphones so i don't think he knew this.

I know the filter buttons are probably dirty, but what about the headphone speaker situation?

That is likely how the headphone should function.
You can use speakers and headphones together unless you turn off the speakers.
My Pioneer SA-7100 works like that...

Oct 20, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #15,173 of 19,145
  Ok, so i tested all the switches and buttons on the ka-9100 when i was testing it out at the original owner's home, and nothing was "off".  So when I got home i didn't open the amp to do a cleaning before using it.  Now that i'm messing with it some more, I'm finding some things.  

2. when i'm messing with the hpf button sometimes the right side speaker would cut off when the button is engaged.  it only happens on occasions.  

ps.  LCD-2 is sounding pretty awsome straight from headphone jack, he-500 sounds good but not the best, yet.

Like parbaked said, it's how vintage headphone jacks work - you have to turn off the speakers to go headphone only.  Newer, opamp based AV receivers have the relay you are referencing.

The HE-500 is begging for a speaker tap connection................trust me on that.  I have my HE-400 run direct to the taps and did it that way with the HE-6.  Mind boggling how much better they will sound to you. 

Oct 20, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #15,174 of 19,145
  That is likely how the headphone should function.
You can use speakers and headphones together unless you turn off the speakers.
My Pioneer SA-7100 works like that...

Ok, I thought it was like modern receivers that have a relay to shut off the speakers when the headphone jack is used.

ok another thing, i wanted to add a power sub.  What I understand, since i have a pre-out.  I need to split the pre-out and loop the rca back into the power in and with the other wires going to my sub?

edit: why would I need to loop it?  I read the directions to add a sub but don't know why the need for the loop.

Oct 20, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #15,175 of 19,145

I had an SAE 2400L for a while.  Very powerful but a little harsh sounding.

I almost purchased this model on EBay once. I loved that it had forced air cooling on the amplifier. Same power rating as the A501. I actually was collecting SAE items recently but now that I'm in KSA I'm resorting to just relaxing and listening to music in my spare time. Shipping to Saudi is difficult else I would continue my quest for vintage pieces.

Oct 20, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #15,176 of 19,145

I almost purchased this model on EBay once. I loved that it had forced air cooling on the amplifier. Same power rating as the A501. I actually was collecting SAE items recently but now that I'm in KSA I'm resorting to just relaxing and listening to music in my spare time. Shipping to Saudi is difficult else I would continue my quest for vintage pieces.

The SAE was part of a very nice dorm room system.  We coupled my SAE 2400L with my roomies DB Systems DB1A preamp and his Qual ESLs and off we went.  Listening bliss!

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #15,177 of 19,145
it's a thorens td125 mkii. the guy said its been serviced and he didn't even assemble it yet. it also comes with a new plinth. he wants 800 for it. it's kind of out of budget but if it's worth it I'll try to get a deal since I'm getting both.

Sorry I didn't get back you to sooner, but that Thorens is a nice turntable. Check around to see what they're going for. If its in great shape, that might not be a terrible deal

Oct 20, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #15,178 of 19,145
Ok, I thought it was like modern receivers that have a relay to shut off the speakers when the headphone jack is used.

ok another thing, i wanted to add a power sub.  What I understand, since i have a pre-out.  I need to split the pre-out and loop the rca back into the power in and with the other wires going to my sub?

edit: why would I need to loop it?  I read the directions to add a sub but don't know why the need for the loop.

You might not. Try it. It just depends how the 9100 works. From looking at the back panel, it looks like the pre out may not be active unless you move that switch to "separate", and if you do that, you have to have something to feed the power amp in jacks or you won't get sound from the speakers.

Oct 20, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #15,179 of 19,145

Like parbaked said, it's how vintage headphone jacks work - you have to turn off the speakers to go headphone only.  Newer, opamp based AV receivers have the relay you are referencing.

The HE-500 is begging for a speaker tap connection................trust me on that.  I have my HE-400 run direct to the taps and did it that way with the HE-6.  Mind boggling how much better they will sound to you. 

i confirm that about he 400 ...thanks to 
atsmile.gif
Oregonian

Oct 21, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #15,180 of 19,145
`

You might not. Try it. It just depends how the 9100 works. From looking at the back panel, it looks like the pre out may not be active unless you move that switch to "separate", and if you do that, you have to have something to feed the power amp in jacks or you won't get sound from the speakers.

I'm guessing that the pre-amp output is available regardless of the position of the switch, and it is the power amp input that is switched.  If that's not the case you would need:

two splitters, each consisting of a single male RCA to two male RCA,
a female to female coupler so you can connect the subwoofer amp

The single male RCA goes to the preamp out, and one leg of the splitter goes to the power amp in on the Pioneer, the other goes through the coupler to your subwoofer amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back