Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Oct 26, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #15,211 of 19,145
Definitely check out the Golden Ears. I was looking for the same thing as you. I'd say they are on the warmer side of neutral, very non fatiguing with a very good soundstage. They also imaged very well. I'm just afraid when I get them home they won't sound as good as my dahlquists. Problem is my chill room is only 10x12 and that's way to small for them. When I had them in a 7.1 system, all the other speakers made up for it, but in 2 channel, the bass is boomy and I'm sitting too close for everything to come together. When I bought them years ago they were in a much bigger room and were sublime

Oct 26, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #15,212 of 19,145
I've heard the Nautilus 800's, awesome speakers man

If i had a set of 800's I think I would like them best too :wink:

Wait.. so you have a basement rig, an attic rig, and I bet the 800's are in the main listening room...

Yup, although the "main listening room" is my family room, and its heavily used by my teenage son. Which is totally cool. I have lost of places to hang out and listen to music :D

Oct 26, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #15,213 of 19,145
The only part about the Golden Ears I didn't like is how they look. They have a grill sock like definitive technology speakers, the guy who founded Def Tech also founded Golden Ear,so go figure. I like wood, but the most important thing is how they sound, so screw it...

Oct 26, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #15,214 of 19,145
The only part about the Golden Ears I didn't like is how they look. They have a grill sock like definitive technology speakers, the guy who founded Def Tech also founded Golden Ear,so go figure. I like wood, but the most important thing is how they sound, so screw it...

Looking at the towers, they do have that def tec look to them.  I never use grills cause I like the raw driver look, but ya, sound is the moooost important...
biggrin.gif

Oct 26, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #15,216 of 19,145
I recently heard a car setup with some focal  upotia's and they sound great.  though this car was tuned beautifully (70% of making a car sound good) for SQ competition, its still sounded bright to me.  A lot of people say that focals are a tad bright in general.  I'm going to audition some home speakers to see if this hold true for their home audio line.  I'm already expecting the same thing since they probably use the same drivers.

Oct 27, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #15,219 of 19,145
.....uuhhgg, the left channel just died on the my Kenny 9100.  I turned everything on, let stuff warm up for a couple minutes, plugged in headphones, pressed play and left channel had no sound.  At first I thought it was my lcd's but then I directly plugged them into the idsd headphone out and there was sound from both drivers.  Plugged it back in the 9100, nothing.  Checked all connections, and used only my desktop speakers, samething.  The channel not working......

I think I know what happened.  I used one of the speaker B for my sub and last night I saw that the left vu meter was moving when everything was off.  I unplugged my sub and the meter dropped.  I guess this was happening ever since i hooked up the sub but didn't notice it till last night.  I guess it was to late.  I think the amp from the sub was sending power back to the left channel and fried something.  I'm gonna take it apart to take a look....  

Oct 27, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #15,220 of 19,145
Do you have a multimeter ? If so, you should check for DC offset.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/amplifier-distortion-dc-offset-and-you.5634/

Oct 27, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #15,221 of 19,145
Right...I tried them outside but in spite of how the room may look from the pic that meant they were too far to the outside and there was no stable center image. The listening position isn't as far back as I would like but not much I can do about the foundation wall
biggrin.gif

I'm 49 years old and have been at this a while...

I'm 63, and when you were 10 years old I was working in a stereo store selling all that Pioneer equipment you've amassed there (and buying a lot of it myself at wholesale).

Oct 27, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #15,222 of 19,145
  .....uuhhgg, the left channel just died on the my Kenny 9100.  I turned everything on, let stuff warm up for a couple minutes, plugged in headphones, pressed play and left channel had no sound.  At first I thought it was my lcd's but then I directly plugged them into the idsd headphone out and there was sound from both drivers.  Plugged it back in the 9100, nothing.  Checked all connections, and used only my desktop speakers, samething.  The channel not working......

I think I know what happened.  I used one of the speaker B for my sub and last night I saw that the left vu meter was moving when everything was off.  I unplugged my sub and the meter dropped.  I guess this was happening ever since i hooked up the sub but didn't notice it till last night.  I guess it was to late.  I think the amp from the sub was sending power back to the left channel and fried something.  I'm gonna take it apart to take a look....  

Dumb question...did you check the fuses?  Pop the cover and look around for any internal fuses as well.

I've got a bunch of vintage stuff and the one thing I've learned is that with equipment that old you can't always count on it to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back