Buyer's Remorse: Headphones and earphones you bought on impulse and regretted.
Mar 28, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #286 of 336

I'm sorry that you didn't like them, but any review based on initial impressions is only just that - impressions. 80% (maybe 90%) of burn-in is simply adjusting to the different sound- which is why the K701 is especially notorious- not because the sound physically changes all that much, but because it generally takes a longer time to get used to it. Just my two cents. YMMV

That is definitely true; I'm not going to taint anyone's opinion of them if they find it pleasurable. Just really disappointed that they didn't sound any better than most of my other cans.

Mar 28, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #287 of 336
I regret two purchases but will still keep them.

Vsonic Gr07 mkII - These are without a doubt very good for their price range. However, the soundstage depth just isn't there, too analytical for my taste for the music I listen to, and just a little on the bass-light side. I even reverted back to my cheap SoundMAGIC E10s because they sound fun and are still pretty good for the price.

Meelectronics EDM Universe - Straight up, I thought they sounded like **** or maybe these are supposed to be good for their price of $50. Muddy and emphasized bass, recessed mids, very siblant treble, small soundstage, bleh.

Mar 28, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #288 of 336
  I regret two purchases but will still keep them.

Vsonic Gr07 mkII - These are without a doubt very good for their price range. However, the soundstage depth just isn't there, too analytical for my taste for the music I listen to, and just a little on the bass-light side. I even reverted back to my cheap SoundMAGIC E10s because they sound fun and are still pretty good for the price.

Meelectronics EDM Universe - Straight up, I thought they sounded like **** or maybe these are supposed to be good for their price of $50. Muddy and emphasized bass, recessed mids, very siblant treble, small soundstage, bleh.

With a name like Meelectronics EDM Universe, how can you possibly go wrong?!

Mar 28, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #289 of 336
Sennheiser CX300, aka BOOM BOOM BOOM, paid about twice the price in the US since local selection is so laughably bad; should have researched more and waited until someone could bring something decent over. Never use them.

Mar 28, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #290 of 336
Marley Revolution:

They seemed to have decent reviews across the board, and even here they had some positive feedback. I picked them up on sale, and realize now they still cost way to much....I got my UE 6000 for less :/ Out of the box they sounded good. Nice punchy bass, decent mids and highs. Over time, they have become unbearable...mud mud and more mud, plus horribly recessed everything else. Not sure what happened.

Also, while they are all aluminum, minus the headband, and are sturdy, the 'nuts' used to hold the earcups on are made of horribly cheap and flawed plastic. All four snapped in half (air bubbles in the mold, so they were basically hollow...go figure). Easy fix, but a stupid problem to have. They look and feel great, but mud smeared in your earlobe sounds better. Finally, I have a thin noggin, and they squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze the XXXX out of my head. I've had them for almost two years, and they are just barely acceptable....for 20 mins or so. 

I severely regret buying them, but I do have a soft spot for them....or maybe thats just the section of my skull they damaged...I don't know.

While not headphones, the Klipsch Image s3 IEMs:

"Klipsch makes good stuff, and these are 50% off. Oh snap!" They look cheap, feel cheap, and you spend more time listening to the cable bounce around than the tinny sounds coming out of them. Absolute crap. Luckily I opened the box in a very stealthy way, and was able to repackage and return them (Future Shop no longer allows the return of opened headphones/IEMs). Worst 35 CAD I've ever spent...

Mar 28, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #291 of 336
  I was just at a loss for words as to how dead they were, despite running off my Marantz.

My friend used the same term to describe them. Thing is, that is by no means a flaw. It means they're transparent. They're dead because they don't impart anything to the sound, it's just music. Very few headphones do this. 

There are two types of audiophiles, people who listen to their gear and/or money and people who listen to their music. Since you didn't like them, I think it's obvious what kind of listener you are. Not saying that's a bad thing, mind you. I can listen either way depending on what headphones I use and I get equal amounts of enjoyment from both.

Mar 28, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #292 of 336
THESE: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005Y04T26/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Man were they uncomfortable. The sound was so metallic, even after 100+ hrs. of burn in. Thanks amazon for the return. O-the packaging was nice....but, who cares.

Mar 28, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #293 of 336

While not headphones, the Klipsch Image s3 IEMs:

"Klipsch makes good stuff, and these are 50% off. Oh snap!" They look cheap, feel cheap, and you spend more time listening to the cable bounce around than the tinny sounds coming out of them. Absolute crap. Luckily I opened the box in a very stealthy way, and was able to repackage and return them (Future Shop no longer allows the return of opened headphones/IEMs). Worst 35 CAD I've ever spent...

Had similar experience with the S4.  Cables were noisy.  Not too long after owning them they would come apart, and now the jack is messed up.

Mar 28, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #294 of 336
They say that an expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field. Def not an expert yet but a few bad apples have passed me by.
I've had a few vintage cans over the years that more belonged in the junk yard than on my head, but my expectations were so low so they weren't much of a disappointment so doesn't count.

Denon D5000 was a big disappointments. Gorgeous looking but that harsh etchy treble really killed me in the end. Really tried to like those.
Same thing with T1 and DT990 but add a bit of a studio dryness on top of that. However both could be great sounding using tubes and EQ. The T1 just don't cut it compared to the HD800 and the HD800 was a bit of a disappointment at first before I found the right amp and the right EQ setting.

The UE6000 was a really boring and dull sounding phone. It couldn't make music sound engaging one bit. Not the worst headphone I've owned in that category or price but had expectations it would sound a lot better after hearing people raving about them. These are the only headphones I've returned to the store.

The RE262 was also rather dull sounding with it midcentric qualities. Bad ergonomics, horrible vacuum suction and bad build. I have no idea how ljokerl could give them such a high score for build! They where basically screaming made in China all over them. Sold them very quickly.

Out of curiosity I got the Koss Pro DJ100. What is tdockweiler smoking? He and I don't have the same preferences...At least they have a good construction for the price.

Many more on the list but these will do for now.

Mar 28, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #295 of 336
sony mdr zx100, I bought them to use with youtube etc. but the lack of padding on the headband was a deal breaker, very uncomfortable

shure se215, I bought them to use while drumming, but they're really awkward to put on and after a while they slightly dislodge and lose their seal so I spend the next 2 hours constantly pushing them back into my ear, very inconvenient

Mar 31, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #297 of 336
NAD VISO HP50. Bought them for the sky-high price of US$400 (GBP249) as soon as they came out. Hated their fit and sold them on for a pitiful $250 + shipping later on.

Mar 31, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #298 of 336
My list:

XB920 - bought it cheap from another Head-Fi'er for $60 or so. Not even worth that, waaaay too much bass.
K172HD - the opposite here. Absolutely zero bass.
K601 - These aren't bad by any means, but these have much forward mids than the K701 - and as a result exaggerate the "plasticky" sound the K701 is known for. Also, people told me the K601 had more bass. I did direct comparisons and this was not the case. The K701 hit harder, tighter, and deeper. The K601 has a thicker mid-range that bleeds into the lows, which probably made it seem like it had better bass response.
Ultrasone Edition 8 - Too sibilant. Could not enjoy them one bit.
HE-500 - Not comfortable. Too heavy. Strained my neck after several hours, and within a week of use I had a very sore and stiff neck. Too bad the sound is pretty good.
HD700 - The peaky treble seriously injured my ears before I realized how much damage they were doing. Still suffering from tinnitus that I developed from a month of using these, almost a year later. It's not that the sound is sibilant- you don't even notice until you're reeling in pain.

Mar 31, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #299 of 336
Beyerdynamics DT440 Premium

Purchased these in Used but "Very Good" condition from Amazon.  Cosmetically, they were perfect but they sounded awful.  At first, I thought there was something wrong with my system but nope, it was the headphones.  They were like a piece of string between two tin cans.  Also, the DT440 was the biggest set of headphones I have ever put on.  Even on the smallest setting, they completely swallowed my entire head.

Thank goodness for Amazon's no hassle return policy.  Back to Amazon they went.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back