Buyer's Remorse: Headphones and earphones you bought on impulse and regretted.
Nov 2, 2006 at 7:36 AM Post #181 of 336
HD650. A disasterous experience receiving an empty box from JR --what a mess getting that sorted out. Then I wound up really being underwhelmed by these things. Veil is right--that is NO JOKE.

You really have to build your whole rig around HD650, piecing every component together with utmost caution to (and with no regard to cost) to get anything out of these. I thought a Headfive would suffice and I couldn't have been more wrong. I just don't have the time or money to figure out how to get those phones to realize their potential. You'll get no argument from me that they're great if you're committed (and wealthy) though.

And HD201s, if you can really regret a $20 purchase. HD201 is the worst headphones I've ever owned--terrible Sonys and consumer-line Koss headphones included.

Nov 2, 2006 at 8:27 AM Post #182 of 336
CD-3000s. Glad they are gone. Personally, I never understood how anyone could use them at all without exterme EQ adjustments. Oh well, I love my HD-650s. E2c are just fine to me for music on the go.

Nov 2, 2006 at 9:43 AM Post #183 of 336
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
The PX-200. Awful, and my ears weren't even very trained back then.
tongue.gif
What a cloudy mess, I thought it would go away after 100 hours, but it never did.

Totally the same for me. Awful PX200. Awful. Period.

Dec 1, 2006 at 2:48 PM Post #186 of 336
Quote:

Originally Posted by stefancolson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ultrasone Proline 2500. They sounded like someone took a BROKEN pair of the cheapest headphone Grado makes, fed them so much signal that they were or the verge of blowing up, then shoved them down my throat and started punching me in the face. The fact that they cost more than $300 was an extra little kick in the balls to boot. Hands down the worst sounding piece of audio gear I've ever heard. Period. Complete garbage. Show me a man (or woman) that likes his Ultrasone Proline 2500s, and I'll show you a man who has ears made of lead.

Why didn't you audition them first?

Dec 1, 2006 at 6:18 PM Post #187 of 336
1-Etys ER-4P after trying them for three months I did not get used to their sound, so I sold them on Ebay and I lost like 150.00 dlls.

2-K701 after 240 hrs I simply did not find anything amazing, I liked the HD595 better. I think there was no synergy with my system (DVD player + DAC1 + HR2). So I return them to “SAM ASH” and they charged me a 15% return fee of the total. Thank God I bought them with Amex. They have a return policy so this time I lost some time but no money.

Dec 1, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #189 of 336
have to join in here. dt231. well, didn't buy them... stopped last minute.

then tried them out at a (new) friend's house 3 hours later. big big BIG disappointment. it ate my soundstage!

Dec 1, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #190 of 336
OII..

could not afford the first pair I got (old style years back), and sold them.

When I had the clams to rebuy a pair again a few years back, I got a new style OII...and liked them, but opted for a K1K at the time..

My how things change..

Dec 1, 2006 at 8:11 PM Post #191 of 336
...Koss the plug... bought them to fill the gap when my E3c's where under repair... -> annoying fit .. and worse sound

Dec 1, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #192 of 336
Aside from the plethora of crappy $20-$30 Sonys I kept going through before being introduced to HeadRoom, I also wound up with a supremely uncomfortable (though sturdy) pair of Denon AH-D350's that cost me about $70 back in 2000, and some $100 or so Advent(?) wireless headphones that were absolute garbage.

As far as earphones that are considered good that I regretted, there's only the Etymotics ER6. They're wonderfully detailed, and exposed elements of my music I hadn't noticed before, but they're just too bright for me, and the bass is so weak that I wound up sucking it up and dropping the money on some Future Sonics EM3's that a friend recommended to me. The EM3's I use daily and never regretted the purchase.

I'll probably use the ER6 to burn in the Tomahawk when I get it. We'll see if they're tolerable with an amp after a couple hundred hours of burn in. I won't hold my breath, though.

I will say that I loved my Beyerdynamics DT250-80's since the day I got them, but I just don't get to use them as much as I'd like. Great for my desk at home, though, when IEMs would be too inconvenient.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 1, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #194 of 336
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AKG K26P. After my SportaPros broke i was really excited when i saw Headrooms "review" of them to be great cans for rock, and ordered one. My greatest dissapointment in headphones. All bass, phony mids, rolled off highs.

Yuck. The k26p's were my biggest dissapointment after reading quite a few reviews that indicated they were great. None of those reviewers mentioned that they have bloated bass that drowns everything else, and that they're dark as hell...

Dec 1, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #195 of 336
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CD-3000s. Glad they are gone. Personally, I never understood how anyone could use them at all without exterme EQ adjustments. Oh well, I love my HD-650s. E2c are just fine to me for music on the go.

ditto. i bought an EQ just for that stupid can. traded the can away, EQ is rotting in Delaware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back