Burson Conductor - DAC/amp successor to the HA-160D
Nov 28, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #1,261 of 1,995
Listened to the Burson in a hifi store nearby, with the Hd800 and he-500 :) Sounded really nice, not too harsh.
If it were balanced I would deffo get one!

Dec 1, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #1,263 of 1,995
Hey all, looking for a little advice.  I'm trying to decide between the Burson Conductor, and a pairing of the Burson Soloist with the Schiit Gungnir.  I want to drive a pair of T5ps, Mr. Speaker Mad Dogs, and eventually (hopefully) a pair of LCD-3s.  I like the sound of the Sololist with the Bifrost Uber, but I want to use that DAC elsewhere and trying to figure out what to replace it with.  Thanks! 

Dec 1, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #1,264 of 1,995
  Hey all, looking for a little advice.  I'm trying to decide between the Burson Conductor, and a pairing of the Burson Soloist with the Schiit Gungnir.  I want to drive a pair of T5ps, Mr. Speaker Mad Dogs, and eventually (hopefully) a pair of LCD-3s.  I like the sound of the Sololist with the Bifrost Uber, but I want to use that DAC elsewhere and trying to figure out what to replace it with.  Thanks! 

From all the DACs that are out there, Gungnir isn't necessarily the best to go for at that price range. A bit too digital gritty.
Try to stretch to a NAD M51 if you can or get the Conductor and their new USB card or an aftermarket USB interface.

I've also read good things about the Audiolab MDAC, but I have heard it only  too briefly to give better comments on it.

Dec 1, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #1,265 of 1,995
Thanks for the thoughts negura.  The M51 looks really impressive but is outside my price range right now.  As for the MDAC, some people seem to prefer it to the Gungnir, and some the other way around.  Obviously, at this level it comes down a lot to personal preference.  I know I like the Bifrost in the Soloist - so presumably I like the Schiit sound. 

Can you explain a bit more what you mean by digital gritty?  How would you compare it to the DAC built into the Conductor? The fact that there are so many DACs to choose from has me leaning away from the Conductor just because there's added flexibility in having separate components. 

Any other opinions? 

Dec 1, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #1,266 of 1,995
  Thanks for the thoughts negura.  The M51 looks really impressive but is outside my price range right now.  As for the MDAC, some people seem to prefer it to the Gungnir, and some the other way around.  Obviously, at this level it comes down a lot to personal preference.  I know I like the Bifrost in the Soloist - so presumably I like the Schiit sound. 

Can you explain a bit more what you mean by digital gritty?  How would you compare it to the DAC built into the Conductor? The fact that there are so many DACs to choose from has me leaning away from the Conductor just because there's added flexibility in having separate components. 

Any other opinions? 

It's exactly that. Not the most refined in the treble. That said it's hard to get treble that is at once detailed, airy, sparkly and refined and harmless. It usually involves more bucks. The Conductor is a bit better. It's also to do with preference and also the headphones you are pairing. Some headphones benefit more treble fizz. Like the LCD-2s. The LCD-3s you seem to be aiming for, less so. And the LCD-X even less from what I read. Did not hear those yet.

With the Conductor you trade flexibility for better price for similar SQ (you are also saving on interconnects, power cables etc).

Dec 1, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #1,267 of 1,995
Thanks, I think I'm getting the picture.  Out of curiousity, have you heard the Bifrost(uber)?  Would you say it has the same digital grit? 

I think my big question is where in the greater scheme of DACs would you put the one built into the Conductor?  You mentioned 'similar SQ' - similar to what?  What external DAC would you say it matches up with in terms of SQ? 

Dec 2, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #1,268 of 1,995
I've been testing the DAC and preamp capabilities of my Conductor lately (using a Halide Bridge interface) and I have to say it's a pretty good DAC. I've owned the HRT Music Streamer, the Schiit Bifrost (not Über), and the Violectric V800 in the past. I'd say the Vio and the Conductor's DAC are around even but it's quite a step up from the HRT and the Bifrost. I actually preferred the more analogue sounding HRT to the Bifrost. The Halide Bridge does wonders for the Conductor. I've contradicted myself on this many times here, but have finally come to the conclusion that a good interface is nigh on essential. The Conductor's stock USB implementation is ****.

Dec 2, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #1,269 of 1,995
I've been testing the DAC and preamp capabilities of my Conductor lately (using a Halide Bridge interface) and I have to say it's a pretty good DAC. I've owned the HRT Music Streamer, the Schiit Bifrost (not Über), and the Violectric V800 in the past. I'd say the Vio and the Conductor's DAC are around even but it's quite a step up from the HRT and the Bifrost. I actually preferred the more analogue sounding HRT to the Bifrost. The Halide Bridge does wonders for the Conductor. I've contradicted myself on this many times here, but have finally come to the conclusion that a good interface is nigh on essential. The Conductor's stock USB implementation is ****.

If anyone wondered what the equivalent of valves for a solid state DAC is:
Welcome to interface rolling. :)

But I agree.

Next imo: Power solutions. 

Dec 2, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #1,270 of 1,995
If anyone wondered what the equivalent of valves for a solid state DAC is:
Welcome to interface rolling. :)

But I agree.

Next imo: Power solutions. 

Lol. Interface rolling is addictive. I'm thinking about trying the Audiobyte Hydra-X next. The Halide Bridge is great but it down samples 24/192 files to 24/96, which is the best it can handle. I think I'll treat myself to some new closed-back headphones first though.

Just out of curiosity, Raz, which power cable did you use with the Conductor? I'm not getting into power regenerators just yet, but I would like a cable which locks into the Conductor firmly.

Dec 2, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #1,271 of 1,995
Lol. Interface rolling is addictive. I'm thinking about trying the Audiobyte Hydra-X next. The Halide Bridge is great but it down samples 24/192 files to 24/96, which is the best it can handle. I think I'll treat myself to some new closed-back headphones first though.

Just out of curiosity, Raz, which power cable did you use with the Conductor? I'm not getting into power regenerators just yet, but I would like a cable which locks into the Conductor firmly.

There are cables with a locking system on the IEC. I only have a cheap one like that, that I do not really use for audio. I will see what I can find and update with any other links. I actually need to get more powah cables myself. :) 

Like so (but these are not audiophile quality I don't think so): http://www.cablenet.co.uk/catalogue/power-leads-iec-lock.htm

Dec 2, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #1,272 of 1,995
Dec 3, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #1,273 of 1,995
I haven't had any dropouts with 96 kHz samplerate.      But my conductor sometimes doesn't work at all.  It doesn't get recognized by computer.   
frown.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/693215/intermittent-burson-conductor-usb-problem

Dec 3, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #1,275 of 1,995
  It is possible to connect macbook and conductor via optical toslink cable.   It should work better than usb !

Of course it is, no hassle, no drivers needed just Plug & Play. One disadvantage, optical output of a MBP/iMac is limited to 24/96 so all above that will be automatically downsampled.
In terms of sound quality I prefer USB or Coax digital output over the optical, through the Toslink sound becomes softened and a little bit blurry but these differences are minor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back