Burson Conductor - DAC/amp successor to the HA-160D
Dec 3, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #1,276 of 1,995
  Instead of buying a cable this time I will make one from parts.

If anyone wondered what the equivalent of valves for a solid state DAC is:
Welcome to interface rolling. :)

But I agree.

Next imo: Power solutions. 

My DIY power cord with RFI/EMI POWER LINE FILTER.
Still under construction waiting for better enclosure to arrive but is fully functional and working just as I expected. It is not my first passive filter I've made I have made much more in my past and some of them still going well in my friends audio system after all years, but that was when I worked for electronic repair company had access to parts, equipment etc This time I went shortcuts and used finished product from CORCOM Q Series filters developed specifically for switching power supplies (typically switching at 200kHz to 1MHz) and is designed to filter the power line to control conducted emissions all the way down to 10 kHz. Similar characteristic filters i used in past to build some power line filters and works best with the digital sources. Very low leakage current even at max load 5A/250V there is no degradation of performance due to the large peak currents drawn but that was the reason to use it over-sized couple of time.
wink.gif

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #1,277 of 1,995
Nice work Wall-E. Looks very cool :)
I wish I had the brains to make stuff like that.

I've been very happy with the 6x Sillycone filter made by Blue Circle.
DIY cables have been a lot of fun to make and great bang for the buck. I've been very happy with the power cables i made using solid-core UPOCC.

But I always manage to make the simplistic of jobs impossibly difficult. My latest endeavor has left me without music for two weeks... :-/

Dec 4, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #1,278 of 1,995
Nice work Wall-E. Looks very cool :)
I wish I had the brains to make stuff like that.

I've been very happy with the 6x Sillycone filter made by Blue Circle.
DIY cables have been a lot of fun to make and great bang for the buck. I've been very happy with the power cables i made using solid-core UPOCC.

But I always manage to make the simplistic of jobs impossibly difficult. My latest endeavor has left me without music for two weeks... :-/

Thanks,
So am I.
wink.gif
The Sillycone they are a parallel filters and very interesting can be used with any equipment without any drawbacks in power restriction, my one is common model, series filter so is best designed for a constant load (current) like computers or CD player's, DAC's, head amps, preamps but most power amplifier are unfortunately not! The current drawn from wall outlets through the series filter to the power amplifier is impulsive as long as the filtering impedance is in series the response time from the AC line will be slowed and limited and audible result, could be compressed or limited dynamic range or overall dull.
But the series filter offers better RFI/EMI filtering, differential-mode ( when the two power line
wires have noise) and common-mode (when the noise voltages are in-phase with one another) The power line noise can come from a number of sources, especially as I wanted one to be minimized, the noise from the switching power supply surrounding us everywhere, computers, laptops, TV's, phone chargers almost all equipment using switching power supply now. As I know removing the spectrum of noise improved the sound and picture quality of my system and should do to any digital source.

Dec 8, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #1,279 of 1,995

That's really awesome DIY work.
Today I made a simple mains cable between my power regen and speaker amplifier (requirement was for male IEC to female IEC). On first listen - a major sound improvement: the soundstage exploded and there's a much quieter background. Better details and instrument separation. I will buy the same parts for another cable I think.

Parts used:
ieGO Pure Silver IEC
Silver Plated male IEC
Acrolink 7N-P4030II 7N OCC

Dec 9, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #1,280 of 1,995

That's really awesome DIY work.
Today I made a simple mains cable between my power regen and speaker amplifier (requirement was for male IEC to female IEC). On first listen - a major sound improvement: the soundstage exploded and there's a much quieter background. Better details and instrument separation. I will buy the same parts for another cable I think.

Parts used:
ieGO Pure Silver IEC
Silver Plated male IEC
Acrolink 7N-P4030II 7N OCC

Nice DIY cord negura!
I am not surprised your sound improvement after the simple cord upgrade "the audio system is no better than its weakest link" and in your case, this is more then reasonable to use better mains cable, pure sine wave regenerators are the most advanced and maybe the most efficient power source for audio use, even short piece of poor quality mains cable can become as a long antenna, picking up RFI noise, add this to the already cleaned voltage.

I didn't try the AC Regenerator yet the multi $$$ power equipment was beyond my reach but I would like one of those AG500 or AG1500 especially at the relatively low £499 price tag compared to the $$$ PS Audio Power Plant AC Regenerators.

Not all UPS or ac regenerators are suitable for powering audio equipment, many of them generate a squarewave or not very accurate sinewave, as an example can be my APC Back-UPS which works properly with my iMac computer but when APC Back-UPS powering my Burson Conductor is an "audio disaster" sound is worse in every aspect and there is no drawbacks in power restriction, the problem is the squarewave or poor implementation of the sinewave, computers don't care but audio equipment does.

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #1,281 of 1,995
I am a iMac OS X Mavericks user.  After installed CM6631A USB Module, my iTunes only work with sample rates 48K/96K/192KHz.  That's to say With iTune certain sample rate there is no output (44.1K/88.2K/176.4KHz). I wonder whether iMac OS X Mavericks users using CM6631A USB Module workable with all sample rates or not. Any Mavericks users have same experience as me?

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #1,282 of 1,995
  I am a iMac OS X Mavericks user.  After installed CM6631A USB Module, my iTunes only work with sample rates 48K/96K/192KHz.  That's to say With iTune certain sample rate there is no output (44.1K/88.2K/176.4KHz). I wonder whether iMac OS X Mavericks users using CM6631A USB Module workable with all sample rates or not. Any Mavericks users have same experience as me?

i run windows Vista and i to dont have does sample rates either just to load driver i had to run program in xp compatibility mode or else i could not install  driver 

Dec 10, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #1,283 of 1,995

Hi hyde,
Me too and everything is working fine, no missing sample rates. Could be your iTunes setting? I don't know, not sure but  iTunes can't automatically load higher sample rate have to be do this manually I use the Audirvana with iTunes integrated mode so I really bypass completely iTunes own playback and use only for play list.

Dec 16, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #1,285 of 1,995
No missing sample rates here - through C-Media board with Mavericks and Audirvana (in playlist mode - don't use iTunes).

I am still getting connection drop-outs on occasion. I think the computer should be turned on first? I think connection drops if I let my computer sleep while Conductor is on... So should be able to manage it...

I suffered withdrawals for a couple weeks waiting for a power switch for my amp. It is SO good to have music again. So haven't clocked up many hours with the new board. It sounded sweet right out of the box.

But was curious if anyone noticed any burn in with the C-Media board?

Dec 16, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #1,286 of 1,995
No missing sample rates here - through C-Media board with Mavericks and Audirvana (in playlist mode - don't use iTunes).

I am still getting connection drop-outs on occasion. I think the computer should be turned on first? I think connection drops if I let my computer sleep while Conductor is on... So should be able to manage it...

I suffered withdrawals for a couple weeks waiting for a power switch for my amp. It is SO good to have music again. So haven't clocked up many hours with the new board. It sounded sweet right out of the box.

But was curious if anyone noticed any burn in with the C-Media board?

What happened to your power switch?

Dec 16, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #1,287 of 1,995
[COLOR=FF00AA][/COLOR]The rocker switch on the old Burson PA -100 amp went all crookered on me (like the same one on the old pre-amp). The replacement didn't fit. There was a mix up in the post with the next one... So had to run across town to get one.... That also didn't fit... I would like to say I got a little creative.. but it's pretty darn mess!. Not exactly doing the resale value any favours... I do much prefer the look and feel of the toggle switch, though :)

Dec 16, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #1,288 of 1,995
Just placed my order for the Burson Conductor! Was able to get it for $1250 used on Amazon, not too bad considering the retail is $600 more.

Dec 18, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #1,289 of 1,995
I've decided low gain doesn't cut it for me on the Conductor with my LCD-3s. 

Rock just doesn't kick quite as much. 

What gain are people using with Audeze?

Dec 18, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #1,290 of 1,995
I'm on high gain with LCD-2's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back