Burson Conductor - DAC/amp successor to the HA-160D
Nov 9, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #1,231 of 1,995
Maybe it's glued ... lol

Nov 9, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #1,232 of 1,995
Try inserting the Allen key in one of the holes, and try to move the cover using the key as leverage.

You are not missing anything, those 4 screws are the first steps to removing anything else.

Nov 9, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #1,234 of 1,995
Wiggle-wiggle-wiggle...
The back plate does seem to need a bit of wiggling from the bottom to come out.

... but it's well worth it. Music is both bigger and more refined.

I just popped the C-Media module in yesterday. It's been a few weeks, so aural memory may be tested, but in little doubt it's a significantly better converter. I can only compare it to the old Tenor. I had borrowed a friend's original Audiophilleo in the past few weeks, but didn't think it was significantly better - if better at all.

(I'm using Audirvana on a Mac mini, old Burson power amp and Gallo Stradas/sub.)

A more prominent bass was the first thing that hit me. It's at least as tight. Hence, it feels like the sound is bigger. I've turned my subwoofer down.

Difficult passages are handled with aplomb. A bum note on the piano that has always proved a little hard on the ears seems better resolved. It is smoother, with more of the note's texture shown in sharp relief. This is without any high-end roll off, me thinks.

Details are more apparent. As others have noted, there is more air - likewise, other spatial cues are better defined. On live recordings, audiences are... livelier.

So beyond the few dollars, wait for postage and a little wiggling to get it in, the C-Media board is a well worth it.

I'd be curious to know how people think it compares to well regarded converters. So do share, good people :)

Nov 9, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #1,235 of 1,995
Thanks Kiont, vegan, and negura for your help! I was able to remove the top plate using the allen key as leverage. Photos taken and emailed to Burson. Hopefully, the usb module will arrive next week :) Cheers again!

Nov 12, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #1,237 of 1,995
  I plan to try a SET amp with the Conductor's preamp soon. If anyone has tried using the preamp how would you rate it? Any issues?

I had my Taboo amplifier (SET) dual RCA inputs connected to the Conductor's DAC and respectively preamp. Thus I could compare at the flip of a switch. It doesn't get easier than that. In general I find it easy to hear for example differences between different cables, interfaces or whatever has you. With the Conductor preamp, I heard no difference whatsoever no matter how hard I tried compared to hearing the DAC directly. In practice it did ... absolutely nothing for the sound.

Nov 12, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #1,238 of 1,995

I had my Taboo amplifier (SET) dual RCA inputs connected to the Conductor's DAC and respectively preamp. Thus I could compare at the flip of a switch. It doesn't get easier than that. In general I find it easy to hear for example differences between different cables, interfaces or whatever has you. With the Conductor preamp, I heard no difference whatsoever no matter how hard I tried compared to hearing the DAC directly. In practice it did ... absolutely nothing for the sound.

I don't know how to feel about that. Are you saying that the preamp adds' nothing? That's a good thing, right?

Nov 12, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #1,239 of 1,995
  I don't know how to feel about that. Are you saying that the preamp adds' nothing? That's a good thing, right?

I guess between it and the DAC out, it's a matter of whether you want to use the stepped atttenuator on the Conductor or not.

Nov 12, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #1,240 of 1,995

I guess between it and the DAC out, it's a matter of whether you want to use the stepped atttenuator on the Conductor or not.

Ok, thanks', let me add so I don't sound flippant here that I'm guessing the Taboo has an attenuator itself? A built in preamp? That would veil the sound. The SET I'm going to try is a straight amp. I also have the Khozmo 48 step attenuator which I can vouch is very transparent.

Nov 14, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #1,241 of 1,995
Hello everyone! I'm a long time reader, but this is the first time I actually post here.

I'm from Finland and was lucky that we have a couple of Burson resellers here. I bought my Conductor about six months ago. Like many of you my first thoughts were a bit mixed. My previous set was Sennheiser HD600 + Asus Xonar ST.

After few days of "burning in" the Conductor started to shine and I was more than impressed. Btw I also bought Audeze LCD-2 (newest revision) at the time with the Conductor. Sound is very crisp, but it isn't fatiguing. I had couple of wow effects when I listened to my music collection. I could hear things in songs I didn't hear before.  Obviously I have made some minor updates to my system in the six monts.

My current setup:
Audeze LCD-2 w/ Moon audio Silver dragon v3 cable
Burson Conductor w/ CM6631A USB module upgrade
Nordost Magus power cables 2x (Conductor + Computer)
Stock USB cable (will buy Supra USB cable soon)
Analysis Plus Digital Crystal coax cable

Computer specs:
3770k (4,5 GHz)
P8Z77-V Pro
8 Gb G.Skill Ares 2133 MHz 9-11-10-28 1T
Gainward Phantom GTX 680
ASUS Xonar ST
Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256 Gb + 1 Tb HDD
Corsair AX 650W PSU

My Conductor is now connected to computer by USB. I'm using Foobar + ASIO for playback. I have not used the Xonar's coax output for a while since my coax cable was faulty (the analysis plus cable). I leave my Conductor on all the time. I shut it down only if I know that I will be away for long time. I use medium gain and volume control is @ 12:00. I love the sturdy feeling of the Conductors attenuator.

I had my USB module shipped like all of you. Gladly it was ok and the swap was pretty easy. Had some problems with the cover to come off. Actually the first thing why I used coax instead the USB was due to problems with the tenor usb module. Some random bluescreens and problems with playback are gone with the new usb module. I think the sound became better with the new module too. Soundstage is wider and I think it gave a bit of bass boost. Well worth the 60 euros!

For summary I could say that the conductor is a great device! It's great with Audeze LCD-2 and the sound is very balanced. Even my girlfriend loves it because music sounds so crisp with the setup. The only negative thing with the current setup is that the soundstage could be a bit wider, although the new usb module helped this a bit.

Nov 14, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #1,243 of 1,995
  For summary I could say that the conductor is a great device! It's great with Audeze LCD-2 and the sound is very balanced. Even my girlfriend loves it because music sounds so crisp with the setup. The only negative thing to say is that the soundstage could be a bit wider, although the new usb module helped this a bit.

Welcome & great post. That's more of a trait of the Audeze LCD-2s than the Conductor by the way.

Nov 14, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #1,244 of 1,995

Welcome & great post. That's more of a trait of the Audeze LCD-2s than the Conductor by the way.

Thanks guys for the welcome!

Oh yeah that´s true. My text makes you think that Conductor is to blame for that, and that's not the case! Would like to test Sennheiser HD800 someday with Conductor... or maybe the new LCD-X or XC.

And about LCD-2 sound. Wow the Bass is so deep. It ain't your typical BOOMBOOM ghettoblaster bass. It's accurate and deep. In rock/progrock songs you can hear the bassline very clear and I love it.

Anyone with Conductor and the new Audezes, either X or XC ?

Nov 14, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #1,245 of 1,995
That would be Dan. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back