Burson Conductor - DAC/amp successor to the HA-160D
Nov 6, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #1,216 of 1,995
I'm terrible doing comparisons, but I can tell the new CM6631 USB module sounds much better, listening to Bach, there is more separation and detail between instruments, Bach Air's seems more....airy 
dt880smile.png

Foobar through ASIO driver, no issues so far.

Nov 6, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #1,217 of 1,995
  I'm terrible doing comparisons, but I can tell the new CM6631 USB module sounds much better, listening to Bach, there is more separation and detail between instruments, Bach Air's seems more....airy 
dt880smile.png

Foobar through ASIO driver, no issues so far.

That was my first impression also but because of compatibility issues with Vista i have to use Wasapi !

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #1,218 of 1,995
I received my replacement USB module today and got it installed. Seems to sound better with better instrument isolation, maybe slightly better soundstage as well, although it's quite subtle. 

Installation was straightforward although if I had to do it again, I would remove the back plate more than the instructions state. Getting the old USB module out was a bit of a process and can tend to bend things a bit. 

Nov 6, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #1,219 of 1,995
I'm very impressed with the Halide Bridge plugged into my Conductor. I know they're getting on a bit and they don't play ultra high resolution files, but I picked mine up at a great price and I couldn't be happier with it. God knows how, but I'm noticing more of a improvement with this and the HE-500 than I did with the AP2 and higher end headphones. The detail I'm hearing now is beyond what I thought the Conductor and the HE-500 were capable of delivering.

Nov 6, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #1,220 of 1,995
Glad to hear everything arrived safe and sound!
In my system Tenor tends to show the details in a forced way it sound a bit unnatural, the overall image wasn't coherently with the totality there was always something in the upper "coming from nowhere?" distracting me and not allowing me to concentrate on the middle range, but with this new USB module CM6631A it seems much much better, none of the ranges have really emerged into another creating a perfect sound image. And a nod to Mac users, true plug 'n play happy days!

Nov 7, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #1,221 of 1,995
Good to know that everything is good folks. 

@Mike, i'm curious about the stepped attenuator upgrade. I would like to know the final result, having some extra steps doesn't hurt. 

Nov 7, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #1,222 of 1,995
  I received my replacement USB module today and got it installed. Seems to sound better with better instrument isolation, maybe slightly better soundstage as well, although it's quite subtle. 

Installation was straightforward although if I had to do it again, I would remove the back plate more than the instructions state. Getting the old USB module out was a bit of a process and can tend to bend things a bit. 

Out of curiousity, was it packaged in the same shabby way?

Nov 7, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #1,223 of 1,995
Out of curiousity, was it packaged in the same shabby way?

Same foam and tape, just thrown in a larger box, loose. So it moved around in the box. Luckily it arrived in tact this time though.

Nov 7, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #1,224 of 1,995
  Good to know that everything is good folks. 

@Mike, i'm curious about the stepped attenuator upgrade. I would like to know the final result, having some extra steps doesn't hurt. 

Ya but having extra steps that dont go SNAP, CRACKLE, AND POP is the main thing for me 

Nov 7, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #1,225 of 1,995
PS, I noticed it's super easy to swap out the DAC in the conductor. In fact, you have to remove it to install the USB module.

Not that the DAC needs upgrading right now, but I wonder if in the future Burson would release an updated module for that. 

Nov 7, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #1,226 of 1,995
  Ya but having extra steps that dont go SNAP, CRACKLE, AND POP is the main thing for me 

Note, adding more steps just adds to the probability of more noise on each turn. 

Mine doesn't make any noise at all though so it's not something I've even heard. 

Nov 7, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #1,227 of 1,995
  Note, adding more steps just adds to the probability of more noise on each turn. 

Mine doesn't make any noise at all though so it's not something I've even heard. 

You dont really mind at first but it got louder and not comfortable especially in headphones 

Nov 9, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #1,229 of 1,995
  Any tips on how to remove the top plate from the conductor? I've removed the 4 screws with an Allen key already, but the top plate ain't budging? I'm sure I'm missing something...

Try turning it over a bit to the side and it should move ... ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back