Burson Conductor - DAC/amp successor to the HA-160D
Dec 18, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #137 of 1,995
Quote:
I thought it was just a Soloist with an added DAC.  A whole new animal from the HA160D

It blows the 160D from the water.
Im waiting if Burson decide to release a standalone Dac, we'll see. 

Dec 18, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #138 of 1,995
I know; I have both of them.

The question earlier was whether or not the amp section is any different from the Soloist (if I understodd Trogdor correctly) and it seems not to be according to their site:

Quote:
The Headphone Amplifier The Conductor also features our well regarded Soloist Headphone Amplifier. We had to deploy another 35W customised transformer to ensure that the Soloist circuitry is independent and optimised at all times. This is to ensure that its performance is exactly the same as the standalone Soloist.

so those Mjolnir vs Soloist reviews are worth checking out.

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #139 of 1,995
I know; I have both of them.

The question earlier was whether or not the amp section is any different from the Soloist (if I understodd Trogdor correctly) and it seems not to be according to their site:

so those Mjolnir vs Soloist reviews are worth checking out.

Ah, I stand corrected. Thanks driver 8. Mea culpa. I will go read those reviews.

Dec 27, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #140 of 1,995
Guys, for anybody that heard clicking or noise during songs.

I stopped having these problems . I had the conductor set as default playback device in skype, and sometimes I set it in windows. After i stopped doing this it stopped. Actually if i set it as a default playback device the problem occurs, but only then.
I have to unset it as default playback device in windows and then restart for the problems to go away.

Another thing, I have  noticed that my wireworld aurora cable was not a good match , because it restricted dynamics, bass and introduced sibilance . The cable has some filtering inside which may get in the way of the 5 step filter inside conductor.

So be careful what cables you use (if they have some filtering inside) and with power conditioners. They usually are not good with Conductor!

Dec 27, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #141 of 1,995
I'm using OSX10.8 and Audirvana and have absolutely no problems with Conductor. I'm powering it via the Supra Lo-Rad shielded power cable and HiFi tuning Supreme fuse (replaced original fuse in the Conductor).

For Macbook Pro connection i'm using TOSLINK and USB connection to Logitech Squeezebox Touch (with triode's Enhanced Digital Output and kernel #12 with support for [size=small] Tenor TE8802 USB transciever).[/size]

For critical listening I'm using analog input of Conductor conneted to PS Audio PWD MKII with bridge card.

All audio devices are connected to PS Audio Powerplant P5 with Multiwave regeneration enabled.

Burson Conductor is really great product.

Dec 27, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #143 of 1,995
Quote:
I'm using OSX10.8 and Audirvana and have absolutely no problems with Conductor. I'm powering it via the Supra Lo-Rad shielded power cable and HiFi tuning Supreme fuse (replaced original fuse in the Conductor).

For Macbook Pro connection i'm using TOSLINK and USB connection to Logitech Squeezebox Touch (with triode's Enhanced Digital Output and kernel #12 with support for [size=small] Tenor TE8802 USB transciever).[/size]

For critical listening I'm using analog input of Conductor conneted to PS Audio PWD MKII with bridge card.

All audio devices are connected to PS Audio Powerplant P5 with Multiwave regeneration enabled.

Burson Conductor is really great product.

Yes it is a great product! I love it! It has some glitches with the driver in windows but I can manage! I have compared it shortly with M2Tech Vaughan with lcd2, lcd3 and hd800 with the courtesy of Darku. Though Vaughan has a cleaner sound and a blacker background ( it runs on batteries and no cable or power conditioner makes a difference), a slight smoother sound and a little more details, the differences were minor, and I personally liked the conductor more. Conductor had a punchier bass and a better lower midrange. And Vaughan was supposed to be in a completely different league 
atsmile.gif

Did the Supreme fuse make a difference? Can you please tell me more on that subject? What were the differences? 
Thanks! 

Dec 27, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #144 of 1,995
I'm interested in the difference the fuse makes also.  Debating on whether to replace fuses in my power amps too.

Dec 27, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #145 of 1,995
Quote:
I'm interested in the difference the fuse makes also.  Debating on whether to replace fuses in my power amps too.

Me too and I found the first person who actually did it on Conductor! :D Can't wait for more details 
atsmile.gif

Jan 3, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #146 of 1,995
Guys sorry for the delay, I have already replied to Dan via PM, but this may possibly help also to others so i'm pasting it here for the reference:

Yes, the supreme fuse made the difference - the sound got a bit more colour in mids, bass impact improved with my HD800 headphones and the music sounds better connected together.

But to be honest the most analytical testing with Supreme fuses I did with my previous Burson product - HA-160 and for the new Conductor I replaced the fuse on second day the Conductor was delivered to me, so did not compare too much as for me the Supreme fuse was clear way to go after the experience with HA-160 :)

BTW with HA-160 I got improved dynamics after replacing stock power cable with shielded Supra Lo-Rad cable (not really expensive cable) - this also improved "blackness" as I think I had quite a lot of noise coming from other power cables and switching power supplies from other devices nearby. Again i'm using the Supra power cable from the moment the Conductor was delivered so can't comment if exactly the same applies also for Conductor, but I would believe so..

Hope this help a bit.

P.S. Make sure to test putting Supreme fuse in both directions and stay with the one you like more. Somehow there is a difference in which way the fuse is inserted (you will easily notice it in amount and control of bass). Also i recommend using contact cleaner before applying the fuse and not touching the contacts with bare fingers.

Jan 3, 2013 at 5:30 AM Post #147 of 1,995
Quote:
Guys sorry for the delay, I have already replied to Dan via PM, but this may possibly help also to others so i'm pasting it here for the reference:

Yes, the supreme fuse made the difference - the sound got a bit more colour in mids, bass impact improved with my HD800 headphones and the music sounds better connected together.

But to be honest the most analytical testing with Supreme fuses I did with my previous Burson product - HA-160 and for the new Conductor I replaced the fuse on second day the Conductor was delivered to me, so did not compare too much as for me the Supreme fuse was clear way to go after the experience with HA-160 :)

BTW with HA-160 I got improved dynamics after replacing stock power cable with shielded Supra Lo-Rad cable (not really expensive cable) - this also improved "blackness" as I think I had quite a lot of noise coming from other power cables and switching power supplies from other devices nearby. Again i'm using the Supra power cable from the moment the Conductor was delivered so can't comment if exactly the same applies also for Conductor, but I would believe so..

Hope this help a bit.

P.S. Make sure to test putting Supreme fuse in both directions and stay with the one you like more. Somehow there is a difference in which way the fuse is inserted (you will easily notice it in amount and control of bass). Also i recommend using contact cleaner before applying the fuse and not touching the contacts with bare fingers.

Thank you! It was really helpful! I think I will try the fuse tweak at the end of the month. Cables do make a difference. I use the ps audio jewel . It is a better combination than with my Wireworld Aurora . Aurora has some noise filtering, and the conductor already has 5 steps power filtering, and it might get in the way. So the aurora restricts dynamics, bass and makes the sound more bright. 

I also reserved one wall socket JUST for the Conductor, and this got me a cleaner background and more details.

Jan 5, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #148 of 1,995
Thanks maniac0r!  Supreme fuse ordered.

Jan 8, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #149 of 1,995
Hey guys, anyone have the conductor hooked up via USB and able to get their PC to idle?  (ie.  IM status gets set to away, monitor turns off after 10 mins, etc.)

For whatever reason, when my conductor is on my PC doesn't idle.

It's not really a big issue, just wondering if anyone else experiences this or knows a solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back