Burson Conductor - DAC/amp successor to the HA-160D
Jan 8, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #151 of 1,995
Quote:
Hey guys, anyone have the conductor hooked up via USB and able to get their PC to idle?  (ie.  IM status gets set to away, monitor turns off after 10 mins, etc.)

For whatever reason, when my conductor is on my PC doesn't idle.

It's not really a big issue, just wondering if anyone else experiences this or knows a solution.

If you do not listen to any music and do nothing it should idle.

Jan 8, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #152 of 1,995
Quote:
Hey guys, anyone have the conductor hooked up via USB and able to get their PC to idle?  (ie.  IM status gets set to away, monitor turns off after 10 mins, etc.)

For whatever reason, when my conductor is on my PC doesn't idle.

It's not really a big issue, just wondering if anyone else experiences this or knows a solution.

It's one of the major issues with the Tenor chip. The same issues came up when Audio-GD was using it. 

Jan 9, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #156 of 1,995
I'm not using Conductor with computer too frequently, but once I did, I have noticed that my macbook woke up for no reason for few seconds and then gone to sleep again. I have noticed it because before sleeping the notebook I was listening to music via Audirvana app, so when notebook woke it started to play few seconds and then stopped as it gone into sleep. Also external USB HDD was connected that time to notebook, nothing else. I was not investigating this as it did happen (or I have noticed) only once...

On other side I just yesterday noticed that when I select USB (or other digital input) and do have volume and gain on MAX, I can clearly hear specific noise in the left channel of headphones, even with nothing connected to Conductor. I'm not sure if it's only my device showing this behaviour, or common issue though. It is not a problem because when having volume set to normal (or louder) listening levels I can't hear it, really it's there only on nearly max or max level..

Jan 10, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #159 of 1,995
Is the lack of idle an issue with the chip itself (hardware) or the driver (firmware/software)?  I suspect that's more of a software, signaling , issue.  I know Tenor (or Far East Galaxy) is working with Burson on a 64 bit driver for Windows 8 and hopefully they can solve that issue.  I know the current, 32 bit, driver doesn't play well with JPLAY which is a very low latency player.  I'm not an engineer but the idle issue may be what's causing the problem with JPLAY but that's just assumption on my part.

Jan 11, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #160 of 1,995
Probably should have mentioned this in my previous post, but I'm running win7 64bit.  Is anyone able to successfully idle on x64?  My initial thoughts is this may strictly be a 64 bit only issue.

Jan 11, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #161 of 1,995
Quote:
Probably should have mentioned this in my previous post, but I'm running win7 64bit.  Is anyone able to successfully idle on x64?  My initial thoughts is this may strictly be a 64 bit only issue.

Until you guys said this I didn't realize the computer never goes idle. I also have win7 64  and it does not idle.

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #163 of 1,995
Quote:
I usually tell my computers not to anyways, so it' s been a non- issue for me.

That has been my case too, though I hope these problems get fixed by the new driver update.

Ah, If you are planning to install windows 8, it wouldn't work with conductor just yet, but from what I understand, the win8 drivers will be out soon.

Jan 14, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #164 of 1,995
I have been using the Conductor for approximately a month now, initially with HD800s but then with ATH-W3000ANVs from last Friday, some of my impressions:

Current setup is:
iPod classic > Wadia 171i transport > Burson Conductor > W3000ANV

With the HD800s I was experimenting with the different gain settings and it appeared that, at the same volume (though I had no way of measuring), the low gain seemed slightly more relaxed and laid-back than medium or high gain. But the difference was small so I'm not sure if it's an actual difference or just my hearing. I settled on medium gain for the HD800s.

The pairing is very good in terms of detail, soundstage and linearity, no specific part of the frequency range dominates, and I felt it produced a particularly realistic sound with acoustic/live music, and is perfectly capable with other genres.

However, I felt I needed something that could complement the HD800s, hence the W3000s, and I have to say the Conductor/W3000 pairing is phenomenal to my ears.

The Conductor is at low gain for the W3000s, either 9 o'clock or one step higher on the volume. The sound is rich and deep, more than enough bass, certainly when coming from the HD800s, but still with exceptional detail retrieval.

I feel like nothing is given up when switching away from the HD800, but the W3000 gives me a far greater sense of euphony and musicality, which is tremendously addictive; there is no urge to "notice" any small things in the songs but instead just to get lost in the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back