Burson Conductor - DAC/amp successor to the HA-160D
Dec 13, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #122 of 1,995
Burson has a beta version of the new driver and is currently testing it!  
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 14, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #124 of 1,995
Good to know, hopefully they release it soon. 

As for the cables question, audioquest makes decent cables. (i don't feel the need to spend lots on cables Imo)

Dec 15, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #125 of 1,995
Quote:
they're all the same.  apparently USB ports can differ in quality from device to device, though, which is a bit maddening.

Not all USB cables are the same. Yes, they all basically transfer data but some of the cheapy ones that come with your keyboard or whatever are really thin and don't have as much shielding as one specifically for audio. 

Dec 15, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #128 of 1,995
I'd agree a USB cable without any shielding is bad, but claims beyond that will mostly be cable theory based on people's interconnect and headphone cables, which are iffy enough as is.  A USB cable doesn't even carry an audio signal making the idea of a "USB cable specifically for audio" a bit misleading.  If the analog signal I'm hearing even existed before the DAC outputs it I'd have to hit up Coconut Audio for some souped up SATA cables and ****.

I only ever see people with legitimately good gear talking about the USB interfaces implemented, which the cable won't change anyways. 

Dec 15, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #130 of 1,995
I have the wireworld starlight cable with it. I tested it against the stock cable. You can hear the difference, but it is very subtle. It is true that both send digital signals. however, all that matters with the usb cables is the timming of the data received and the clock. However, Conductor has a very good async usb receiver which is independed of the clock from your computer. I found cables make a small difference with it, much smaller than with my ha-160ds. I wouldn't spend 100 euros for the starlight again, in this situation. I would get a a wireworld ultraviolet at most or audioquest forest.

Dec 15, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #131 of 1,995
Has anyone had a chance yet to compare the Conductor against the Schiit Gungnir/Mjolnir?  I'm really curious to hear anyone's findings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back