Breaking News: HE1000 V2
Sep 13, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #211 of 386

For what it's worth, the rate of defects we see across a wide range of HIFIMAN products has gone down over the years.  Newer products like the HE1000, HE560, and HE400s have had very few defects/returns, as compared to earlier products from the HE500, HE400 era.  And on the more recent products, most issues have been with the cables as opposed to the headphones themselves

Good to know.  I may have to reconsider, since I've been kind of tempted by the he1000s, especially the new V2.  As long as the drivers don't die on me as they did with my HE-6s, I'll be okay.

Sep 13, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #212 of 386
  Good to know.  I may have to reconsider, since I've been kind of tempted by the he1000s, especially the new V2.  As long as the drivers don't die on me as they did with my HE-6s, I'll be okay.

I would also consider that HIFIMAN has been very good, in our experience, at replacing defective products when they do occur. Your HIFIMAN retailer should be able to help you make sure you have a healthy, working headphone to last :)

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Sep 13, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #213 of 386

Despite the Utopia waiting for a further session?
confused.gif

I know right? First world problems. 
beerchug.gif

Moreover, there are more musical expression such as vibrato, vocal emotion, exciting during unison ...etc. for V2.
V1 was too calm comparing to V2.

So far I do agree that the V2 is a bit more dynamic than the V1 and to my ears, that's quite welcomed!

Sep 14, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #214 of 386

To be honest, I couldn't live with a fix volume for all my recordings – which in fact vary a lot, despite being normalized manually. It sounds as if the output impedance of your player is really high, maybe around 250 ohms, which I consider critical in terms of strain for the output stage. The current flow is at least 500 times higher than it's designed for. It may very well withstand the strain, but there's no guarantee. In my case one channel died after two or three years.

Your philosophy of renouncing a headphone amp (which I share) is better served with a solution from the Chord line-up (Mojo, Hugo, Hugo TT, DAVE) offering exactly that: high-power line-out stages meant to drive headphones. The volume control happens in the digital domain and is absolutely lossless down to very low listening levels.

My philosophy is more likely "simple is less compromise". I hope to get most "pure" sound quality. Once a headphone amp show the best compromise to me, I would take that choice.
Anyway, you are right. If impedance of HE-1000 is larger than 350ohm, it is better for RCA output. (Your reminding makes me worried about my player
eek.gif
)

Sep 14, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #215 of 386

I'm sorry, simple is an adjective, "simpler = better" should be better.

Guess you ain't no native speaker, no offence.

A comparison needn't be grammatically equivalent.

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #216 of 386

To be honest, I couldn't live with a fix volume for all my recordings – which in fact vary a lot, despite being normalized manually. It sounds as if the output impedance of your player is really high, maybe around 250 ohms, which I consider critical in terms of strain for the output stage. The current flow is at least 500 times higher than it's designed for. It may very well withstand the strain, but there's no guarantee. In my case one channel died after two or three years.

Your philosophy of renouncing a headphone amp (which I share) is better served with a solution from the Chord line-up (Mojo, Hugo, Hugo TT, DAVE) offering exactly that: high-power line-out stages meant to drive headphones. The volume control happens in the digital domain and is absolutely lossless down to very low listening levels.

My philosophy is more likely "simple is less compromise". I hope to get most "pure" sound quality. Once a headphone amp show the best compromise to me, I would take that choice.
Anyway, you are right. If impedance of HE-1000 is larger than 350ohm, it is better for RCA output. (Your reminding makes me worried about my player
eek.gif
)

Well, having just one volume setting is a huge compromise in my book. And just in case you haven't realized: You would get an equally simple signal path with e.g. a Chord Hugo with its ampless headphone out and lossless digital volume regulation, moreover an extremely low output impedance and much higher output power than now.

My philosophy is more likely "simple is less compromise".

I'm sorry, simple is an adjective, "simpler = better" should be better.

Guess you ain't no native speaker, no offence.

To my ears the original wording isn't wrong, as it can be interpreted as «to keep things simple means less sonic compromise». (This from a non-native speaker.)

Sep 14, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #217 of 386

eek.gif
)

It will never cease to amaze me how some people choose to use/abuse their expensive new toys.
redface.gif

But hey, it's their money.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 14, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #218 of 386
when it will get launched ? Hopefully my goldmund tha2 can still drive the new version very well.

Sep 14, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #219 of 386

I would also consider that HIFIMAN has been very good, in our experience, at replacing defective products when they do occur. Your HIFIMAN retailer should be able to help you make sure you have a healthy, working headphone to last :)

Ditto, have a friend who experienced their replacement service, said it was smooth and easy.

The build quality and QA may not be as good, that is bad in the first place, but at least the customers are getting brand new ones back easily if something happens.

BTW, flagged some derailing posts from mtoc.

Sep 14, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #220 of 386
@Weilli The problem with plugging a pair of headphones into the RCA output of a player is that the player will almost certainly have a very high output impedance, far higher than the headphones, and the output circuit will be designed to send signals to 10 kOhm+ inputs of an amplifier, not the high-current demands of a pair of planar headphones. It is very likely that what you are experiencing with the headphones will be radically different to that of a person using a proper headphone amplifier. 

Sep 14, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #221 of 386
@Weilli The problem with plugging a pair of headphones into the RCA output of a player is that the player will almost certainly have a very high output impedance, far higher than the headphones, and the output circuit will be designed to send signals to 10 kOhm+ inputs of an amplifier, not the high-current demands of a pair of planar headphones. It is very likely that what you are experiencing with the headphones will be radically different to that of a person using a proper headphone amplifier. 

Although his player may have more output of if it is an older unit,
I cannot imagine it putting out more than 200 miliwatt...

I have noted the V1 model more dynamic with more power so I would imagine a rather soft sound from such low watts,

I have tried similar to this scenario,
by plugging the V1 into my Note4 phone,
And it actually had barely enough juice to push a normal nice sound(!)

Sep 15, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #222 of 386

I have noted the V1 model more dynamic with more power so I would imagine a rather soft sound from such low watts,

Well, having just one volume setting is a huge compromise in my book. And just in case you haven't realized: You would get an equally simple signal path with e.g. a Chord Hugo with its ampless headphone out and lossless digital volume regulation, moreover an extremely low output impedance and much higher output power than now.

To my ears the original wording isn't wrong, as it can be interpreted as «to keep things simple means less sonic compromise». (This from a non-native speaker.)

Thanks for all your advices. I will try some amps and DACs in the future.

I think the sound quality in Androids and in iOS are different.
Trying to plug in an iPad. Sound quality in YouTube app is much solid than I expected.

Sep 15, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #223 of 386
The changes of inner structure of HE-1000 V2
Please refer to http://www.head-fi.org/t/816442/hifiman-he1000-tape-mod-upgrade-their-sound-for-a-couple-of-dollars,
because I actually dare not take pictures in order not to let dust or particle entering into HE1000.
There are 3mm reduction in the thickness of cans, which comes from reduced gap between the outer black ring and the green/yellow ring.
The gap is still there about 2~3mm for assembly of the earpad.
The black plastic gel alongside the front magnet is somewhat different with more holes on it.

Modifications such as Currawong's Tape MOD, Maxx134's V2.5 MOD are still available.
I didn't feel any laid back anymore in the specific frequency range, so the other modifications will not be necessary.

Sep 15, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #224 of 386
The black plastic gel alongside the front magnet is somewhat different with more holes on it.

Not sure what you are describing about more holes.
Could you please give more detail.
Are you describing the driver or the material around it?

Sep 16, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #225 of 386
Not sure what you are describing about more holes.
Could you please give more detail.
Are you describing the driver or the material around it?

What I mentioned is the material (black hard gel?) around the driver.
On the surface of the material there are small potholes and the color of it tends to a little gray.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back