Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Oct 16, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #286 of 2,191
I have both, what you're describing is a personal taste, you do hear the compression in W3,tho i agree that there's something special about them, total missed opportunity on the codecs there.
PX7 is a bit more refined imho tho yes, bass sounds boxy
Personal taste? Of course. When is that never the case? Especially when people think the Sony 1000xm3 sounds better than the Bose qc35 ii right out of the box.

I am comparing the px7 with the M3 equed (not the default sound out of the box). The Px7>M3 (out of the box). Moving the slider in the sennheiser app slightly downward and to the right significantly improves the sound. The soundstage opens up tremendously, the bass tightens up, the clarity and naturalness beyond belief. You have to EQ them just right though. They put my 58x jubilee to shame and I love those.

The px7 sounds LESS REFINED to my ears. It's a good fun and engaging sound but not very transparent and not very detailed. Again this is compared to M3 equed (not out of the box sound). The M3 equed is even more fun and engaging but with better clarity and midrange.

I never seen where Eqing a headphone leads to this much increase in sound quality. It's unreal.

Oct 16, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #288 of 2,191
Personal taste? Of course. When is that never the case? Especially when people think the Sony 1000xm3 sounds better than the Bose qc35 ii right out of the box.

I am comparing the px7 with the M3 equed (not the default sound out of the box). The Px7>M3 (out of the box). Moving the slider in the sennheiser app slightly downward and to the right significantly improves the sound. The soundstage opens up tremendously, the bass tightens up, the clarity and naturalness beyond belief. You have to EQ them just right though. They put my 58x jubilee to shame and I love those.

The px7 sounds LESS REFINED to my ears. It's a good fun and engaging sound but not very transparent and not very detailed. Again this is compared to M3 equed (not out of the box sound). The M3 equed is even more fun and engaging but with better clarity and midrange.

I never seen where Eqing a headphone leads to this much increase in sound quality. It's unreal.

Just curious how you ended up eq'ing your xm3? I think I've got mine close to where i like them but am always curious about other people's approach

Oct 16, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #290 of 2,191

This. I A&B'd the M3 and PX7 for a few days straight. Out of the box of course. I love both as far as sound quality goes. I ultimately ended up preferring the PX7 overall. It combines the easy multi device connection via the app of the Bose NC700, with the excellent sound quality of the M3 although in a different way. I also prefer the PX7s comfort, look, and case to the M3.

To my ears out of the box, the PX7 has a wider soundstage, and is the more detailed headphone. I slightly prefer the voicing of the M3's midrange and I prefer it's bass response for bass heavy music. The PX7 is the more versatile headphone in my opinion. It sounds excellent with acoustic music due to the soundstage, and still has enough bass punch to make modern music sound fun.

The big deal breaker for me with M3 is that there is no way to easily switch between devices. If I have the M3s hooked to my Apple TV and iPhone at night and forget to disconnect it from the Apple TV before going to bed, walking the dog the next morning sucks if I forget to turn on the Apple TV and disconnect from it. I have to get out of range before turning my headphones on, otherwise I get skipping until I get fully out of range of the Apple TV. I love that I can just turn on the PX7 and not worry about what it's connected to because I can control it from the app.

The PX7s have allowed me to get rid of my Bose NC700 and M3s. The PX7s are now my everyday office and travel headphones. I have the new Beats Solo Pro on preorder for my fun, enjoyable listening headphone that I'm most likely to grab when out and about in the city.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #291 of 2,191
The PX7s have allowed me to get rid of my Bose NC700 and M3s. The PX7s are now my everyday office and travel headphones. I have the new Beats Solo Pro on preorder for my fun, enjoyable listening headphone that I'm most likely to grab when out and about in the city.
You may have already mentioned it, but how do you feel the PX7 ANC compares to the NCH700?

Oct 16, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #292 of 2,191
You may have already mentioned it, but how do you feel the PX7 ANC compares to the NCH700?
I haven't flown with them yet so I can't comment on that, but for office use and blocking out my kids, TVs, games, etc. around the house, it actually is slightly better in my opinion. The PX7 has better passive isolation than the NC700. It blocks voices and high pitch sounds better before even having to engage the ANC. The house feels quieter when I have the PX7 on. I know Bose is the king of engine silence, so the verdict is still out on that. For me though, I never fly and have on headphones with no music or sound of some kind coming through. As long as the ANC on a headphone is good to great, I'm ok with it. In my everyday life I get more from blocking voices, games, and TVs than I do plane engines.

Oct 16, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #293 of 2,191
Just curious how you ended up eq'ing your xm3? I think I've got mine close to where i like them but am always curious about other people's approach
Not the xm3. I'm talking about the momentum 3 wireless (M3).
The xm3 is horrible out of the box. The px7 is significantly better. The xm3 has a very dull and wooly bass with 0 tightness. The treble is subdued too much. It's a very warm cozy and forgiving signature. But no excitement whatsoever.

So if you were referring to the xm3 then I agree with you 100%. The px7 is more refined and definitely is better.

Oct 16, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #294 of 2,191
This. I A&B'd the M3 and PX7 for a few days straight. Out of the box of course. I love both as far as sound quality goes. I ultimately ended up preferring the PX7 overall. It combines the easy multi device connection via the app of the Bose NC700, with the excellent sound quality of the M3 although in a different way. I also prefer the PX7s comfort, look, and case to the M3.

To my ears out of the box, the PX7 has a wider soundstage, and is the more detailed headphone. I slightly prefer the voicing of the M3's midrange and I prefer it's bass response for bass heavy music. The PX7 is the more versatile headphone in my opinion. It sounds excellent with acoustic music due to the soundstage, and still has enough bass punch to make modern music sound fun.

The big deal breaker for me with M3 is that there is no way to easily switch between devices. If I have the M3s hooked to my Apple TV and iPhone at night and forget to disconnect it from the Apple TV before going to bed, walking the dog the next morning sucks if I forget to turn on the Apple TV and disconnect from it. I have to get out of range before turning my headphones on, otherwise I get skipping until I get fully out of range of the Apple TV. I love that I can just turn on the PX7 and not worry about what it's connected to because I can control it from the app.

I agree that the px7 sounds better than the M3 out of the box. And if I didnt stumble upon an EQ setting for the M3 that makes them sound 10x better then I would choose the px7 all day long.

Put it this way. Out of the box the px7 is better but the M3 has the most potential.

I have headphones connected to my two phones. So having headphones connected to both isn't a big issue for me. But I can see how it is an issue in your case with the Apple TV.

I wish everyone can hear the M3 equed (slider somewhat down and to the right). It's a like a totally different headphone.

Oct 17, 2019 at 2:42 AM Post #299 of 2,191
So, just plugged these into my Mac with USB-C and happily noticed the DAC can handle 24/96. It also seems Qualcomm is going to eventually update AptX Adaptive for 24/96 (up from the AptX HD limit of 24/48). Seems safe to say the PX7 will eventually be able to do 24/96 over Bluetooth then?

Oct 17, 2019 at 2:55 AM Post #300 of 2,191

Now get Neutron and EQ PX7, it gets even more unreal lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back