Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Oct 16, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #256 of 2,191
I have tried developer options with my PX and now with PX7. S10 doesn't store your selection, it will revert back to SBC it self.

I understand that it doesn't save your selection, but when i use my PX7, it is automatically set at aptX, not SBC. Actually I don't really recall it to be set at SBC with other bluetooth headsets I have owned so far (B&W PX, M&D MW65).

Oct 16, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #257 of 2,191
I think he's very much exaggerating the impact of ANC on high. I've found the different to be extremely minimal, to the point that comparing the hit to that seen on the PX seems dishonest. My roommate has the XM3 and though I only played around with them once, the PX7 seems on par in terms of how the ANC impacts the sound signature. When I'm walking around town, ANC set to auto, I don't even notice when it switches from low to high unless I've got the music paused. If I'm sitting in a quiet room listening, then sure I hear a slight change. But I also don't need ANC when in a quiet room. Seems like a non issue for the PX7. That said, it was an issue for the PX, since it just really wasn't great with ANC on flight mode.
I can't really hear any noticeable degradation in sound quality at any volume levels and all ANC settings.

Oct 16, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #260 of 2,191
My Experience so far.
Pros:
-good noise cancelling sound (I like the sound of the PX's with ANC on more than with it off) and sound without noise cancelling
-If my roommates are speaking i cant really hear them. just like whispers or murmurs
-a lot more glasses friendly with sound seal and pads
-hard shell case compared to the PX's soft cover
-These headphones float on my head compared to the PX(I can also do push-ups without them falling off)
-I like the sound/sound signature

eh:
-build quality while lighter and firm is not as good as px.

Cons:
-Bluetooth range could use some work. My area is a bit extreme old buildings and lots of iron and stone and people with BT devices.
-Not the most fold-able

Oct 16, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #261 of 2,191
I just had a listening session with the px7. I would give the sound a 7.5/10. They are definitely good sounding (not great though).

The bass is plenty but a little boxy.
Not as detailed or clean as I like. Very warm and a little dark. Sounds like the mid and high treble is subdued somewhat.

I compared them to the momentum wireless 3 (EQ the slider slightly down and to the right to reduce the bass somewhat and open the soundstage). The momentum not only blew them out of the water but I don't recall hearing anything better EVER (sounded better than my 58x jubilee and fidelio x2, Sony hear.on 2, Bose qc35 ii, etc).
The bass is now clean, strong, and punchy. Great detail, soundstage, and instrument separation. Very natural sounding (real).

Just don't like how they look on my head (bulky).

Oct 16, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #262 of 2,191
Hi there. I’m a new poster yet long time lurker who has bought and returned the B&O H9i, B&W PX, and Sony XM3’s all in the past 45 days on my continued quest to find a nice set of headphones for my 100,000+ miles travels every year.

I just opened up my PX7’s from Crutchfield and here are some of my initial thoughts:

1. The initial quality is above the Sony’s though below both the PX and the H9i. The volume buttons do seem loose per other comments and I would have expected those to be higher quality. The carbon fiber is nice, however.
  2. ANC in my office is GREAT and is definitely comparable to the Sony’s.
  3. I have a big head (I wear 8” hats), and the clamping force is definitely there and noticeable but not as bad as the PX. In retrospect, the H9i is super comfy just like the XM3. Hoping I get used to it with time.
  4. I’m no professional audiophile, but the sound is quite nice and does sound better than the H9i and XM3. I wore my PX’s for about 5 minutes and can’t remember much about how they sounded as they were super uncomfortable.
  5. The app is nice and does have some great features to tweak ANC levels and the proximity sensor. I’d love to see a native equalizer in the next iteration.
  6. When I adjust volume with my iPhone, there is a slight popping noise as the volume changes. This doesn’t happen when I use the physical buttons on the PX7’s. Is this a known issue with BT cans? I don’t recall this happening on the XM3, H9i, or PX’s.

Overall, they’re a great set and I’ll likely keep these to travel with me over the next few years. Just hoping the clamping force loosens up a bit.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #263 of 2,191
I auditioned both the PX5s and PX7s and was quite surprised with my findings. Being a P7 owner I was hoping for an upgrade.

First the PX5s, they have a narrower soundstage compared with the PX7s. They are similar to the PXs in terms of sound but less "boxy", which is a positive. Comfort wise they are also a step up to the PXs, despite being on ear and the fact I wear glasses. Overall I was impressed.

The PX7s have a wider soundstage compared with the PX5s but I found the bass to be overbearing.

Of course, all of this is subjective because it was a quick audition and I know from experience that B&W headphones usually need breaking in. This is what I found with the P9s where the bass does refine over time but then again I didn't find it that boomy when I first tried them.

Having said that, there wasn't a wow factor to convince me to take a punt on either headphone.

I was quite happy to live with the P7s, I love the signature etc. However, as I was leaving the showroom I noticed a pair of Nad Viso HP70s on demo. I have read mixed reviews about this but having owned a pair of HP50s previously, which I did adore until they broke, I gave them a go and boy were they awesome. To me they did have a wow factor, they have a clear sound and have great separation. The highs are slightly more forward than everything else which some may feel make them a bright headphone but to me and my personal taste they sound wonderful.

I just wanted to share my experience, not saying it's right because I know this hobby can be very subjective and personal!

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #264 of 2,191
Almost all reviews say boomy bass so I am out... I certainly won't buy a headphone with that signature regardless of its other abilities.

I understand why they tuned the headphone like this, their target audience is the mainstream consumers whose music taste is "nothing by bass" (think Beats headphones). This headphone will probaby sell very well but I won't buy it.

Oct 16, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #265 of 2,191
I want to audition (hopefully Best Buy will offer that). As a P7W owner, it would be nice to have a more portable friendly B&W headphones with same or better sound quality.
But all the comments of the build quality is giving me pause.
B&W might have dropped the ball at the price point, they may have found a sweet spot at $299 instead.
If you look at the progression from the Bose QC35 to the 700s (better noise cancelling, advanced mic noise cancelling, touch controls, etc) you feel like you are getting a quantitative upgrade.
P7X seems like a step down from the PX when I expected them to take the best from the PX and P7W.
And as an iPhone user, it is even worse for me since I can't use any Aptx.

Oct 16, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #266 of 2,191
I want to audition (hopefully Best Buy will offer that). As a P7W owner, it would be nice to have a more portable friendly B&W headphones with same or better sound quality.
But all the comments of the build quality is giving me pause.
B&W might have dropped the ball at the price point, they may have found a sweet spot at $299 instead.
If you look at the progression from the Bose QC35 to the 700s (better noise cancelling, advanced mic noise cancelling, touch controls, etc) you feel like you are getting a quantitative upgrade.
P7X seems like a step down from the PX when I expected them to take the best from the PX and P7W.
And as an iPhone user, it is even worse for me since I can't use any Aptx.

I'm not super sure where the build quality concerns are coming from either. I think people are just mistaking the carbon fiber for plastic, or are somehow freaked out by the first B&W headphone you couldn't bludgeon someone to death with. They are way higher build quality than the Sony XM3, and probably either Bose.

Oct 16, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #267 of 2,191
I'm not super sure where the build quality concerns are coming from either. I think people are just mistaking the carbon fiber for plastic, or are somehow freaked out by the first B&W headphone you couldn't bludgeon someone to death with. They are way higher build quality than the Sony XM3, and probably either Bose.
I'm not too concerned about the material, although leather to pleather is an obvious downgrade unless it reduces weight greatly.
My bigger concern is the reports of loose or "clacky" buttons. That should never happen on higher end cans.

Oct 16, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #268 of 2,191
I'm not too concerned about the material, although leather to pleather is an obvious downgrade unless it reduces weight greatly.
My bigger concern is the reports of loose or "clacky" buttons. That should never happen on higher end cans.

A few have commented, and I can confirm, that this issue also seems exaggerated. You’d have to be shaking your head vigorously to have the buttons clack. I’d be impressed if the headphones were still on your head by this point.

Oct 16, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #270 of 2,191
A few have commented, and I can confirm, that this issue also seems exaggerated. You’d have to be shaking your head vigorously to have the buttons clack. I’d be impressed if the headphones were still on your head by this point.
Even if I shake my head, there is no noise from buttons. Build quality is so much higher than Sony and Bose. As a previous PX user I miss the look and feel of the PX. PX7 still one of the best build in it's class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back