Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Mar 5, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #2,191 of 2,202
Hello, does anyone know how the volume range is on these headphones, specifically the amount of volume steps? I bought a pair of Focal Bathys but had to return them for this issue, they were either too loud or too quiet for me

I have just bought the other day a pair of Airpods Max but I have to say the sound is disappointing, so now I am looking at the PX7 or PX8 (seems to be some issues with build quality on these?)

Hoping someone knows what I'm on about lol, thanks

I owned the PX7 (v1) and now PX8, and on both when using the headphone buttons, the volume is more granular than using Android device volume buttons. I'd say they have double the volume steps vs. Android default. Don't know anything about iOS.

Jun 11, 2024 at 1:39 AM Post #2,192 of 2,202
Looks like the headband issue wasn't unique to the Px8. I noticed that the headband on my Px7 S2 had come loose today. No idea when that happened but not happy since I have now had to send back the last three B&W products I have purchased for repair (PI7, Px8 and now the Px7 S2). Here we go again with B&W customer support.

Attachments

• 20240611_003832.jpg
    20240611_003832.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240611_003838.jpg
    20240611_003838.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240611_003924.jpg
    20240611_003924.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240611_004508.jpg
    20240611_004508.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240611_004530.jpg
    20240611_004530.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Jun 11, 2024 at 4:58 AM Post #2,193 of 2,202
Looks like the headband issue wasn't unique to the Px8. I noticed that the headband on my Px7 S2 had come loose today. No idea when that happened but not happy since I have now had to send back the last three B&W products I have purchased for repair (PI7, Px8 and now the Px7 S2). Here we go again with B&W customer support.
Same thing just happened to my px7 s2. I've had mine for almost 2 years. Thought the quality was a lot better than that.

Jun 11, 2024 at 8:35 PM Post #2,195 of 2,202
I loved my pair, but they just had the right earcup die after less than a year
Mine were still under warranty. B&W customer support was very responsive this time around and after exchanging a few emails today, they confirmed my Px7 S2 headphones are under warranty and will be exchanging them. I plan on shipping them back this week.

EDIT: meant to add that if you purchased from a dealer or directly from B&W, you should reach out to them. B&W headphones have a 2 year warranty in the US (may differ by country).

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #2,196 of 2,202
Mine were still under warranty. B&W customer support was very responsive this time around and after exchanging a few emails today, they confirmed my Px7 S2 headphones are under warranty and will be exchanging them. I plan on shipping them back this week.

EDIT: meant to add that if you purchased from a dealer or directly from B&W, you should reach out to them. B&W headphones have a 2 year warranty in the US (may differ by country).
Good to know. I imagine it would be similar in Canada. At least I hope. I don't use them as much since getting the Fiio FH3 and iFi Go Link, but they do come in handy.

Jun 15, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #2,198 of 2,202
I'm throwing the BS card, sorry. My wife always complains about faucets leaking and I've been telling her for 30 years to close/shut off gently and see how things last.
Whatever man. Have posted before about these issues on Head-Fi before. Search my posts. My Px8 battery died within months (that is a fact). My Px7 S2 headband came apart (another fact). Believe what you want.

If you are trying to suggest that I somehow abused my Px7 S2, it actually had pretty light use as I only used it for commuting 2-3 days per week. I have plenty of other headphones/IEMs/TWS that lasted years. My first pair of headphones in this hobby that required an actual amp (and got me started down this rabbit hole) was the AKG K701s. I later purchased 2x wired B&W P5s (Gen 1 and S2) for air travel and all three (AKG and 2x B&W P5s) still work today. My DCA Aeon 2 Noire that I preordered at launch works perfectly fine (replaced pads after 2 1/2 years or so despite others having to replace within months due to pads deforming) and I have TWS that I purchased years ago that still work (you can see them in my profile). Have used Shure IEMs for over a decade (still have the SE425, SE535 and 2x SE846, one of which I still use for commuting with the Meze Rai cable that I bought shortly after buying my first pair of SE846) and I have never had issues with the MMCX connectors (although I did have the plastic shells chip or glue come apart on the SE535 and SE425s after years of use for which I gladly paid the repair/replacement cost and Shure was very easy to deal with). I have a Qudelix 5K (no case) that I use with my wired SE846 that I have had since 2020 that still works great. As for bluetooth headphones, my QC35 IIs still work after 3 1/2 years (wife still uses them everyday). My recent B&W purchases seem to have some quality control or design issues as they did not make it past the warranty period. You can find many posts about similar issues online. Note, I am not saying B&W is the only one that has these issues. For example, my Sony Linkbuds stopped holding a charge after 13 months (i.e. one month after the warranty expired) and my Shure Aonic 50 headband snapped after 2 1/2 - 3 years (Aonic 50s were my favorite in terms of bluetooth headphones but they actually stayed at home due to nonexistent ANC amd bulky form factor).

I am not really sure what you meant to accomplish with your post (other than trolling anonhmously bebhind a keyboard on the internet) or what the point of the analogy to your wife and the kitchen faucet was since the issue I had with my Px7 S2 appears to be a design or QC issue (plenty of people on the Px8 thread have had similar headband issues and there are similar cases of headbands and earcups on the Px7 S2 falling apart on Reddit). Further, I am not your wife and yoj do not even know me. Btw, I just replaced my kitchen faucet because, after 7 years of constant use, it felt loose. Didn't cost much...called my plumber and he sent someone the same day. Don't like how she shuts off the water? Do the dishes yourself. Doesn't hurt to try to be more helpful.

As an update, my Px7 S2s, after some back and forth with B&W customer support (5 or so emails within a day with three different people), B&W did provide a prepaid shipping label (thank you B&W customer support!) and they are on their way back to United Radio. They were much quicker and easier to deal with this time around even though 3 different people did send me emails and some of their emails had conflicting information regarding whether or not they provide a shipping label (in the end they did send one and it worked). Hopefully the rest of the process goes smoothly. They offered an exchange pdetty quickly based on the pictures I sent after verifying I will give them credit for that and now I wait.

Jun 24, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #2,200 of 2,202
As an update, my Px7 S2s, after some back and forth with B&W customer support (5 or so emails within a day with three different people), B&W did provide a prepaid shipping label (thank you B&W customer support!) and they are on their way back to United Radio. They were much quicker and easier to deal with this time around even though 3 different people did send me emails and some of their emails had conflicting information regarding whether or not they provide a shipping label (in the end they did send one and it worked). Hopefully the rest of the process goes smoothly. They offered an exchange pdetty quickly based on the pictures I sent after verifying I will give them credit for that and now I wait.
FedEx dropped off my replacement Px7 S2e today (credit to FedEx since they somehow knew it was supposed to be delivered to me despite B&W using my old and now incorrect city state and zip...but I digress...).

Very impressed with B&W's response time this time around. Perhaps I got lucky but the turnaround time from when they received my headphones to when they shipped one back was only a few days and the whole process took less than 2 weeks from when I contacted them to today.

Px7 S2 looks brand new and came in a sealed retail box with all accessories. Thanks to everyone at B&W who helped with this.

Attachments

• PXL_20240624_153714538~2.jpg
    PXL_20240624_153714538~2.jpg
    739.7 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240624_154047433.jpg
    PXL_20240624_154047433.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240624_154136526.jpg
    PXL_20240624_154136526.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Jun 26, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #2,202 of 2,202
Just purchased the PX7S2E from B&W directly for $229, refurbished.

I previously went through two versions of the B&W PX8, first defective and second one perfect. But I could not get onboard with their sound quality. GREAT construction and build quality, beautiful to look at, but a bloated mid-bass that cut into the midrange, the mids had a weird recessed quality, and the highs were odd and compressed. I know I'm in the minority on the sound of the PX8 but I am also a long time audiophile and hobbyist with a huge collection of headphones, in ears, wired and bluetooth of all sorts including planar dynamic, electrostatic, dynamic, etc. Shure, Stax, Audeze, HiFiMan, Sennheiser, etc etc etc.

So I shipped the PX8s back a long while ago. Decided to try the PX7S2E model as it's an update to the PX7S2, based on some learnings of the PX8, with redesigned DSP and sound processing. Just received them today from B&W. Yes, they are sold as refurbs but the item comes as if it were brand new in a sealed box, showing absolutely zero signs of usage and with everything in the box as if it were brand new. I suspect these are simply overstock that B&W is looking to unload that were never sold in the first place.

That all said, I have to say I'm very pleased with the sound quality so far, with a couple of small caveats. The bloated mid-bass does not exist in these cans and I find the overall frequency curve much more neutral than the PX8. Deep bass is slightly boosted per the Harman curve but very appropriately and pleasantly so. The mids are a bit more forward and balanced than the PX8. The highs are what I would call flatter and less compressed than the PX8...but a hair more "metallic" sounding than the PX8. Perhaps that changes when these are "broken in"....time will tell. That is my only caveat on sound quality so far. I found the PX8 to be rather "closed in" on width and depth (some call it soundstage but I'd argue that no headphone truly has soundstage as defined in the audiophile world), so comments I've read that say this PX7S2E lack width and depth don't hold water to me. If anything they are better than the PX8.

I'd take these over the PX8 any day of the week given their greater neutrality and given that the mid-bass hump doesn't get in the way of everything else.

The only other caveat I'd have is that the headband and earpads are what appear to be artificial leather rather than the real thing on the PX8s. To be expected at this lower price point. Otherwise, the build quality and aesthetics of these are very similar to the PX8, and the only other significant difference is the cloth as opposed to leather covering on the outside of the earcups. Simply exquisite at this price point.

In spite of other reviews, I find these sound better, more neutral and more engaging than the PX8s and the build quality is excellent. Equally comfortable as well, with the exception of the leather. The midbass on the PX8 was so offputting and excessive to me on so much of the music I listen to (acoustic jazz) that I just could never enjoy them. Listening to an acoustic stand up bass as part of a small jazz combo was just awful and bled into so much of the rest of the frequency curve. Solved here with the PX7S2E. Faster, tighter, more neutral bass.

There is no "adaptive ANC" on these, another bit of cost cutting. It's either on, off or transparency mode. Not an issue for me. I almost always run my ANC headphones on ANC Max.

All in all, I'll take these at this price over the PX8 any day of the week. I'd take them regardless for purposes of sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back