Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Oct 10, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #136 of 2,191
side notes:

The PX7 is not recognized by the Bowers & Wilkins Bluetooth utility.
When first turning on the PX7, the Noise Canceling is on by default. just like the Sony WH-1000xM3, however it remembers you had it off , on the next power up.
The PX7 has voice prompts this time., but doesn't announce the connected devices by name like the Bose QC-35.
The imaging and sound stage is very good for a closed back wireless headphone.
The power button is a switch rather than a rocker like the PX. It does feel a little flimsy.
The PX7 comes with a 3.5-4ft USB cable. That may not seem like a big deal, but consider that 95% of headphones are including a useless 6 inches of cable these days.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #138 of 2,191
there is a newer version of the app called “headphones” from B&W with a grey icon.
This app is specifically for the new PX7 and its new siblings.

Yes I was referring to windows desktop app that works with the P5 , P7 wireless and PX.

Oct 10, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #139 of 2,191
Spent about an hour last night with my new PX7s. I really liked the sound. It definitely is warmer than I recall the PX sounding but it makes for a very relaxed and easy going listening. Yet, the bass is solid without being muddy. And best yet it doesn’t degrade with the ANC on! Soundstage is nothing to write home about but with the warmth it gives an intimate presentation. Instrument separation is good and as well as detail like the decay of a guitar strum or piano chord.

I didn’t notice much difference in SQ cycling from ANC low, auto to high. The comfort is excellent. I couldn’t stand the PX after 10 min of wear. I suspect the ANC is pretty solid as I could barely here my kids/tv in the background but the true test will come on my upcoming 4 hr flight on Tuesday. If these are 80% in NC of my Sony XM3s, they’ll be a keeper.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019 at 5:59 AM Post #141 of 2,191
These are fantastic! I tried to move to true wireless earbuds after owning a few over the ears ANCs (due to the bulk while traveling), but could not find anything decent sounding (the Sennheiser MTW by far the best - but terrible battery). These are my ticket for a few years until true wireless ANC options are more “refined”.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #142 of 2,191
Waiting on a real review of the PX7's. The one guy that did the comparison video to the Bose 700s said the B&W's were "slightly" better sound quality which is insane. I love my Bose QC35s but the sound quality isn't in the same time zone as my B&W P7s.

Around the 3:00 - 3:10 mark. Almost fell out of my chair.

He said they are slightly better in the low end (not in general). This is a better review

Sound quality is at 21:10

Oct 11, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #143 of 2,191
Spent about an hour last night with my new PX7s. I really liked the sound. It definitely is warmer than I recall the PX sounding but it makes for a very relaxed and easy going listening. Yet, the bass is solid without being muddy. And best yet it doesn’t degrade with the ANC on! Soundstage is nothing to write home about but with the warmth it gives an intimate presentation. Instrument separation is good and as well as detail like the decay of a guitar strum or piano chord.

I didn’t notice much difference in SQ cycling from ANC low, auto to high. The comfort is excellent. I couldn’t stand the PX after 10 min of wear. I suspect the ANC is pretty solid as I could barely here my kids/tv in the background but the true test will come on my upcoming 4 hr flight on Tuesday. If these are 80% in NC of my Sony XM3s, they’ll be a keeper.
Are you comparing the soundstage to open backs or other ANC or Bluetooth headphones. All the reviews I read stated they have possibly the largest soundstage out of all the ANC headphones.

Have you heard any other ANC headphones with a larger soundstage than these?

Oct 11, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #144 of 2,191
Are you comparing the soundstage to open backs or other ANC or Bluetooth headphones. All the reviews I read stated they have possibly the largest soundstage out of all the ANC headphones.

Have you heard any other ANC headphones with a larger soundstage than these?
To be clear, I meant width like the performers are on stage I didn’t find all that dramatic. Depth is excellent and like I said the instrument separation is fantastic. It’s a warm headphone but not boring.

Oct 11, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #146 of 2,191
He said they are slightly better in the low end (not in general). This is a better review

Sound quality is at 21:10

Under the audio advice video, Mr. Scott Newnam (reviewer) commented:
Now that I've had the PX7s for over a week, I have done even more listening and gotten the opportunity to take both the PX7s and 700s on a trip to Nashville (which is becoming an incredibly fun town for music lovers) and really put them through their paces. I did a few key listening sessions including Dave Matthews' Best of What's Around and Sting's Shape of My Heart. First, the 700s have a brighter sound signature than the PX7s. It is sort of a classic bose sound with the highs and lows generally over-indexed vs the midrange. The PX7s present a wider sound stage and are less bright and have slightly deeper base. You will hear with the PX7s a broader presentation of lower frequencies across the board. This is most obvious in tracks where there are a lot of instruments playing at once with many frequencies represented (really clear in the Dave Matthews Track). In terms of noise canceling, I tested both in the terminal, on the plane, and walking the streets of Nashville taking business calls. While there were differences in the noise canceling, they both performed generally well in most environments. The PX7s had a slight advantage when I was walking on streets talking (I got less people on conference calls asking me to mute if there was wind and other background noise). But honestly, both are pretty good and give you the ability to toggle through different levels of cancelation. I will say that I found the Bose bluetooth connection annoying. There were several times that it just did not connect correctly and I had to remove it and reconnect. I have not had this problem with the PX7s. I also did a little comparison of the PX7s against the original PXs. The main advantages of the PX7s are: i) better noise cancelation, slightly deeper base, and they are lighter. After more than a week of comparing the 700s and the PX7s, big advantages of the PXs is that their ability to pause the music when you take them off, play when they go back on, go into standby on their own and general bluetooth management/connection is really helpful for a traveler. I found myself constantly fiddling with the Bose to make sure they were turned off or on and to reconnect them, etc. Hope this more detail is helpful. We will be adding all of this additional info to the full review at www.audioadvice.com. So if you are ever looking for more info than you see in our first look videos, the online reviews on our site will always have the newest and complete information.

Oct 11, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #150 of 2,191
" warm boosted bass and rolled of highs" according to the PX7 reviews so far

Pff, that was what I was afraid of. Majortiy of the new headphones are being tuned with this signature. I am sad to see that B&W chose this route as well but I understand them because most of the new generation consumers' music taste is "nothing but bass hip-hop, rap, EDM" and they must please the mainstream consumers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back