Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Oct 10, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #121 of 2,191
Okay guys, I think we shoud talk about the actual product which is what most of us care. Maybe I am a short term minded person :ksc75smile: but I am hyped for the sound, ANC and comfort rather than being able to replace the battery a year later.

Oct 10, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #122 of 2,191
Here’s a couple of updates to my tweet:

https://twitter.com/bowerswilkins/status/1182313640449515521?s=21

So, it seems that the amazon response was correct in that it is replaceable at a service center, but just not by the user.

But they won’t tell me any details about this process : https://twitter.com/bowerswilkins/status/1182322865376563200?s=21

Also, I realize this might not be the most important aspect of this headphones, but it may be a dealbreaker to me...besides the fact that you can’t use these headphones at all when they run out of battery on the go, essentially it is possible these headphones will become useless to me in a few years, which in my opinion is unacceptable for a $400 product. I understand for something like $150 AirPods but at $400 it might just push me to a competitor’s product.

Oct 10, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #123 of 2,191
possible these headphones will become useless to me in a few years, which in my opinion is unacceptable for a $400 product. I

Relax mate, the headphone should last for at least 3 years with proper usage and if something happens you can always send it to B&W service. Don't care about the future that much, just have fun with the headphone.

Oct 10, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #126 of 2,191
Relax mate, the headphone should last for at least 3 years with proper usage and if something happens you can always send it to B&W service. Don't care about the future that much, just have fun with the headphone.
I get where you're coming from with this comment (attachment etc.). But we've seen it in the past where products have no longer been supported by manufacturers. The beauty of headphones is that they can also serve as vintage gear. I still have my Sennheiser HD 25-1 II, my P7s, and other headphones. I would accept losing the ANC and bluetooth function over time, but once support for the PX7 stops and the battery runs out, you'll have a glorified paperweight.

Oct 10, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #127 of 2,191
So far my impressions of the PX7 tell me that it is a downgrade in many aspects:
  1. "Carbon Fiber", lets call it plastic... Compared to the aluminum of the PX, it looks cheap
  2. No ballistic nylon
  3. Pleather instead of real leather
  4. Non-magnetic ear cups
For all of these downgrades, the sound must be way way better than the PX to justify the price. I have the PX v.2 (came with hard case and ear cups are softer) and question the value of upgrading to the PX7, can anyone pitch in on the major advantages of this new model vs the PX? I find my PX v.2 comfortable, so that alone doesn't do it for me. And for weight advantage, the PX7 is just 7.5% lighter, the PX7 weigh in at 310g, whereas the PX's weigh in at 335g, making a difference of 25g lighter for the PX7's, its not that they are crazy light....
Yeah, it looks like they spent much of the design process in ways to save them money in addition to new features. You would think they could have lowered the price $50 with all the downgrades but you can thank Bose for them not doing that.
I'm extremely happy with my P7 wireless and wouldn't want to replace them with this but I'd would love to have the PX7 for work/office use so I don't look like Thomas Dolby circa 1980.

Oct 10, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #128 of 2,191
I've had them on my head for about 10 mins. These are my first random thoughts. In terms of sound they are different sounding than the P7 wireless, less V shaped. The mids are present and the treble is rolled off a bit. They are also different from the PX. The sound here is warmer and there is a mid bass emphasis. Which sadly reminds of the P9, the worst headphone B&W has ever made. While the recognizable mid bass is present I can't say it is as offensive as the P9 yet. Its only been 15 min of playtime and I haven't really listened to a variety of music. Right now I'm listening to
Beat Infinitum by Neil Cowley
I will say that among all (P7 wireless, P9 and PX, the PX7 are the most comfortable.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #130 of 2,191
I have the PX v.2 (came with hard case and ear cups are softer) and question the value of upgrading to the PX7, can anyone pitch in on the major advantages of this new model vs the PX? I find my PX v.2 comfortable, so that alone doesn't do it for me. And for weight advantage, the PX7 is just 7.5% lighter, the PX7 weigh in at 310g, whereas the PX's weigh in at 335g, making a difference of 25g lighter for the PX7's, its not that they are crazy light....
Could you, on anyone else please elaborate on the 'PX V2"? Are all PX headphones with a hard case V2, and do they come with softer, more comfortable earpads? Is the difference noticeable with regards to the original PX? If so, it might be a better deal with regards to the PX7, especially at current clearout prices. Many thanks!

Oct 10, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #131 of 2,191
TJ Max - thanks for your review. I am debating whether to go from PX to PX7 - how is the high of PX7? Thanks

The highs are there but not prominent. There may be a boost in the lower treble but the higher treble is roll off. It's detailed but It's missing some air and sparkle up there.
Definitely more relaxed than the PX. I was expanding the mid bass to become fatiguing, but so far they are still comfortable.

I just got done listening to Mata Hati by Tohpati Ethnomission
The P9 made this album completely unlistenable. The mid bass was so high that certain instruments were indistinguishable, and the whole experience was painful and fatiguing.
With the PX7 though, there could have been more air in the treble, but there wasn't much to complain about. I enjoyed this listening session with the PX7.

Oct 10, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #133 of 2,191
Could you, on anyone else please elaborate on the 'PX V2"? Are all PX headphones with a hard case V2, and do they come with softer, more comfortable earpads? Is the difference noticeable with regards to the original PX? If so, it might be a better deal with regards to the PX7, especially at current clearout prices. Many thanks!

As far as I know there is no V2. If you've seen a review or an article please let me know. I think its just a repackaging for later releases that includes a hard case this time. Sony did something similar with the MDR-7Z, some initial versions (Japanese release ...) included a case, and some others (US release ...) didn't.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #135 of 2,191
Some side notes
btw, I just ordered a PX7 space gray color and need to sell my PX. Any recommendations on where to sell it?

Well you can offer them on these forums, but I'd suggest holding on to them until after you have evaluated the PX7. You might hate them and want your PX back. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back