Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Oct 13, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #166 of 2,191
I own the Px and though I like the sound, there have are several ergonomic things that annoy me.

The headband causes a sore spot to develop on my head that becomes unbearable after 30mins. Also, the bass quality and quantity is very dependent on getting a good seal. However, that seal is extremely easy to break; wearing glasses is out of the question, and also, every time I move my head downwards or backwards (even slightly), the seal breaks and I lose the bass. I need to be staying perfectly still with my head in the same (very upright) position to get good bass. For a headphone that is designed to be for travel usage this is definately not ideal. Does the PX7 resolve these issues?

Also, for a wireless headphone I believe a very secure fit/clamp such that moving your head about doesn't cause the headphone to slip and slide about out of position on your head is very important. Is the PX7 a secure fit?

I have found the PX7 to be much more comfortable to wear for long listening sessions than my PX headphones, say for three-four hours at a time. I could keep on going beyond 4 hours I think, very easily. I will say the pleather cups would probably be too warm in warm weather.

I do wear glasses, but they have flat, metal temples. So far the seal of the ear pads doesn’t seem to be disturbed as I move my head. The clamping force versus the PX is less, but that is part of the greater comfort level offered by the PX7. I did find I could get a tighter fit by adjusting the ear cups further into the band. Meaning if I was going to be bending over a lot I could get a tighter fit. Of course there is some comfort sacrificed by doing this. My old PX headphones certainly had more lateral clamping force against the sides if my head I don’t do anything but sit, walk, or lay down in over the ear headphones, so I don’t know if my evaluation is useful for active people.

I finally got to check out the noise reduction in a coffee shop today. Loud music playing in the coffee shop, and conversations going on all around me. I was very satisfied with the NR performance. Did it make external noise fo away completely? No it did not. But my music remained enjoyable. BTW I have yet to find headphones as noise deadening as my Bose QC20 earbuds. Meaning the NR is like going into an airless room. If I were flying with screaming babies the Bose be a better solution for loud, constant noise. But you would sacrifice music quality vs. the PX7.

In the coffeeshop today coffee beans being ground did get through the music I was listening to. I did have the B&W headphone app. set on auto, and then on heavy. Auto seemed to respond very well to the changing noise level in the coffee shop without the need to mess with low and high adjustments.

Oct 14, 2019 at 2:14 AM Post #167 of 2,191
Can someone post an in-depth comparison to the P7W sound signature and the MX3 noise cancelling. The sound signature on the P7W is the best of any headphone, period. IMO its not even close. Same can be said for Sony's N/C tech in the MX3. not close. So the question then is, how close is the PX7 to each of these categories? I currently have the MX3 and it is starting to make the same small, annoying creaking sounds when I am walking or moving my head. Albeit this happens occasionally, but it does interrupt my music and it is consistent with what happened to all their previous models. The plastic Sony uses is cheap and doesn't last over time. The N/C on the Sony however is unbelievable, as is the Sound Signature on the P7W. Does the PX7 have at least 80% of both? If so I would consider buying it.

What is P7W ? P7W and PX7 are seperate headphones ?

Oct 14, 2019 at 2:22 AM Post #168 of 2,191
What is P7W ? P7W and PX7 are seperate headphones ?
Yes. The P7W is a B&W headphone from 2015, many on this forum considered it to be the best wireless headphone ever made. The PX7 is the new B&W headphone released this week that I'm hoping is significantly closer to the P7W then it is to the PX, which was straight garbage.

Oct 14, 2019 at 4:50 AM Post #169 of 2,191
I’ve pulled the trigger and ordered these direct from B&W. I’ll be going from P7W to these. I love the P7W but felt too much outside sounds were leaking in while commuting on bus/train. Will post my thoughts after a full week of usage after they arrive.

Oct 14, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #173 of 2,191
I would like to upgrade to these from the PX for the extra comfort, but the pleather ear pads sound disappointing. With all fake leather headphones I have tried I have suffered with serious sweating/heat issues and the PX leather pads are positive in this regard (although still not perfect). I wonder if the non-magnetic attachment system would allow for third party leather/velour pads without affecting the sound signature too much? It sounds like I wouldn't even mind some loss of low frequencies if its really more boosted on these compared to the PX.

Did anyone ever make third party pads for the PX?

Oct 14, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #174 of 2,191
Got mine on Saturday from a local Sevenoaks store.
Really happy with the overall sound quality, and especially how wide the soundstage and the tight bass that provides a lot of clarity. ANC is a bit weaker than in my old Sony XM2, but that is expected and acceptable given the big leap in quality.

One thing that I noticed though is that when wearing the PX7 outside in windy conditions, the ANC fails terribly and I start getting wind noise from the drivers, as if the external mics were picking them up and reproducing through the ambient awareness mode - except that I was in the high ANC setting. I've raised this with B&W through Twitter.

Oct 14, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #175 of 2,191
One thing that I noticed though is that when wearing the PX7 outside in windy conditions, the ANC fails terribly and I start getting wind noise from the drivers, as if the external mics were picking them up and reproducing through the ambient awareness mode - except that I was in the high ANC setting. I've raised this with B&W through Twitter.

This is normal behavior with any ANC, some have it less than others but its still expected and nothing out of the ordinary

Oct 14, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #178 of 2,191
Just saw this on the Amazon page (with a pretty unsatisfying answer) -- has anyone tried this with an iPhone? https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx167Z7FU27X4KW/ref=ask_dp_dpmw_al_hza

If this worked, it might get around the inability to play music with the wire with no charge, assuming the iPhone itself provides some power (?).

* usb-c to usb-c to my macbook pro works when I select the headphones through the Sound settings on macOS to use the headphones;
* using a usb-c to usb-a cable together with a lightning-usb-a adapter wasn't enough for the headphones to appear in my iPhone XS cast options;

Oct 14, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #179 of 2,191
* usb-c to usb-c to my macbook pro works when I select the headphones through the Sound settings on macOS to use the headphones;
* using a usb-c to usb-a cable together with a lightning-usb-a adapter wasn't enough for the headphones to appear in my iPhone XS cast options;
Ah interesting but not completely unexpected. Thanks for trying it out.

Oct 14, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #180 of 2,191

Users who are viewing this thread

Back