Bourbon or Scotch
Nov 11, 2002 at 5:58 AM Post #46 of 108
Quote:

Originally posted by x1lexure
Perhaps you'll realize that you don't either...or you'll continue in your brainless zombie march.

Oh and Ian grow up yourself. Meet some real homeschoolers and get a life other then alcohol and partying.

Hum. How many guys who graduated from college last year were "alcohol-free" ? Were their results particularly oustanding ?
A reasonable consumption of alcohol has never been a problem in your personnal achievment. I really wonder what drink our distinguished members of the government. In most of case, abuse follows another problem, that is there you have to look.

To be true, I don't party so much but having a drink between friends, in a nice place with some good music is priceless (sounds like an ad
wink.gif
). I ve never killed anyone after a glass of wine or even after some scotch (i can't stand the bourbon sorry
biggrin.gif
)

Nov 11, 2002 at 3:12 PM Post #47 of 108
I used to be more into single-malts. My favorites were Cardhu and Blair Athol. However, recently we have been sampling various single barrel bourbons. My favorite is Evan Wiliams' single barrel. It has the advantage of being one of the least expensive also.

Oh and X1, do you happen to be related to Jerry, Pat or the other Pat?

Nov 11, 2002 at 5:48 PM Post #49 of 108
Does anyone know what I mean when I say most scotch tastes too sweet? I don't mean I like that nasty redneck drink, bourbon, made intentionally far too sour, but that only certain scotches have enough taste and warmth in the back of the mouth to be really enjoyable. Far too many taste like cordial. I've noticed the traditional strength (43%) and higher are the least bad, while the ones watered down to meet local sales tax bracket laws (i.e. just about all scotch in Australia) are the worst. It's getting so bad it almost has to be the biggest baddest Islay malt or I just don't like it.

morphsci, do you notice a lot of difference between different batches of the single barrel brands (within the same brand I mean)? Just curious.

Nov 11, 2002 at 6:25 PM Post #50 of 108
Quote:

Originally posted by aeberbach
... morphsci, do you notice a lot of difference between different batches of the single barrel brands (within the same brand I mean)? Just curious.

I have never had more than one batch of a single brand at the same time and I do not trust my palate memory to be able to say much. I do think that the difference between export and non-export batches can be quite significant. Thats why my absolute favorite is the Blair Athol which is not exported off the island. I have to purchase it when I or friends travel to Scotland.

Nov 11, 2002 at 10:42 PM Post #51 of 108
All of this talk has gotten me curious...can someone recommend a GOOD Scotch to a beginner who has been turned off brown liquors in general?

Nothing too expensive either, please. I know I had an Irish once that was older than me, and I didn't mind it at all, but it would be out of my price range if I was paying for it (it was at the house of my previous employer, who plied me with alcohol whenever I went there).

Nov 11, 2002 at 10:58 PM Post #52 of 108
In Oz you're out of luck. Whereas in NY we drink excellent martinis made with Bombay Sapphire you can only buy the watered-down 40% version. Every time I go home to Melbourne I find myself wishing I could just get one decent drink. Johnny Walker black label used to be bottled at 43%, now it's almost always 40. I think the reason is that the importer pays less duty on spirits at 40% (80 proof) or lower. You're going to have to pay for the good stuff.

It used to be that http://www.scotch-whisky.org.uk/ defined scotch whisky (the UK spelling) as 43% or better but it seems they have changed that stance and now state 40%. Probably the members didn't want to have to relabel some of their brands "Whisky Drink" or "Whisky Flavored".

Nov 11, 2002 at 11:20 PM Post #53 of 108
Quote:

Originally posted by aeberbach
In Oz you're out of luck. Whereas in NY we drink excellent martinis made with Bombay Sapphire you can only buy the watered-down 40% version. Every time I go home to Melbourne I find myself wishing I could just get one decent drink. Johnny Walker black label used to be bottled at 43%, now it's almost always 40. I think the reason is that the importer pays less duty on spirits at 40% (80 proof) or lower. You're going to have to pay for the good stuff.

Oh well, we win at beer, guess we had to let you have something
wink.gif

But seriously, I doubt that I personally could taste a 3% difference in alcohol content, so don't worry about that. What's a good brand I can pick up in a bottle shop?

Also, I've had Bombay Sapphire, but it had an odd taste to it I wasn't used to.

Nov 11, 2002 at 11:47 PM Post #55 of 108
This thread really should have been Scotch whisky v. Irish whiskey. Really, I'll admit that Bourbon's for the uncouth. It is American, after all. Tennessee whiskey is also distinctly uncultured.

So is it Jameson or Bushmill's for all the Irishman in the house?

kerely

Nov 11, 2002 at 11:49 PM Post #56 of 108
Quote:

Originally posted by elipsis
Oh well, we win at beer, guess we had to let you have something
wink.gif

the only good beer is belgian. period.
biggrin.gif
and it 's cheap ! but perhaps not outside belgium
frown.gif

BTW, australia has fantastic red wines

Nov 11, 2002 at 11:58 PM Post #57 of 108
elipsis, buy some Lagavulin. Not cheap but you will like it. They can't screw that up, and you can defnitely taste the difference between 40 and 43% - consider a glass of whiskey, you can tell when justa few drops of water have been added. And the Bombay Sapphire was probably that watery 40% stuff, nothing like the real thing.

Nov 12, 2002 at 5:19 AM Post #58 of 108
I've only had one bourbon aside from Beam -- Woodford Reserve (an alum brought half a bottle up for Homecoming). I'm not a big fan of Beam -- I can only drink it if I take shots so I don't have to taste it much. This other stuff was great for sipping, though. Still, I'd prefer Black Label or especially Lagavulin (the best scotch I've had).

My favorite hard alcohol, though, is cognac. I also love Balzash. It comes from Astrakhan, Russia and is a 100-proof alcohol made from various herbs, as well as orange and lemon rind. It's considered very healthful in Russia when put into tea or coffee in small amounts -- I like to drink it on ice with milk, as it tastes a little like kahlua but not as sweet and "sharper," if you know what I mean.

For beer, my favorite is Guinness, but only when it's on tap. I've had it from bottles here in the U.S., but it was just no good. So barring that, some good beers I've had here are Saranac stout and Urquell pilsner (from Plzen, Czech Rep.).

Nov 12, 2002 at 5:21 AM Post #59 of 108
Quote:

Originally posted by x1lexure
I guess someone told on me.

Oh and Bourbon and Scotch...hopefully I won't get thrown out...

Or maybe the mods just wanted to let you know they didn't want this thread to go in the direction you were taking it...I made this just for you. Feel free to go nuts, I'll even join you later:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=19706

OR....maybe not. That got closed fast. I figured it would be a better place than this for vigorous discussion. Oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back