Bought HD598, was dissapointed BUT... (updated impression after 5-10h~ish of use)
Sep 17, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #61 of 136

Quote:
The HD 598 mid's sound kinda "flat", and lows sound kinda "dull", I was hoping for crisp/clear mids, and deep/in depth lows :frowning2:
The Siberia sounds overall a bit flat, but less flat then the 598 in the mids, and it's not very engaging as I was looking for.

I think you may have described them perfectly there as I have seen others say a similar thing about the 598's, just not very engaging, some also say they have no place in the Sennheiser range, which might be going a little too far but still.

Sep 17, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #62 of 136
Seems like they stopped improving already.

Have had enough of this dissapointment, will return them on monday... Guess I'll just have to continue with my cheap siberia :/

Sep 17, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #63 of 136

Quote:
Seems like they stopped improving already.

Have had enough of this dissapointment, will return them on monday... Guess I'll just have to continue with my cheap siberia :/

Wah...?  I thought you were starting to like them.  Well then, perhaps a pair of Beyerdynamics(DT 990) or Ultrasone(HFi-780) might be just the headphones you're looking for.

Sep 17, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #64 of 136
Well, they sound a bit better then my siberia but for 150 euro it's not worth it imo =/, was hoping for more improvement but it's not improving anymore, also my siberia is much more comfterable.

All the time I have my HD 598 on I feel like i wanna grab my siberia and put those on, then it makes me wonder what am I doing with my 598's on =/

Sep 17, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #65 of 136

Quote:
I think you may have described them perfectly there as I have seen others say a similar thing about the 598's, just not very engaging, some also say they have no place in the Sennheiser range, which might be going a little too far but still.

Strange because I thought the HD600/650 were WAY more boring. The HD598 is like a mini-HD800.

Quote:
Well, they sound a bit better then my siberia but for 150 euro it's not worth it imo =/, was hoping for more improvement but it's not improving anymore, also my siberia is much more comfterable.

All the time I have my HD 598 on I feel like i wanna grab my siberia and put those on, then it makes me wonder what am I doing with my 598's on =/

What are you looking for?

Sep 17, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #66 of 136
I'm just looking for good headphones, and the HD 598 dissapointed me very much, I'm putting them back in the box tomorrow to return, hardly any better then cheap 50 euro ones =/

Sep 17, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #67 of 136

Quote:
I'm just looking for good headphones, and the HD 598 dissapointed me very much, I'm putting them back in the box tomorrow to return, hardly any better then cheap 50 euro ones =/

Do you have any idea what you want though? We can recommend headphones, but it would be aimless.

The HD598s are kind of a "safe" headphone.
Other headphones in the same price range aren't necessarily better.

Sep 17, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #69 of 136

Quote:
The HD 598 feels kinda flat in the mids and dull in the lows, they don't feel very vivid.

Have you ever considered trying a closed headphone like a Denon D5000? It seems you want something more fun and with more bass impact.

Sep 17, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #70 of 136

Quote:
Well then, perhaps a pair of Beyerdynamics(DT 990) or Ultrasone(HFi-780) might be just the headphones you're looking for.

Did someone say fun?
biggrin.gif

Sep 17, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #72 of 136
I'd definitely say that the guy's issue is one of sound signature (and comfort) rather than sound quality - personally I've never been a big fan of the Sennheiser brand in general.....personally I've often found with Senn's that you're paying a premium on the Sennheiser name - outside of maybe the flagship HD 800/650/600 sets.

Something like a Beyerdynamic might be exactly what the OP is looking for - equally reputable brand used by professional studios, slightly cheaper than the Sennheiser 598 depending on model, much better built, more comfy, and downright detailed and punch fun sounding most of them! 

Personally I have the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro, but I won't mention them except to say the highs are bright, the bass is thunderous when need be, and the mids are detailed if recessed - but a decent dac and headphone amp with good synergy (always important) will soon cure that!

Sep 17, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #73 of 136

Quote:

The trouble with suggesting headphones with this statement is that the HD598 IS good. They are fairly neutral, sound stage is large, and it's clarity is good without exaggerating treble too much.

Sep 17, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #74 of 136
@Thommohawk - Hmm, sounds very nice, really considering those now.

Are the "circles" inside the earpads completely flat?
The HD 598 have some kind of bump on the side, which really annoys me ear (might sound picky but it's really an annoying bump, my siberia have flat circles and this sits so much more nicely).

@wind016 - I know the HD 598 should be good :S I just don't understand why I don't feel like this then, as I'm no audiophile and the slightest differences shouldn't be to noticeable for me.
It sounds really really dull for me, and I'm not overreacting, sounds very flat also, especially the mids.
I can feel a bit punchy-ness in the bass which I really like tho.

Is the DT 990 Pro open earcufs btw? Since with closed once it gets so steamy on the ears for me :p

Thx a lot for all the replies so far guys, really appreciate it :wink:!!

Sep 17, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #75 of 136
Yes in fact the DT 990 are of an open design.  The DT 990 have a much more treble and bass oriented signature than the HD598.  Which is why I think they'll be perfect for ya.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back