Bought HD598, was dissapointed BUT... (updated impression after 5-10h~ish of use)
Sep 16, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #16 of 136

Quote:
The HD 598 mid's sound kinda "flat", and lows sound kinda "dull", I was hoping for crisp/clear mids, and deep/in depth lows :frowning2:
The Siberia sounds overall a bit flat, but less flat then the 598 in the mids, and it's not very engaging as I was looking for.

You sound like a Grado fan in the making. Grab the SR60s (cheap but good). Bet you like what you hear!

Sep 16, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #18 of 136
I tried from onboard sound and sound card, sound card sounds a bit nicer (I have sound card Club 3D theatron agrippa, which is copy of Auzentech X-Plosion).

Nope, I hear no distort when very loud, only a beep in my ear I hear now :p

Sep 16, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #20 of 136

I am just sharing my experience, he said he has an option to return the headphone so he can test other brands.
You really have to try different cans until you are satisfy with the sound signature.

Quote:
This isn't helpful advice. It's possible he LOVES the Sennheiser house sound, but doesn't realise it yet because he's watching 240p youtube videos of rock concerts recorded on a mobile phone. We need more information before reaching any conclusions.

Sep 16, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #21 of 136
I tried the sound samples from you Lord Soth, to be honest I can't notice a bit difference between the siberia and the hd 598 :S, I'm trying hard to notice a difference, and have volume up quite loud but I can't really tell a difference.

edit: Finally found edit button :p sorry for double post before.

I could maybe say the HD 598 have a little bit better sound in the sound samples, but it's also possible that this is in my head because I'm thinking all the time that the HD 598 should be better :p

Sep 16, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #24 of 136
Quote:
I tried from onboard sound and sound card, sound card sounds a bit nicer (I have sound card Club 3D theatron agrippa, which is copy of Auzentech X-Plosion).

Nope, I hear no distort when very loud, only a beep in my ear I hear now :p

If the card is 7.1 which port do you plug the headphones into, I would think Front Out? If so do you have to set the card to output 2.0 or 2.1, otherwise you're missing Rear Out and Subwoofer Out correct?

Sep 16, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #25 of 136
Quote:
I don't wanna give up so fast Nick :p I'm trying hard to start liking these more.

Also I hear something about 100 hour burn-in or something what is this exactly?

Some (actually many) people believe that audio equipment fresh from the factory haven't warmed up their mechanical and electronic muscles yet. So to sound at their best, you need to to warm them up or some calling it burning in.

Sep 16, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #26 of 136
Quote:
ooohh.."steelseries siberia" ...very interesting name...I'm gonna google it now...

Good looking headphones they are...remind me of AKG ones.
Question: are these better than the Razer game headset? If yes, I will get my friend a pair for his birthday. The earpads on his Razer are really worn out....although I suppose I could get him new earpads only haha

Sep 16, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #27 of 136
I have it plug in to the Front out, also I configured them correctly in windows.

I don't think Razer headset is good, I hear many complaints from this, the Steelseries Siberia is really good for the money imo, Steelseries Siberia v1 is open and Siberia v2 is closed, also they have different mic so look into that. - Build quality is also solid from the siberia, I let it drop often and it banged to the floor quite a few times when my leg was stuck on the cord or something and it has never complained! :p (Build quality looks a lot tougher then the HD 598 for sure.

I'm so wondering what to do now, some people tell me buy an amp for the HD 598, or maybe should I just return it and buy a grado or something, or try it longer? :/

Sep 16, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #29 of 136
Quote:
I have it plug in to the Front out, also I configured them correctly in windows.

I'm so wondering what to do now, some people tell me buy an amp for the HD 598, or maybe should I just return it and buy a grado or something, or try it longer? :/

You have an amp in your soundcard, and if it doesn't distort at volume it likely isn't an amping issue.

What player do you use? One way to know if you've got your card setup correctly is to run bit-perfect.

Download Foobar if you aren't already using that, setup Wasapi and go from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back