Blue Circle USB Thingee
Jul 7, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #31 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm wondering too. I may end up getting one to compare with my UD 10.1 but haven't yet. To be honest its kind of a pain to have to disconnect the battery pack and connect it to the charger, then disconnect it again to reconnect to the UD 10.1 so thats why I'm considering getting the Thingee

I now have a Thingee incoming...........

What I would like to know regarding the UD10 is whether the battery pack is necessary for a better sound if it is only used to convert USB to coax?

USG

d-_-b

Jul 7, 2008 at 6:37 AM Post #32 of 149
well I liked it better than the Hag only when using the battery pack, without it they sounded pretty much the same. I was using coax for awhile with the UD10 because my 840C didn't have AES digital input. That was SQ wise though, the UD10 wins just because it has every single connection on it while the Hag you had to choose either AES or SPDIF

Jul 8, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #33 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well I liked it better than the Hag only when using the battery pack, without it they sounded pretty much the same. I was using coax for awhile with the UD10 because my 840C didn't have AES digital input. That was SQ wise though, the UD10 wins just because it has every single connection on it while the Hag you had to choose either AES or SPDIF

It'll be interesting to see how the Thingee performs, straight out of my laptop and from a powered hub....

USG

Jul 11, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #34 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I now have a Thingee incoming...........
d-_-b

So did you get it yet?
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #36 of 149
Not to pee on the cornflakes but did anyone notice that Blue Circle is a big advertiser on GoodSound? I would be real skeptical that there would be THAT much difference in SQ when going thru the Thingee to an outboard dac compared to the same signal going thru the Hagtech to the same outbaord dac unless BC has really discovered a way to dejitter or do some other magic to the bitstream. What do they have against Hammond cases? Maybe it's the spooge that makes it sound better.

Jul 17, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #39 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by skeptic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad to hear it USG! So what's the out of box verdict?

Hi Skeptic

My first impression is: Looks bad, sounds good !

It doesn't' bring my laptop kit up to Stello-GS-1 level but it sure gets everything out of the Constantine that the Constantine has to give..... and that's saying a lot.

I'll be able to talk about it more after I've listened to it for a while.

I have it hooked up with a short Dayton optical cable that I had laying around and slapped some electrical tape over the ridiculously bright red LED.
biggrin.gif
(amped with an M^3into '03 880s)

USG

Here are some of the first pics...

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Jul 18, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #42 of 149
it looks even worst then the pics on their website. Looks like a diy casing for the really lazy or plumber... did they put silicone in the middle or maybe window caulk? and the blue target logo adds the finishing touch.

Jul 18, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #43 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by keyid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it looks even worst then the pics on their website. Looks like a diy casing for the really lazy or plumber... did they put silicone in the middle or maybe window caulk? and the blue target logo adds the finishing touch.

It doesn't feel very heavy so I think the middle is empty.
biggrin.gif

But as I said earlier, looks bad, sounds good !!!
biggrin.gif

USG

Jul 18, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #44 of 149
Where do you buy one? I've seen lots of articles on this but haven't found a seller.

Jul 18, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #45 of 149

Users who are viewing this thread

Back