Blue Circle USB Thingee
Jan 3, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #136 of 149

Quote:
Quote:

Ah!
biggrin.gif

Well, I'd say that this "thingee" is the current bottleneck in your rig. Now enough w/ the threadcrap, didn't mean to interrupt.

Regardless....the rule of thumb "if it sounds good it is good" very much holds.
tongue.gif

While the Hiface has been reported as making SQ worse...or at best no effect whatsoever.
wink.gif

By your advice I have one now :) and I really really like the design and the SQ. Because of the fact that I own also a HiFace I can compare them directly later because I need a further coax cable :)

Jan 3, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #137 of 149

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ah!
biggrin.gif

Well, I'd say that this "thingee" is the current bottleneck in your rig. Now enough w/ the threadcrap, didn't mean to interrupt.

Regardless....the rule of thumb "if it sounds good it is good" very much holds.
tongue.gif

While the Hiface has been reported as making SQ worse...or at best no effect whatsoever.
wink.gif

By your advice I have one now :) and I really really like the design and the SQ. Because of the fact that I own also a HiFace I can compare them directly later because I need a further coax cable :)

Glad you like the BCT Thingee. I look forward to your Hiface and Thingee impressions.

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #138 of 149

Quote:

I've got a nasty nocebo against anything that's in the signal path and isn't galvanically isolated and running off a discrete linear regulated PSU. I haven't heard the Hiface BTW, nor do I plan to...I don't enjoy listening to a stellar ripple computer PSU.

Actually, both the "Thingee" and its big brother, the BCT USB "Tunnel" are galvanically isolated, according to both the manufacturer and reviewers.  (See, e.g., http://www.goodsound.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=162:blue-circle-audio-usb-tunnel-2496-digital-converter&catid=56:equipment-reviews&Itemid=37 )

In any event, my experience mirrors the other positive comments in this thread.  The "Thingee" is a damn fine digital transport, particularly given its modest used price.  I picked mine up from Baka back in February, and it has far exceeded my expectations since day 1.  I'm running digital coax out one end to my dac / amp / HD800's and toslink out the other to my marantz HTR.  To my ears, it is a much better transport than either my arcam or the x-fi in my desktop computer.  My only minor complaint is its inability to handle high resolution files.

Jun 20, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #139 of 149

Quote:

Actually, both the "Thingee" and its big brother, the BCT USB "Tunnel" are galvanically isolated, according to both the manufacturer and reviewers.  (See, e.g., http://www.goodsound.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=162:blue-circle-audio-usb-tunnel-2496-digital-converter&catid=56:equipment-reviews&Itemid=37 )

In any event, my experience mirrors the other positive comments in this thread.  The "Thingee" is a damn fine digital transport, particularly given its modest used price.  I picked mine up from Baka back in February, and it has far exceeded my expectations since day 1.  I'm running digital coax out one end to my dac / amp / HD800's and toslink out the other to my marantz HTR.  To my ears, it is a much better transport than either my arcam or the x-fi in my desktop computer.  My only minor complaint is its inability to handle high resolution files.

I agree with you concerning the sound quality :)

Concerning the bold characters the "Tunnel" will help even though it doesnt have a headphone out and a RCA out, two options I highly appreciate :)

BTW: My second Thingee is ordered :)

Jun 20, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #140 of 149

Quote:
I agree with you concerning the sound quality :)

Concerning the bold characters the "Tunnel" will help even though it doesnt have a headphone out and a RCA out, two options I highly appreciate :)

BTW: My second Thingee is ordered :)

Hi monoE

Please report back on the differences between your original Thingee and the 'Tunnel'.

Thanks

USG

Jun 20, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #141 of 149

Quote:
Hi monoE

Please report back on the differences between your original Thingee and the 'Tunnel'.

Thanks

USG

I dont have the Tunnel. The specs are taken from the BCA homepage. One reason that I dont have it is that I only have a few files in the HiRes format and the second as mentioned the more practically options of the Thingee. At the end I will use one Thingee with my new DAC and the Cantate.2 and my netbook and the other one at work connected via USB and then to the Stepdance. This is my idea right now :) :)

Jun 20, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #142 of 149

Quote:
I dont have the Tunnel. The specs are taken from the BCA homepage. One reason that I dont have it is that I only have a few files in the HiRes format and the second as mentioned the more practically options of the Thingee. At the end I will use one Thingee with my new DAC and the Cantate.2 and my netbook and the other one at work connected via USB and then to the Stepdance. This is my idea right now :) :)

IC, I thought you ordered the Tunnel as your second Thingee.  My understandinng is that it is an async transport, and might make a difference over the old 2702 version.

Jun 20, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #143 of 149

Quote:

IC, I thought you ordered the Tunnel as your second Thingee.  My understandinng is that it is an async transport, and might make a difference over the old 2702 version.

No, I will have two Thingees. But you may ask Gilbert from BCA to get details about the Tunnel, even though details are very rarely to get :) :)

Jun 20, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #144 of 149

Quote:
No, I will have two Thingees. But you may ask Gilbert from BCA to get details about the Tunnel, even though details are very rarely to get :) :)

My understanding is that the implementations of the Thingee and the Tunnel have not been made public.

My computer tells me the chip in the Thingee is the 2707, but not how it's implemented.

Jun 21, 2011 at 5:53 AM Post #145 of 149
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue51/usb_converters.htm

Interesting stuff, even if vague a little bit. It seems that non-asynch BC Tunnel and Stello U2 are comparable to some respected asynch USB converters and Diverter even surpasses them. New versions of Stello - U3 and Diverter - 192 go asynchronous way. It remains to be seen whether it will bring substantial improvement.

Dec 18, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #146 of 149
Honestly...I like the looks of this thingee.
BUT
WHERE CAN I GET ONE?
anyone know of a dealer near NYC?
Or anyone looking to sell?

need to know ASAP hoping to nab one for my brother too, xmas and all

Jul 27, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #149 of 149
Wow! It's been quite awhile on this thread but here goes: I have now moved the Thingee to my desktop pc and am using it's headphone out for my flac files and it sounds very good! Clean, natural, detailed and musical just like it was on my 2 channel system. Definitely comparable to the Bryston B60's headphone out. Listening to it via a pair of Nad Viso Hp 50s and am very impressed! Anyways, this oughta keep this thread alive for a few more years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back