Blue Circle USB Thingee
May 26, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #16 of 149
and have been listening all weekend. It is sooo much prettier than the photos, a nice charcoal grey with artistically swirled silicon for the ends. Overall, I'm pleased with it. I'm using the analog outs to my pre-amp or to a headphone amp. It doesn't measure up to my CDP (Arcam CD93), but sounds pretty darn good. That's the only DAC I have, so I can't offer any other comparisons.

It's main purpose in my systems is for web streams of live concert recordings and radio. I thought it would be a versatile item, working as a DAC now, and used as a USB to Coax convertor when I finally get a DAC to replace my CDP.

The headphone out is OK for my Ety ER4s and K501, but sound is much better with an amp. Volume is controlled by the PC volume control for the headphone out.

May 27, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #18 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by m3_arun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In what ways does it not measure up to to the CDP when using the analog outs? Is it a really big difference?

I wouldn't say a really big difference, but a noticeable one. The balance is different and it is not as rich sounding. The thingee sounds like it has more bass, but I think that is because the treble doesn't have the bloom, what I think of as note decay. The violins sound less like real violins. It also doesn't have as much soundstage depth, it's more two dimensional. It still sounds great for the money and for what I want it for.

May 27, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #19 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rlynn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't say a really big difference, but a noticeable one. The balance is different and it is not as rich sounding. The thingee sounds like it has more bass, but I think that is because the treble doesn't have the bloom, what I think of as note decay. The violins sound less like real violins. It also doesn't have as much soundstage depth, it's more two dimensional. It still sounds great for the money and for what I want it for.

i've got a thingee on the way and will report back once I get the chance to try it in various configurations and give it a bit of burn-in time. Looking forward to comparing it to my Paradisea+ via USB and with the digital out. I can also try the thingee direct to my amp. Cool, I've got three ways to test and compare
biggrin.gif

Jun 1, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #21 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by decur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can anyone comment on the usb to spdif conversion of this thingee??
does it lower the noise coming from laptop ??
how does it compare with trends ud-10 or hag usb

The GoodSound review summed it up like this:

"The venerable HagUSB ($129), one of the first USB-to-S/PDIF converters available to the audio community, has provided sterling service for the past few years. It’s been with me so long, and done such a great job of selling PC-based audio to many an audiophile, that it feels almost disloyal to compare it to the far newer Thingee. But such is life. Though it pains me to say so, the venerable HagUSB was outclassed by the Thingee in every way. Whether it was newer-technology chips, the circuit design, the integral filter, or maybe even the pipe (!), the Thingee is the new standard bearer among USB-to-S/PDIF converters."

Jun 13, 2008 at 9:04 AM Post #22 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by decur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can anyone comment on the usb to spdif conversion of this thingee??
does it lower the noise coming from laptop ??
how does it compare with trends ud-10 or hag usb

This question was never answered:

How does the bus powered Thingee compare to the battery powered UD-10.1?

USG

d-_-b

Jun 13, 2008 at 11:23 AM Post #23 of 149
If anyone is interested in a slightly more attractive alternative, or at least one that won't roll away from you, there is always the Trends UD-10...

UD-10_full_01s.JPG

UD-10_back_01s.JPG

...I can't compare it to the thingy, but I can tell you it is dead quiet converts USB to coax/optical/AES-EBU withouth adding or subtracting anything. There is a 16-Bit Burr-Brown DAC in there (PCM 2704) that I've used through a mini phone to RCA cord and it seems to add nothing itself. Some might think it bright because it adds nothing, but I have a warm amp and phones so it works for me. It is very well designed and executed with separate, linear digital, clock and analog paths...

UD-10_Int_02.JPG

$140. Draws its power from USB, but another $18 gets you a super clean rechargable battery outboard psu...

UD-10_bat_01s.JPG

I didn't know about the thingy when I purchased the UD-10, but based on design, I would have picked the UD-10 anyway. YMMV.

USB Audio Converter Description

As a headphone amp, it works fine with my Ety ER6, thins out my Senn HD580s a bit, Volume control is from software.

Tim

Jun 13, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #25 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I to have a Trends UD-10.1. Had a HagUSB before it and have to say the trend's was better, more so when you use the battery pack. Kind of curious how the Thingee would compare with it though.

Hi Ricey

How long does the battery pack last? Batteries are such a pain in the butt, especially when you can't trickle charge them as you go....

A second question would be can you achieve the same thing from a powered USB box? I remember reading that some people were using an external power supply instead of the batteries.... would an powered external USB box be the same as an external power source... same 5 volts, but not from the computer?

USG

d-_-b

Jun 13, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #27 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it lasts for i think 20 hours, haven't really kept track. Hmm it would be nice to have an external power supply for it. Where did you read up on that before?

I'll have to check on where I saw that, but when I was reading about the Thingee last night, somewhere it was mentioned that since the Thingee draws it's power from the USB, and if there are other devices drawing power on that bus, it would benefit from being connected to a powered USB hub.... or something like that.... I'll see if I can find links........

USG

d-_-b

Jun 14, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #28 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As a headphone amp, it works fine with my Ety ER6, thins out my Senn HD580s a bit, Volume control is from software.

Tim

Hi Tim

Out of curiosity, how are you using the Trends? Are you using kernel streaming or ASIO4ALL where the KMixer is bypassed? If you had it to do again, why would you purchase the Trends over the Thingee?

Thanks

Eric

d-_-b

Jul 7, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #30 of 149
I'm wondering too. I may end up getting one to compare with my UD 10.1 but haven't yet. To be honest its kind of a pain to have to disconnect the battery pack and connect it to the charger, then disconnect it again to reconnect to the UD 10.1 so thats why I'm considering getting the Thingee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back