Blu-ray movie discussion thread (pics added - page 1 & 7)
Jul 22, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #91 of 161
I watched Watchmen last night... pretty good movie. I'd give it a 6 or 7 out of 10. I am not familiar with the concept, comics, etc. and did not see this in the theater so I may need a second viewing to decide if I really liked it or if it was ok. The good news is this is a reference title for bluray picture and audio. I found nothing to gripe about, everything just looked and sounded fantastic. Highly recommended for at least a rental to check out the transfer.

Here are some screen caps I swiped from dvdbeaver:

large_watchmen_blu-ray2.jpg

large_watchmen_blu-ray3.jpg

large_watchmen_blu-ray6.jpg

large_watchmen_blu-ray12.jpg

Braveheart

braveheart1.jpg

braveheart2.jpg

braveheart20.jpg

braveheart18.jpg

braveheart4.jpg

braveheart29.jpg

Jul 30, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #92 of 161
Wow, those screen shots of Watchmen look great, i'm going to be watching that tonight on blu.
smily_headphones1.gif

Duplicity Mini-Review:
Movie: 3/5
PQ: 4/5
AQ:4/5
Special Features: 2/5
Overall: 3/5

From the beginning title sequence where characters move in extreme slow motion to the final credits you tend to get the felling that this film thinks that it's a lot more clever then it really is. Everything to its Deus Ex Machina at the end plays to be clever and unpredictable, the problem is in doing so, it often forgets to be fun (it also doesn't help that the characters aren't to clever either). The video quality and audio quality on the other hand is extremely good, though not the best the format has to offer it seems to replicate the intended look of the filmmakers intended. Overall it's a decent package that fans will enjoy, however if you have not seen the film yet I'd recommend renting it before a buy (though the technical merits of the disc are solid).

Jul 31, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #93 of 161
Watched The Fall today... Really didn´t like it. Quite poor story telling. The ending should be in the beginning to start with to explain why the guy is in hospital. I don´t know if I fell asleep somewhere in the first part of the movie but I never understood why he was there and that he was suicidal before they told me so. There was just a cute girl and a bored to death guy telling her stories
wink.gif

Hoped for a lot of good scenes but the only one I really liked was the one with the elephant swimming that made me go wow. I guess I just like animals lol.

Image and sound quality is great... But honestly hoped for more regarding the photography... Rather see 300 again even though it´s just as childish. But the tale it tells is way more interesting and better realized..

Aug 1, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #94 of 161
Listening to Chris Biottis bluray now. It´s a bit elevator music like Diana Krall so far but the sound quality is amazing and very crisp picture as well!

Aug 2, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #95 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Listening to Chris Biottis bluray now. It´s a bit elevator music like Diana Krall so far but the sound quality is amazing and very crisp picture as well!

Which one? There are two of them aren't there?

Aug 2, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #96 of 161
Just watched Ghostbusters. Typical from what I've seen of hi-res takes on old movies, there is definitely a graininess and inconsistency in sharpness from shot to shot not seen in most more modern flicks. However, most of the special effects held up really well. Definitely dug the audio as well. All in all, for $8 from Amazon, I am quite satisfied!

Aug 2, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #97 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which one? There are two of them aren't there?

This is with a full orchestra, Sting, Gladys del pilar, burt bacharach and several. Biotti himself is scary I think he is a vampire lol.. Just looks thirsty for blood and there is a similar character in vampire bloodlines
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #98 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just watched Ghostbusters. Typical from what I've seen of hi-res takes on old movies, there is definitely a graininess and inconsistency in sharpness from shot to shot not seen in most more modern flicks. However, most of the special effects held up really well. Definitely dug the audio as well. All in all, for $8 from Amazon, I am quite satisfied!

Is Ghostbusters region locked?

Aug 2, 2009 at 10:54 AM Post #99 of 161
does any one here have the celin dion concert? I get distortion with my headphones which I don´t get with my speakers. Not sure if it´s my headphones going bad though or it´s something with my DAC. But it plays fine otherwise so it shouldn´t be the headphones I believe.

I have trouble getting the analogue outs to play on my receiver for unknown reason. Get no volume at all from zone 2 so I have tried using my Keces DAC which I hope hasn´t turned bad or something.

Sound quality is superb otherwise even though she is almost singing to perfect. Not much live feeling. Either she is a robot or it´s a lot of playback
wink.gif
But well it would be nice if there is distortion on that concert or it´s something else in my chain.

Aug 2, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #100 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hoping for at least an upgrade in PQ from the DVD and no tampering. This is a classic in my book.. horror and cheese rolled into several short stories. The Crate holds a special place in my heart because it gave me nightmares for a good two weeks after seeing it the theater.

"Just call her Billy, everyone does..."

thcreepshow_crate011.gif

oqvist - It's "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" and it is a fairly grainy picture that may look "noisy" at times but seems to maintain the way it was originally presented in theaters. Excellent movie!

Wait CS on BR!!!!!!!!!! I can hold my breath a looooooooooong time!!!!!!!

Aug 3, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #101 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I watched Watchmen last night... pretty good movie. I'd give it a 6 or 7 out of 10. I am not familiar with the concept, comics, etc. and did not see this in the theater so I may need a second viewing to decide if I really liked it or if it was ok. The good news is this is a reference title for bluray picture and audio. I found nothing to gripe about, everything just looked and sounded fantastic. Highly recommended for at least a rental to check out the transfer.

Definitely among the top bluray releases I have seen thus far: excellent picture and audio quality.

Aug 3, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #102 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does any one here have the celin dion concert? I get distortion with my headphones which I don´t get with my speakers. Not sure if it´s my headphones going bad though or it´s something with my DAC. But it plays fine otherwise so it shouldn´t be the headphones I believe.

I have trouble getting the analogue outs to play on my receiver for unknown reason. Get no volume at all from zone 2 so I have tried using my Keces DAC which I hope hasn´t turned bad or something.

Try having your player decode the audio if you haven't already, maybe your dac isn't compatible with the codec being used.

Aug 4, 2009 at 8:29 AM Post #104 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would I go about telling (not something I've paid attention to before)?

Even if it is, that's where AnyDVD HD comes in
wink.gif

I use a ps3 to play my movies, so I can only play region B or region free blu's. The movie is region free (the back cover usually says).
normal_smile .gif

Aug 7, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #105 of 161
I've seen Ghostbusters when browsing titles on amazon.uk so I think you're good but you can always ask google
tongue.gif

I'm watching True Blood season 1 right now... totally hooked on tis show! Nothing really impressive about the audio of picture but I am very much enjoying the music and already downloaded some stuff from it.

Ghostbusters does not offer up the level of definition that will show off your display but at least they were truthful to the presentation of the original and maintained the grain and grit that was present in theaters. I was also impressed with the audio... easily the best this title has ever looked or sounded.

kool bubba ice - Oh yeah man, Sept is going to hurt!
9/1
Gladiator steelbook (UK)
Braveheart

9/8
Creepshow
Silverado

9/15
An American Werewolf in London
Van Helsing
Wrong Turn

9/28
Payback (Theatrical Cut - UK)