Blu-ray movie discussion thread (pics added - page 1 & 7)
Jul 11, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #76 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DNR was not used for artistic purposes in the golden compass

From memory the entire film had DNR applied to help create an unreal quality which I remember reading the director did to help in establishing a different world. Was it done for reasons other then artistic reasons? 300 is another film that has DNR applied as whilst Synder wanted alot of grain, he found that when he shot at ISO500 he had to much, so DNR was applied.

Jul 11, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #77 of 161
the grain in 300 was added digitally... any DNR applied might have been to the original green screen footage for a number of reasons (one of them would be to keep the grain consistent in the final product)

as for TGC the level of DNR applied was so light it had minimal impact on the image and certainly wouldn't create an "unreal look" the only thing that happened is some of the fine detail was lost along with a subtle difference in the grain... which i might add was only ever noticed when someone compared the bluray to a trailer from another bluray so i can't even begin to comment on if the DNR was present in the version i saw at the theater since the difference is so subtle

however DNR did happen to a much worse level on a few other new line titles (hairspray is DNRed to the point that all facial detail is smoothed away, pan's labyrinth is borderline wax museum, dark city is just completely unacceptable)

Jul 12, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #78 of 161
300 was shot with film, hence grain is present (though 'digital' grain was also digitally added to the cgi). Still DNR was applied. Fair enough argument with The Golden Compass, but DNR has been applied and it does apear to have been for artistic reasons to my eyes.

We should probably get of the topic of DNR though, or all we shall have soon is a grain, DNR, argument.

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #79 of 161
Weren't there similar complaints about the US release of Sweeney Todd (vs. the UK release) with some "artistic" DNR being applied to the cheek and forehead areas of Sweeney and Ms. Lovett?

I watched Push tonight, the movie was more entertaining than I expected it to be and the PQ was pretty exceptional. Detail was well resolved, never soft and no tampering was evident. Comparing this to my most recent bd title viewed ( The Unborn), Push lacked the infinite sense of depth that I found Unborn to have in most scenes but Push had the hyper detail I would associate with reference bluray titles. Audio was also reasonable impressive. Dialogue was clear and consistent throughout and the track made good use of the surrounds and of course the LFE, as o be expected with this type of title. I'd recommend this for at least a rent, don't expect much more than dumb fun and little eye/ear candy.

Jul 13, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #80 of 161
The Shawshank Redemption. 9$ so it´s forgiven that it doesn´t feature any HD audio tracks and that the special features are a bit to much we are so awesome, best movie yada yada.

The movie itself is superb. Good enough picture to totally rule that out and the the movie was just as good as the first 3 times I watched it so not saying they are wrong
smily_headphones1.gif
. Make me want to get Fellon on bluray as well.

Jul 13, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #81 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Weren't there similar complaints about the US release of Sweeney Todd (vs. the UK release) with some "artistic" DNR being applied to the cheek and forehead areas of Sweeney and Ms. Lovett?

with sweeney todd there is no difference between the UK and US versions... the digital airbrushing was done to the faces of a couple characters and is in ALL releases of the film... it was like that in the theater too

Jul 14, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #82 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
with sweeney todd there is no difference between the UK and US versions... the digital airbrushing was done to the faces of a couple characters and is in ALL releases of the film... it was like that in the theater too

In which case it should be there. I personally fell that the video of Sweeney Todd is reference quality and the audio is close behind (some of the female vocals seem to be ever so slighly to soft).

Jul 14, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #83 of 161
I agree which is why I listed it as a reference title in the first post. The pipe organ in the opening credit sounds just stunning.

Jul 14, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #84 of 161
YES!!!!!! DVD.CO.UK: Blu-Ray - Action Adventure - The New World (Blu-Ray)

If you are looking for action look elsewhere but it´s so god damn beautiful you forget about everything else
smily_headphones1.gif

Otherwise I checked around and maybe dvd.co.uk and play.com are lazy but the majority of the bluray releases doesn´t seem to have HD formats anymore? Not even the music bluray disks like Diana Krall - Live in Paris???

Have they figured out that the average consumer don´t care about audio and such and they can screw us audiophiles?

aaarrrrghh the frustration. I had like 10 films in my list on movies I thought to buy and just saw dolby digital, dolby digital, dolby digital, dolby digital on each and every one!

Jul 14, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #85 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YES!!!!!! DVD.CO.UK: Blu-Ray - Action Adventure - The New World (Blu-Ray)

If you are looking for action look elsewhere but it´s so god damn beautiful you forget about everything else
smily_headphones1.gif

Otherwise I checked around and maybe dvd.co.uk and play.com are lazy but the majority of the bluray releases doesn´t seem to have HD formats anymore? Not even the music bluray disks like Diana Krall - Live in Paris???

Have they figured out that the average consumer don´t care about audio and such and they can screw us audiophiles?

aaarrrrghh the frustration. I had like 10 films in my list on movies I thought to buy and just saw dolby digital, dolby digital, dolby digital, dolby digital on each and every one!

Wow, I don't even remember hearing about that movie... guess I'll have to give it a look. We are starting to see more and more bluray concerts and I've watched a few that looked and sounded pretty damn good but don't own any.

American Werewolf in London has been confirmed for Sept 15th.
popcorn.gif

Jul 14, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #86 of 161
I have a few and it´s amazing... uncompressed audio in 5 channels for live concerts so much better then uncompressed 2 channels it doesn´t exist
smily_headphones1.gif

Has anyone found a homepage with accurate info on what soundtracks bluray movies have?

Jul 15, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #88 of 161
Jul 19, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #89 of 161
Thanks for the links. It turned out all of them did have HD tracks
smily_headphones1.gif

The Phantom of the Opera Bluray edition.
With headphones 8/10, With 5.1 speakers 9/10. With 5.1 speakers and transducer 10/10.

This is surely my new reference movie to show off my home cinema system. Would say you haven´t really seen this movie unless you have a good transducer and a 5.1 system worth anything. I watched it with headphones prior to ermm buying the bluray and it was a total different experience.

The scene where you go from the play box to the overture jeeeeeesus. And it was not like I didn´t knew what was coming since I watched the musical live, listened to the cd a couple of times and as mentioned scene the movie before. I was litterary jumping around in my chair and the sub and speakers just played harder then I ever heard them before and with no distortion too amazing. Pulse was at 180 for a long while after that. I thought I was about to die for some 30 seconds or so.

Superb sound quality as so often with HD audio, great surround mix, great music and great screenplay. I wonder why video to music is opposite as for books? For books you always create the best images in your mind. But for music the music videos or good filmatisations are so often a lot better. Take Lord of the Rings. Superb movies but they still aren´t even close to the books...

As for the extra material a lot of it. I loved they let the cast and crew make the phantom of the opera... It was really horrible to listen to but a great laugh especially since very few looked very comfortable about singing into the camera
wink.gif

Also watched emmys screen test. Had some conspiracy theory it was sarah brightman or someone singing in the background but looks like she´s the real deal from that audition lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back