Blu-ray movie discussion thread (pics added - page 1 & 7)
Jul 4, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #61 of 161
If you are looking for some reference quality nature BD's check out Galápagos and Baraka.

Jul 4, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #62 of 161
I was a early adopter to HD. Bought my 26inch Tube HDTV for 750.00 in 04.. Betters my Fathers 62inch 1080p in Some areas, but as far as, clarity, detail, resolution, it's like living in another world.. Much more impressive looking. I need to upgrade, but will probably get the oppo 83 instead.

Jul 5, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #63 of 161
As for ambient lightning. It should be max 10 % of the level of maximum white. If you have back lighting you don´t need any other ambient light. Back lighting is good especially on LCDs that have a hard time displaying true black but have no problem with brightness
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #64 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are looking for some reference quality nature BD's check out Galápagos and Baraka.

Baraka is taken from 8k film (drools), I wish I could see it in imax.
smile.gif
I have finally got my camera working and shall take some pictures tonight, and add to prior posts for films.

Jul 8, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #65 of 161
Just finished The Unborn, transfer was pretty solid. I did detect some minor DNR, facial textures seemed a little too smooth in some scenes but overall the image was impressive with accurate flesh tones, impressive black levels, and nice depth of image. The AQ was decent, nothing really all that special. Dialogue was pretty consistent and the scary scenes offered up some nice LFE but overall it is not a very dynamic audio track and the score was fairly weak as well.

The movie itself was less impressive than it's transfer, I'd give it a 2/5 and that's generous. Another great potential wasted on poor writing and a PG-13 rating to attract the 15yr old kids dropped of in front of the theater. It did have one good scene part of which was shown in the trailer with a mutated old man crawling (arched up and backwards) down a hallway after an old lady... kinda creepy
popcorn.gif

Jul 8, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #66 of 161
there is no DNR in the unborn...

Jul 8, 2009 at 10:41 AM Post #67 of 161
like in the omen? There is a youtube video of a lady scaring her dog ****less walking like that lol

Jul 8, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #68 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there is no DNR in the unborn...

I noticed some in some scenes but again it was minor.

edit - Just browsing through a few reviews which all seem to give this pretty high marks for PQ but they did seem somewhat mixed. Some reported minor EE in a few scenes and some reported crushed blacks. I did not notice any of this so would probably agree more with the reviewers that did not note such things. As far as the DNR I did not find anyone mentioning it but some commenting on the lack of fine detail in some scenes and one reviewer did say the following:

Quote:

Unborn has issues in darker scenes though, especially during the conversation at the 40 minute mark, where a definite drop in detail causes a murky, sub-par quality to seep into the transfer.

If there was not even minor DNR in this transfer the minor issues noted by others and lack of hyper detail in some scenes threw me for a loop.

Jul 8, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #69 of 161
Watched close encounter by third degree or what it´s called in english. Watched it in kind of an after work coma but it feels like another movie where the directors cut manage to trash it quite a bit. But it was many years since I watched it last time... Still a good movie though. Image quality could be better but it´s an old film and it´s cheap so no big complaints about that.

One thing be careful with your sub. When the big UFOs is in the vicinity the speakers go total bananas... The wind coming from my sub I have never ever noticed before. I had no idea it could do that lol. Quite strong wind too... I got so worried about pushing them to hard I had to reduce the bass in some scenes then bring it back.

Jul 8, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #70 of 161
Hoping for at least an upgrade in PQ from the DVD and no tampering. This is a classic in my book.. horror and cheese rolled into several short stories. The Crate holds a special place in my heart because it gave me nightmares for a good two weeks after seeing it the theater.

"Just call her Billy, everyone does..."

thcreepshow_crate011.gif

oqvist - It's "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" and it is a fairly grainy picture that may look "noisy" at times but seems to maintain the way it was originally presented in theaters. Excellent movie!

Jul 8, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #71 of 161
there's no DNR in the unborn... it's possible to have detail drop because of one of the many other factors in filmmaking

Jul 8, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #72 of 161
Quote:

there's no DNR in the unborn... it's possible to have detail drop because of one of the many other factors in filmmaking

I'm not sure I'm convinced yet but am open to a closer analysis on a second viewing. Just out of curiosity how are you so certain that 0 DNR was applied to any portion of this film? I'm not saying you may not be correct just curious.

When The Thing was ported over to bluray and screen caps were posted over at avs I reported that it looked to have been DNR'd compared to my HD-DVD copy. I had people telling me I was wrong and I started to question myself but then comparison pics started showing up and it was obvious. If I catch something now that looks to fit the DNR characteristics I'd rather make note of it and be proven wrong than give it a pass.

Jul 8, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #73 of 161
because none of the scenes i've looked at with the detail drop have the other characteristics (the big one being missing or inconsistent/clumpy grain... the grain was fairly consistent and never missing/clumpy)

Jul 10, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #74 of 161
Quote:

because none of the scenes i've looked at with the detail drop have the other characteristics (the big one being missing or inconsistent/clumpy grain... the grain was fairly consistent and never missing/clumpy)

Done properly DNR doesn't neccesarilly cause this (though when it is applied for blu it generally does). DNR can also be used for artistic purposes, so its pressence isn't necesarrily a bad thing (a good example of this is The Golden Compass).

Jul 11, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #75 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DNR can also be used for artistic purposes, so its pressence isn't necesarrily a bad thing (a good example of this is The Golden Compass).

DNR was not used for artistic purposes in the golden compass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back