Blu-ray movie discussion thread (pics added - page 1 & 7)
Aug 7, 2009 at 11:46 AM Post #106 of 161
Van Helsing is crap and why release Wrong Turn in bluray? I love the genre and Wrong Turn is definiatly one of the better redneck survival horror movies but I just don´t see how the bluray can help it much
smily_headphones1.gif

You forgot Into the Wild and A new world... Except for gladiator and lord of the rings trilogy that is what I am most hyped about. Gladiator is on total other level of super hype
wink.gif

Aug 7, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #107 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've seen Ghostbusters when browsing titles on amazon.uk so I think you're good but you can always ask google
tongue.gif

I'm watching True Blood season 1 right now... totally hooked on tis show! Nothing really impressive about the audio of picture but I am very much enjoying the music and already downloaded some stuff from it.

Ghostbusters does not offer up the level of definition that will show off your display but at least they were truthful to the presentation of the original and maintained the grain and grit that was present in theaters. I was also impressed with the audio... easily the best this title has ever looked or sounded.

kool bubba ice - Oh yeah man, Sept is going to hurt!
9/1
Gladiator steelbook (UK)
Braveheart

9/8
Creepshow
Silverado

9/15
An American Werewolf in London
Van Helsing
Wrong Turn

9/28
Payback (Theatrical Cut - UK)

And October looks just as expensive!

Gladiator is a dream purchase for me.. Wanted this one in HD since BR came out.. CS is also great.. Still, I want Blade 1 & 2.. Alien. Aliens. Jaws.. Most of the films I want are still not in BR..

Aug 7, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #108 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Van Helsing is crap and why release Wrong Turn in bluray? I love the genre and Wrong Turn is definiatly one of the better redneck survival horror movies but I just don´t see how the bluray can help it much
smily_headphones1.gif

You forgot Into the Wild and A new world... Except for gladiator and lord of the rings trilogy that is what I am most hyped about. Gladiator is on total other level of super hype
wink.gif

Are you not entertained!

Aug 7, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #109 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gladiator is a dream purchase for me.. Wanted this one in HD since BR came out.. CS is also great.. Still, I want Blade 1 & 2.. Alien. Aliens. Jaws.. Most of the films I want are still not in BR..

All three Blade movies are available on amazon.ca but Blade 1 is cropped (thank you Alliance) and none of them have menus or extra features but at least you can have the movies in HD with lossless audio.

The Alien movies have been announced but I don't think there is a date yet... probably will be around the time the prequel is released.

oqvist - Van Helsing is just dumb fun... a good rainy Saturday afternoon flick to have. I enjoyed Wrong Turn and don't own it on dvd... if I like the movie I'm not sure how better PQ/AQ is not a benefit.

Aug 8, 2009 at 10:21 AM Post #111 of 161
Wrong Turn doesn´t really have reference material special effects or anything to show off in HD. Don´t remember the sound being all that good either
smily_headphones1.gif

I am just a cheap person but if I am going to pay for bluray movies way more then what I do with the DVD I will have to get something extra
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 12, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #112 of 161
I've just ordered the dutch blu ray release of The Aviator as it has lossless audio (the only other version that has lossless audio is the french version, but that has forced french subtitles).

This made me wonder, how many here refuse to buy a blu-ray if it does not come with a lossless audio codec? I personally have not bought one that doesn't have lossless audio (though I do have one that I was given). In any case I can't wait to finally have one of my favorite films with a strong 1080p transfer and lossless audio (and yes, I also find it to be easily Martin Scorsese's best movie).

The only new blu-ray I'll pick up in September is Gladiator (though I think that it has been delayed in Aus to October
frown.gif
).

Aug 12, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #113 of 161
I still havent started buying blu-ray discs. I have Band of Brothers (HAD TO BUY THAT!) and one or two movies that sold for cheap. Netflix rental works for me, I'm gonna wait until they get a little cheaper to start building a collection. I just can't justify paying 30$ for a "new release" of an old movie.

Some recent rentals for me

Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Video 10/10 Audio 10/10 (Stunning PQ and sound)

RocknRolla - Video 8/10 Audio 8/10 (Nothing special)

Bourne Ultimatum - Video 8/10 Audio 9/10

Aug 12, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #114 of 161
Quote:

Ghostbusters does not offer up the level of definition that will show off your display but at least they were truthful to the presentation of the original and maintained the grain and grit that was present in theaters. I was also impressed with the audio... easily the best this title has ever looked or sounded.

true to the original in it's lack of DNR and EE but they did boost the contrast... it's the same as the 2005 DVD (just not quite as horrible thanks to the increased resolution and better compression) also there are some questions on color timing of a few shots... for example http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post16733868

Aug 14, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #115 of 161
Quote:

The Ghostbusters blu apparently has a boosted contrast ratio similar to the laserdisc which was corrected for the dvd. So it is not perfect, but it is apparently the best you will likely have seen it.
beerchug.gif

[edit: sorry necropimp I didn't see your post above mine]

Aug 17, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #117 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't wait for Gladiator. One of my favorite movies, with one of my favorite scores!

Are you not entertained.
biggrin.gif

Aug 18, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #118 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
true to the original in it's lack of DNR and EE but they did boost the contrast... it's the same as the 2005 DVD (just not quite as horrible thanks to the increased resolution and better compression) also there are some questions on color timing of a few shots... for example Ghostbusters comparison *PIX* - Page 4 - AVS Forum

Yup, I was following that thread for a while and the 2005 DVD is my only point of reference so YMMV or MMMV
wink.gif

Aug 29, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #119 of 161
Bad news, has anyone been listening to reviews etc on the Gladiator transfer. It's apparently very crappy.
frown.gif
My only anticipated release anytime soon (asides from LOTR, which still hasn't been confirmed for Australia yet) and it apparently has a very subpar video transfer. :'(

[edit: wow, me thinks this thread is dead].

Sep 2, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #120 of 161
Not dead just not all that active... we obviously have only a small handful home HT enthusiast there so fwiw.....

Top new today? Just got done watching Braveheart and am very impressed with this title. Picture looks stunning an there does not appear to have been any tampering with the original print. I never remember see this movie like this even in theaters. The image is just so shaper and clear with so much depth and the gorgeous punched up colors of the landscape... a very well done title and one of my all time favorite films. The audio track does not make much use of the surrounds but hot damn does that score sound like heaven on my Aperion rig in TrueHD.

Next I have to watch Gladiator... I already know this one have been severely molested so I'm going in with a bad attitude, Hopefully my smaller 58" screed will be more forgiving than those reviewers out there with the 102 projectors and all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back