Blu-ray movie discussion thread (pics added - page 1 & 7)
Sep 2, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #122 of 161
So after trying to watch The Descent (Australian all-region release) on the ps3 and being disappointed, Sony has fixed the issue with firmware 3.0! I'm impressed, Sony and fixing mistakes don't usually go together.

Fortunately I didn't have to import it at inflated prices, I thought that blu-rays 'just played' on the ps3, but that's not always the case.

Woah Audition on Bluray? I wonder if HD will do it improve it at all, I wasn't even watching some scenes!

Sep 8, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #123 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So after trying to watch The Descent (Australian all-region release) on the ps3 and being disappointed, Sony has fixed the issue with firmware 3.0! I'm impressed, Sony and fixing mistakes don't usually go together.

Fortunately I didn't have to import it at inflated prices, I thought that blu-rays 'just played' on the ps3, but that's not always the case.

Woah Audition on Bluray? I wonder if HD will do it improve it at all, I wasn't even watching some scenes!

The dvd was pretty hideous so shouldn't take much to be an improvement but it would be nice to see a good transfer. Sept. is starting to look like a real mixed bag. A few early screen shots of American Werewolf in London don't look much different from the HDDVD but I'm remaining hopeful. Creepshow has had a few favorable comments but I'm still waiting for any early feedback on Silverado and Wrong Turn. I should have my copy of Gladiator this week but after what I've read and how good Braveheart was I'm expecting disappointment.

Also I got notification from amazon that my preorder for Snatch was delayed until Dec!
mad.gif

Sep 8, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #124 of 161
Ready to join the BD club here, system upgrade in place, life is good:

Sony Bravia 52" LCD (KDL-52V5100)
Oppo BDP 83

Been renting BD from Netflix and I am hooked big time, money will be spent!
I previously had Oppo 981 which was very good for standard DVD, but the Anchor Bay VRS in Oppo BDP 83 even better up converting DVD acheived.

Next week BD purchase:
Bourne Ultimatum Trilogy
Ultimate Matrix Collection

Definite future BD purchase:
Lost Season 1-5
Alien Quadrilogy
LOTR Extended Editions

Sep 9, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #126 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also will rent Goldfinger (James Bond) from Netflix to see how good a 40+ year old movie can look in BD...........

If you really want to see how good an old movie can look get 2001: A Space Odyssey...

Sep 9, 2009 at 12:34 PM Post #127 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you really want to see how good an old movie can look get 2001: A Space Odyssey...

I have also read about the work on BD version of Wizard of Oz to be
released end of this month, says it will be amazing acheivement and a BD reference.........70th Anniversary of 1939 movie.

Staggering technical details of scanning original technicolor film negatives in 8K resolution requiring 22 terabytes of storage, very interesting background

Wizard of Oz

51xYNiMIjyL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Sep 9, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #128 of 161
+ 1 for old movie BD goodness, got through my 5 disc edition of blade runner. cant wait to check all the versions out soonest, also waiting for 2010 the space oddyssey sequel
popcorn.gif
which is underrated and has great FX

Sep 9, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #129 of 161
Page 7 has been updated with Braveheart images
tongue.gif

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #130 of 161
I bought a panasonic full-hd plasma a week ago and finally got to watch the dark knight on blu-ray, I just couldnt believe my eyes! I didnt pay much for my plasma and I couldnt be happier.
smily_headphones1.gif
those IMAX scenes look freakin' awesome!

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #131 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Top new today? Just got done watching Braveheart and am very impressed with this title. Picture looks stunning an there does not appear to have been any tampering with the original print. I never remember see this movie like this even in theaters. The image is just so shaper and clear with so much depth and the gorgeous punched up colors of the landscape... a very well done title and one of my all time favorite films. The audio track does not make much use of the surrounds but hot damn does that score sound like heaven on my Aperion rig in TrueHD.

the only flaw i can find with braveheart is something that has to be a technical glitch... and that's the jaggies that appear during the first 20-30minutes... mostly noticable on text and on a couple of shots of mountains against sky

nothing as major as the mess that is gladiator but still a blemish on an otherwise perfect disc

Sep 10, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #133 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the only flaw i can find with braveheart is something that has to be a technical glitch... and that's the jaggies that appear during the first 20-30minutes... mostly noticable on text and on a couple of shots of mountains against sky

nothing as major as the mess that is gladiator but still a blemish on an otherwise perfect disc

It just sounds like your sharpness setting is set to high.

Sep 10, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #134 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You know I read Whiggles (avs member) review and saw him make the same observation but to be honest I did not notice it. Now that it's been pointed out to me I'm sure a second viewing would reveal it but @ 8' from my 58" Pany palsma I did not find anything distracting about this transfer, quite the opposite actually.

Silverado seems to be getting some good feedback (grain haters beware!) and it's only $14.99 at Walmart
popcorn.gif

Sep 10, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #135 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It just sounds like your sharpness setting is set to high.

my sharpness setting is set to 0

i only noticed it twice during the part of the movie when the jaggies occur

once on some text and once on some mountains... but i should mention i was looking for them as i had already seen the screenshots

with some luck maybe paramount will do a replacement program with discs that don't have what is probably just some kind of encoding error... if not no real loss

but getting off braveheart's one small flaw... i'm deeply disappointed in the screenshots i've seen of the Gojira bluray... reminds me of a dollar store DVD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back