BGVP discussion thread DM7/ DM6/DMG and NEW BA series
Jan 29, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #2,027 of 5,353
Guys, consensus, which would be the best tips for the DM6's?

I was using the Symbio W Peel tips, but I've switched to THESE silicone tips from New Bee. They have the exact same size and fit as the Symbios but they seem to be slightly more comfortable over long periods of time.

Jan 29, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #2,028 of 5,353
Big big fan of the Kz stars. They're extremely cheap, so might as well order a pair because they'll take a minute to come. The symbios were nice but the mediums put too much pressure on my ears after a while and then other sizes just didn't work (peeled mediums didn't feel isolate well at all for me). Dunno what the magic of the stars is, but it works for me.

Jan 29, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #2,029 of 5,353

I have tried many, the latest were the new bee medium which yielded the most bass but a tad congested between the mid bass and sub bass making them sound a tad weird, also a tad harder feeling on your ears.

I went back n forth with the stock dark grey large size that came with the dm6, and while it yields a tad less bass than the new bee tips, it sounded natural and better overall, instruments are clearer and bass between the sub n mid bass are not crowded. So far the stock grey large size are the winner. The kz star are in second place medium size.

Jan 29, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #2,030 of 5,353
Hi Guys,

This post aims at recognising Stephen from Linsoul Tech for his great work. I made an order for a custom BGVP DM6 headphones in the last day of the Massdrop campaign and received them yesterday after a normal 4-5 day customs clearance delay. Stephen was great in assisting me in every step of the way, from the beginning when I had lots of questions regarding customisation and, more recently, regarding customs clearance.

He is a stellar fellow. I highly recommend his services.

Now a photo of my new "babies" :gs1000smile:

And boy... do they sound great! :L3000:

IMG_20190129_223236_Bokeh.jpg

Jan 29, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #2,031 of 5,353
Hi Guys,

This post aims at recognising Stephen from Linsoul Tech for his great work. I made an order for a custom BGVP DM6 headphones in the last day of the Massdrop campaign and received them yesterday after a normal 4-5 day customs clearance delay. Stephen was great in assisting me in every step of the way, from the beginning when I had lots of questions regarding customisation and, more recently, regarding customs clearance.

He is a stellar fellow. I highly recommend his services.

Now a photo of my new "babies" :gs1000smile:

And boy... do they sound great! :L3000:

Very cool design!! And yes, I don't remember whom I spoke to at Linsoul (I ordered through their Amazon store at the end of November), but they were extremely helpful (i.e. they answered my, "HEY, ARE THEY HERE YET? ARE THEY HERE YET? HOW BOUT NOW??" questions quickly and helpfully each time) and got me the shipment by basically the first day of the month-long delivery window.

Jan 29, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #2,032 of 5,353
On an unrelated note, but back to the DAC/amp/et c. note:

I was trying to see how, exactly, MQA playback works on Android. It's still not ultra clear to me; my current understanding is that the decoding is purely a matter of software, and the Tidal app now takes care of that on all Android devices—someone correct me if I'm wrong on that, and need special hardware to take advantage of MQA playback. (Whether MQA is even good is another question that came up in my research, but that's for another time and place probably.)

I stumbled across a comparison of USB C dongles on XDA (an Android enthusiast/developer site, for those unfamiliar), which may be of interest to people here without dedicated DAPs—which makes some sense when talking about a 20Ω IEM with 122dB/mW sensitivity. If you check the first page, you can see specifically the tests the user performed, and the devices. They are:

• Google stock dongle
  • HTC dongle
  • Razer dongle
  • Geekria dongle
  • Realtec dongle
  • Audiolab dongle
  • Dragonfly Red (would need USB C -> A adapter, also it's $200)
  • Apple dongle
Long story short: Apple's is pretty great for high-sensitivity devices like IEMs (Google's is good but not as good, and their newer model is worse than their older one). The Apple dongle has non-negligibly lower distortion below 1kHz than even the Dragonfly Red, only .2Ω impedance, 75dB unloaded crosstalk, 1V output (though it won't use that for something as sensitive as the DM6, is my understanding), and a 113dB SnR. It's also $9 shipped and very small:

I'm no professional, but for people with fancier setups that don't quite cost into the thousands of dollars, it seems like it'd be worth it to order one of these, slap it onto your phone's USB C port, and see how it compares to whatever you're currently using. (there's also more specific testing done
here.)

also, head-fi's formatting sucks complete ass and i'm not going to spend any more time trying to fix this half-baked BBcode BS.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #2,033 of 5,353
Good motto.
I’m loving the LG right now. I have it streaming Diana Krall from Tidal at MQA 24/192 and it’s doing the job sweet. Not many top end DAP’s can do this as well.

Bigger smile on my face is because I have just tracked my DM6 and it’s in the UK after being missing for weeks :D

Time to order the obligatory OCC cable. Cheap NiceHK High Purity Cooper Vs BGVP OCC ? Got to decide now.
Same here. Love my LG V30 with my DM6s! Have you tried the Android app - USB Audio Player Pro? (UAPP) Its a great music app that takes advantage of the underlying V30 Quad DAC hardware and optimizes playback. UAPP has full Tidal Integration (once you buy the app you just log into your Tidal account) and I think it sounds even better than the native Tidal app playing Masters tracks. UAPP playback does the unfolding of MQA and plays it back at the full 24/48, 24/96, or 24/192Khz bit rate depending on the Masters album. If you haven't used it you should definitely check it out on your LG phone.

Here's the URL for info on UAPP:

http://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/products/usb-audio-player-pro

Diana Krall is amazing and Tidal has a lot of her Masters Albums. I've seen her live a few times, but listening to her on the DM6 with UAPP streaming Tidal Masters recordings is the next best thing!
thumbnail_IMG_3604.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #2,034 of 5,353
On an unrelated note, but back to the DAC/amp/et c. note:

I was trying to see how, exactly, MQA playback works on Android. It's still not ultra clear to me; my current understanding is that the decoding is purely a matter of software, and the Tidal app now takes care of that on all Android devices—someone correct me if I'm wrong on that, and need special hardware to take advantage of MQA playback. (Whether MQA is even good is another question that came up in my research, but that's for another time and place probably.)

I stumbled across a comparison of USB C dongles on XDA (an Android enthusiast/developer site, for those unfamiliar), which may be of interest to people here without dedicated DAPs—which makes some sense when talking about a 20Ω IEM with 122dB/mW sensitivity. If you check the https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-2-xl/how-to/pixel-usb-c-audio-measurements-t3691535]first page[/url], you can see specifically the tests the user performed, and the devices. They are:

• Google stock dongle
  • HTC dongle
  • Razer dongle
  • Geekria dongle
  • Realtec dongle
  • Audiolab dongle
  • Dragonfly Red (would need USB C -> A adapter, also it's $200)
  • ]Apple dongle

Long story short: Apple's is pretty great for high-sensitivity devices like IEMs (Google's is good but not as good, and their newer model is worse than their older one). The Apple dongle has non-negligibly lower distortion below 1kHz than even the Dragonfly Red, only .2Ω impedance, 75dB unloaded crosstalk, 1V output (though it won't use that for something as sensitive as the DM6, is my understanding), and a 113dB SnR. It's also $9 shipped and very small:

I'm no professional, but for people with fancier setups that don't quite cost into the thousands of dollars, it seems like it'd be worth it to order one of these, slap it onto your phone's USB C port, and see how it compares to whatever you're currently using. (there's also more specific testing done
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-apple-vs-google-usb-c-headphone-adapters.5541/]here.)

The Apple 3.5mm adapter is one device that is overlooked by too many. I enjoy the sound more using it with my iPhone MX than the LG V30 with its Quad DAC.

Also as Android upsamples 44k to 48k it translates into annoying background hiss using the Tidal app on the LG with the DM6. No such issues on the iPhone with the apple adapter.

@mr.karmalicious Any background hiss when using the apple adapter with your pixel & Tidal ?

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #2,035 of 5,353
The Apple 3.5mm adapter is one device that is overlooked by too many. I enjoy the sound more using it with my iPhone MX than the LG V30 with its Quad DAC.

Also as Android upsamples 44k to 48k it translates into annoying background hiss using the Tidal app on the LG with the DM6. No such issues on the iPhone with the apple adapter.

@mr.karmalicious Any background hiss when using the apple adapter with your pixel & Tidal ?
Ah, I had read about that background hiss on the V30 and didn't know why it should happen—now I see!

I haven't heard any noise at all from this adapter, but I just started trying Tidal a night or two ago. Let me try right now and see if I get any noise at anything approaching reasonable volume settings... nope, even at 100% (where usually 50-60% is about right), I'm not hearing anything. I'll take another listen when I'm home in the dead of night to see if that changes anything, but I've already listened on this setup (Pixel 3 w/ Tidal Masters -> Apple USB C dongle -> DM6) at like 4am in my bed and didn't hear anything untoward.

Jan 29, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #2,036 of 5,353

You are correct all 16 bit tracks on the native Tidal App (as well as other music apps) playback on Android devices at 16 bit, 48KHz. But, the UAPP app bypasses/corrects this and will play files back Bit Perfect. I believe Android, at least the V30, only has issues with 16bit tracks. The 24-bit Tidal Masters all play back on Android at the correct bit rates with the native Tidal App.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #2,037 of 5,353
@MAK1975 Thanks for the rec and I’m already using it since day one of owning LG.
Shame Tidal doesn’t allow UAPP to playback offline tracks as it can correctly play 44k ones without upsampling.

Tidal app interface is nicer than UAPP for its streaming tracks and than they bodge it up with upsampling. All none upsampled MQA tracks sound great of course.

Looks like you are using an extension lead to enable AUX mode ?

I ended up rooting the LG this weekend so I can ditch using additional adapters to enable the Aux mode. Root Mod works well.

@mr.karmalicious only 16/44 tracks suffer. Would love to hear a comparison of sound quality by someone with LG V30 and the USB C Apple adapter attached.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #2,038 of 5,353
@MAK1975 Thanks for the rec and I’m already using it since day one of owning LG.
Shame Tidal doesn’t allow UAPP to playback offline tracks as it can correctly play 44k ones without upsampling.

Tidal app interface is nicer than UAPP for its streaming tracks and than they bodge it up with upsampling. All none upsampled MQA tracks sound great of course.

Looks like you are using an extension lead to enable AUX mode ?

I ended up rooting the LG this weekend so I can ditch using additional adapters to enable the Aux mode. Root Mod works well.

@mr.karmalicious only 16/44 tracks suffer. Would love to hear a comparison of sound quality by someone with LG V30 and the USB C Apple adapter attached.
One maybe relevant thing--I think the Apple dongle always samples at 44, so that might be a Thing? If someone wants to name a 16/44 album, I'd be happy to at least test that out. No V30 to play with, unfortunately!

Jan 29, 2019 at 10:08 PM Post #2,040 of 5,353

in order of my personal preference: Symbio peel > KZ star tips > JVC Spiral dots

Users who are viewing this thread

Back